Bargain Spanish Back Four

Johnny Bravo
1303 posts Professional
I'm looking at building a team with a Spaniosh back four but all cheap/bargain players.

At the moment the only certainty is De Marcos at RB.

At LB I was looking at Gaya and Moreno, maybe Bernat.

CB is most likely between Inigo Martinez, Victor Ruiz and Mikel Gonzalez.

Can anyone recommend any others or which of these they have tried and liked.

Mikel Gonzalez intrigues me a lot, his stats look fantastic for a CB, good height and strength, enough pace to get by, can pass which is essential for a CB with my playing style. I feel like I'm missing something with him though as haven't seen anyone else use or mention him. Is this just because he is a non-rare?

Any help from those that have used Spanish defenders would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• PassingThoughts
    542 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'm looking at building a team with a Spaniosh back four but all cheap/bargain players.

Mikel Gonzalez intrigues me a lot, his stats look fantastic for a CB, good height and strength, enough pace to get by, can pass which is essential for a CB with my playing style. I feel like I'm missing something with him though as haven't seen anyone else use or mention him. Is this just because he is a non-rare?

Any help from those that have used Spanish defenders would be greatly appreciated.

Gaya is a good LB, only don't use him as I love Tremoulinas
    Juanfran is solid for me with height although De Marcos looks adequate this year
    Mikel Gonzalez is a good CB and I also like Ruiz who seems faster than his stats
  • BlitzersNL
    25004 posts Player of the Year
    edited November 2015
    Gaya-Inigo Martinez-Mikel Gonzalez-De Marcos
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional

Gaya is a good LB, only don't use him as I love Tremoulinas
    Juanfran is solid for me with height although De Marcos looks adequate this year
    Mikel Gonzalez is a good CB and I also like Ruiz who seems faster than his stats

Would you recommend Ruiz then? Was leaning towards him and Gonzalez as I don't like CB's less than 6ft in height.
  • Auslo17
    1341 posts Professional
    Inigo is the best budget and then Gonzalez
  • Ryanomates
    1949 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bartra - not sure how much he is?

Bernat is really good.

Inigo Martinez is worth a shout
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional
    Is Balenziaga worth a look for LB? Decent weak foot, passing, stamina and crossing as I like my full backs to get forward and chuck a few crosses into the big men. Llorente in this case and maybe Morata off the bench.
  • ukler8
    4770 posts National Call-Up
    Moreno is brilliant. Must try him out, among the others mentioned, I have only tried De Marcos who was just pace for me.
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional
    ukler8 wrote: »
    Moreno is brilliant. Must try him out, among the others mentioned, I have only tried De Marcos who was just pace for me.

Really? I've found De Marcos very good defensively and he's fairly strong and good in the air for a full back. I have more issues with him going forward than defensively as he doesn't seem to have that final ball. Overall though I still find him very good value.
  • ukler8
    4770 posts National Call-Up
    ukler8 wrote: »

Really? I've found De Marcos very good defensively and he's fairly strong and good in the air for a full back. I have more issues with him going forward than defensively as he doesn't seem to have that final ball. Overall though I still find him very good value.

De Marcos was one of my fav FB's last year, but this year he just didn't feel right for some reason despite having almost the same stats.
  • Crowie
    1420 posts Professional
    Both Juanfran and Carvajal are excellent for me at RB.
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional
    Crowie wrote: »
    Both Juanfran and Carvajal are excellent for me at RB.

Juanfran is very good, wasn't too fussed with Carvajal though.
  • jackm57
    2427 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ruiz won be draft.

Twice.

He is so much better than the stats say.
  • Bevan
    1753 posts Play-Off Hero
    Tremoulinas is the best LB on the game hands down. Love him. (I know he's not bargain, but get him).
  • Jason1986
    7099 posts Big Money Move
    Gaya was awful for me, always out of position. Had Moreno a few times in draft and he was decent, not made a team to stick him in yet though.

Inigo Martinez would be my first choice, quality all round centre half.
  • 0113MB
    950 posts Semi-Pro
    awesome spanish nub squads this year my starter had martinez gaya de marcos all packed with deuleufeu and one of the cheaper spanish league keepers, felt weak tbh though spanish man all over the park
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional
    So in the end I went with Moreno-Gonzalez-Ruiz-De Marcos.

De Marcos was brilliant but I've used him many times before so knew what to expect. Moreno was awful, seemed to get caught out going forward but was never up with play when I was attacking. On the rare occasions he was available to receive the ball he didn't do anything effective with it and felt weak in the challenge. Swapped him out for Balenziaga who I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a cheap LB, so solid defensively and is comfortable on the ball and with his pasing so I'll be using him in future teams.

Ruiz and Gonzalez were steady but nothing incredible, prefer Gonzalez of the two but he seemed to want to get forward and step out of defence a lot which I didn't expect with his work rates. Will be taking Ruiz out though to try Martinez, Gonzalez is tall/physical enough to cover for what I perceive to be a weakness of Martinez.

The rest of the team (4141) was Iborra, Deulofeu, Benat, Parejo, Capel and Llorente.

Iborra is completely dominant and a great passer of the ball, I started so many attacks through him by either playing it from my CB's to him or having him nick the ball off an opposing player.

Delofeu and Capel are what you would expect in that they're quick, nippy, technical and a nightmare for CB's if you can get one on one with them after cutting in. Both have a semi-decent cross too which is good to keep full backs guessing.

Benat is ok but I'm gonna take him out as he was outshone by Parejo who scored 5 in 4 with most of them coming from range after a Llorente lay off. Parejo passes, dribbles and shoots beautifully and is fast becoming one of my favourite cards, I should have used him a lot more by now than I have. As I said Benat is ok but he just lacks a cutting edge in open play, his dead ball delivery is amazing though.

Llorente is fantastic, he can bulldoze through players and if he gets on the wrong side of a defender they aren't getting back on the right side. Feels quicker than his pace stats suggest and wins everything in the air with ease. Can hold off any player and creates space for other players, has a tidy finish too and will knock in any cross with his head that's even vaguely near him. I expected I'd score goals with him given how I play but I didn't anticipate how well get would work almost as a playmaker. For the price I can't recommend him highly enough.
  • Crespo86
    654 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Quick tip switch benat for Borja Valero and thank me later
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional
    Crespo86 wrote: »
    Quick tip switch benat for Borja Valero and thank me later

I have Valero in another team, I've moved him in that one to CDM too as I find he performs a lot better in that role with another CDM who is more physical.
  • D14
    3539 posts National Call-Up
    Is Balenziaga worth a look for LB? Decent weak foot, passing, stamina and crossing as I like my full backs to get forward and chuck a few crosses into the big men. Llorente in this case and maybe Morata off the bench.

I use him in this cheap squad -

86fd2eabecb2a845c933f16a3fa5cfce.png

Positioning is excellent, really enjoyed him
  • Terminator
    8655 posts League Winner
    D14 wrote: »

Try Gaspar as RB
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional
    D14 wrote: »

Nice team, I've used six of those so far I think.

Bebe is much better than you would expect for a 75 card this year, nice all round striker.
  • Dodds
    9254 posts League Winner
    I hated De Marcos at RB, until I had to use him at CM in Draft for chemistry.

One of the best defensive players at CM I've used so far :joy: