The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

What do you do on your goal kicks?

FreddieKane
702 posts An Exciting Prospect
I've always struggled with what to do off goal kicks if my first option is taken.

I tend to do a 1-2 bar kick to either the fullback or the player just ahead of the fullback but if the opposition sits a guy between these two I normally turn the ball over.

What do you do?

Comments

• BlitzersNL
    24991 posts Player of the Year
    Punt it to my striker
  • Ryanomates
    1949 posts Fans' Favourite
    Normally try to have a tall striker in my team and pump if up to them
  • FreddieKane
    edited November 2015
    BlitzersNL wrote: »
    Punt it to my striker

I feel for me this tends to just get headed back into midfield and more often than not ends up with the opposition dribbling at my centre backs :/
  • BlitzersNL
    24991 posts Player of the Year
    Punt it to my striker

I feel for methis tends to just get headed back into midfield and more often than not ends up with the opposition dribbling at my centre backs :/

Probably depends on your striker though. I prefer bigger strikers so they usually win headers from goalkicks
  • FreddieKane
    Punt it to my striker

I feel for methis tends to just get headed back into midfield and more often than not ends up with the opposition dribbling at my centre backs :/

Probably depends on your striker though. I prefer bigger strikers so they usually win headers from goalkicks

Yeah good point. I play 4411 so the midfield tends to get bypassed a lot if I don't win the ball.
  • Scottish21
    2236 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wings, Ibra or cdms.
  • I usually play it out to a fullback or chipped through to a CM, they're usually in plenty of space.
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    I'd usually pass it short to a side back or a centre back if I see they're unmarked. I'm a kind of "let's short-pass the ball upfield" guy so starting building the play from the defense feels natural to me.
    Occasionally, when my opponent tries to close down the defenders, I punt it upfield and see what happens.
  • Dunk
    2012 posts Fans' Favourite
    push players up, chip to full backs
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Short unless he's pressuring my defenders
  • JonBRFC
    568 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Wait for them to stand in front of my cb,then pass it to an unmarked player.
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional
    Always go to the big man up top with a long ball, I know passing it to one of the short options is relatively easy but I just don't deem it worth the risk because I have got it wrong before.

Out of interest, will holding R1 a goal kick perform a driven pass or does it only work like that in open play. Never occurred to me to try it.
  • Alemas_2012
    16558 posts World Class
    Lob it to one of my CDMs. If the midfield's too crowded, one of my wingers/fullbacks.
  • musa18
    336 posts Sunday League Hero
    Depends. One of my bronze squads is 5atb with a tall LWB. Pass to him. In another squad I've got Eremenko as CM. Pass to him unless the other guy has a tall player there.

Got IF Long in my BPL squad. Pass to him unless he's got tall centrebacks with good aerial ability. If he has, maybe I'll pass to Barkley at RCM, if he doesn't have a tall player there.

If I'm playing a wide formation, and he plays a narrow one, I often pass it out wide. Sometimes I play it short to CB, if his ST are far away and I doubt he will try to trick me into passing to CB.

Got Brustad in a bronze squad. Pass to him unless opponents got a tall LCB. If that's the case, maybe I'll pass to Ovenstad at CAM or one of my tall CMs. Always take his players into consideration.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Full power kick, aimed in the direction of my tallest attacker (or the best at jumping if none are that tall).
  • TWS001
    2214 posts Fans' Favourite
    Normally I play with a target man type striker, so aim at IF Slimani. He wins the majority of headers against CDM's or CB's. Just sold my IF Steven Fletcher side where that tactic was also successful.
    Also if you have a winger that is bigger than his opposing full back, I aim at him. El Ghazi is good for this.

Have just made a 4222 with IF Charles up with Bifouma at striker and Rafinha and Taison as CAM's. The main problem in the two games I played so far with it is nobody to hit on goalkicks.
  • Littleland95
    17327 posts Moderator
    Put it out for a throw-in.

More chance to get the ball then.
  • eltoro
    1758 posts Play-Off Hero
    Mix it up all the time or you'll get read pretty quickly. Keep em guessing
  • G000ner
    4589 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2015
    I've always struggled with what to do off goal kicks if my first option is taken.

I tend to do a 1-2 bar kick to either the fullback or the player just ahead of the fullback but if the opposition sits a guy between these two I normally turn the ball over.

What do you do?

Exactly this. Occasionally I do a 1/2 bar power kick to the centre back who's not short, but it usually results in me conceding.
  • xCOLLISx
    520 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Short to the full back, if he's marked then push them up and chip it to them, still no clear path then I just punt it to the wings hoping to hit a wideman, prefer it out there than losing it in the middle and having them run straight for your center backs.
  • DSD27
    5712 posts Big Money Move
    Put it out for a throw-in.

More chance to get the ball then.

ahahahaha
  • DSD27
    5712 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2015
    I just go max power to my striker (Mandzukic) and when its not him its another target man like him.
  • JCXIX
    178 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    three bars to LW or RW everytime, usually in acres of space
  • Auslo17
    1341 posts Professional
    Hit it to my striker. I love when people chip it short because eventually I figure it out and I select a guy close to where it is going to go and run over right when the bar charges up. Then if I win the header I only have the d line to beat
  • Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    it is truly amazing that in a football game, what you do off GKicks is so critical
  • Xtc
    All because we have a game where quick thought from deadballs is punished as man is faster than the ball.
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    Xtc wrote: »
    it is truly amazing that in a football game, what you do off GKicks is so critical

Indeed. :)

I drop mine in between full back and LCAM/RCAM, normally my Fullback will collect it leaving me to attack down the wing. But I guess it largely matters what formation you're using.
  • Johnny Bravo
    1303 posts Professional

I wouldn't say it was any more so than in a real game of football. How do you think the goal kicks differ from what you'd see in a real life game?
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero

I wouldn't say it was any more so than in a real game of football. How do you think the goal kicks differ from what you'd see in a real life game?

In a real football game you wouldn't have the opponents striker bearing down on you within half a second of distribution to fullbacks to be fair.
  • Xtc
    Exactly. and they don't sprint in circles to try and intercept. to be honest I can't believe that you are asking a serious question.