Guide to the Christmas Tree Formation: 4-3-2-1

Comments

• xciljw
    5024 posts Big Money Move
    siavash777 wrote: »
    tanx for the reply mate . I started with this formation on Monday using the squad u built for me .
    so far 2 win 1 draw and 12 Loses . I got relegated to Div 6 .

not blaming the Formation , but it doesnt seem to work for me at all , I can't defend .
    everyone seem to walk trough my Mid and Def .

Im gonna read the guide again and give it one more try today

tanx again :)

@siavash777

Unfortunately a formation is not working for anyone. It is hard defending, I agree on that. It is considered one of the weaknesses of the formation. Hopefully this other try will turn it around and get you in some winning streak.

Btw, I have included some gameplay in the opening post in case you are wondering how I play with the formation. It may help you.

• Loke1
    401 posts Sunday League Hero
    Hi mate.

I must say that I appreciate what you do for the community here. I am struggling in the lower leagues, and before I found your guide, and I have to say, watched your gameplay, I fumbled. No at least I can hold my own much of the time defensively. I get som nice goals from mids, but I have a harder time getting my forwards involved.

This is the team I have right now. I send it like this, not because it is perfect in chem, but to see what direction you could send me. I guess i would have around 5 - 700 k if I sell out some players. Love a combo of Serie and Brazil, but it seems that german players must play a part, if a long time team should be made. What do you think?

Again, you really spend a lot of time in the community, I hope you feel the love from the rest.

Peace out.

1e5eaa0fa24f2bd608548619d77c2741.png

• fishLuke
    32 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Loke1 wrote: »
    Hi mate.

I must say that I appreciate what you do for the community here. I am struggling in the lower leagues, and before I found your guide, and I have to say, watched your gameplay, I fumbled. No at least I can hold my own much of the time defensively. I get som nice goals from mids, but I have a harder time getting my forwards involved.

This is the team I have right now. I send it like this, not because it is perfect in chem, but to see what direction you could send me. I guess i would have around 5 - 700 k if I sell out some players. Love a combo of Serie and Brazil, but it seems that german players must play a part, if a long time team should be made. What do you think?

Again, you really spend a lot of time in the community, I hope you feel the love from the rest.

Peace out.

You could probably build a top tier Bundesliga team.
  • JSaintUK
    208 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    xciljw wrote: »
    JSaintUK wrote: »
    Hey mate, I followed you guide last year to great success. Another great guide! Was wondering if you minded making me a team for 60k? Would be much appreciated.

Lovely to see people that tried my guide last year are willing to give it a go this year as well. Thanks! I made the following for you. Hope you like it!

507b6db9a42933136c45ffd96a99f6ee.png

Looks great, had a slight hope you'd put Konoplyanka in, so that's great :)
  • Wanton
    77 posts Park Captain
    edited November 2015
    here is my gameplay would much appreciate some help :) you see my biggest problem is creating chances... Hope other people can learn some things too by this video

Btw it's only 1 half otherwise it would have taken ages to upload :)
  • xciljw
    Hi mate.

Peace out.

@Loke1 Thanks a lot. Have to say it was hard dealing with this question, so don't blame me if the answer is satisfying. Just keep asking more questions if I have not dealt with something you wanted me to discuss or inform you about.

It was really hard with you having these players and try to make it Serie A and Brazil and get it on full chem. Is that really the team you are playing with or is it just a team made up of players you have at the moment?

My first effort to get you a team started with Hulk, knowing that Witsel would link with Nainggolan. I got to the following:

17c672df7c54169a60b9d481194d0f8e.png

Looking back at that time I believe I let myself and therefore you down as it includes a very few Brazilian players, though there is lots of Serie A involved. Then I decided to try it again with Hulk as striker. It got me a better Brazilian / Serie A mixed squad:

f166ae16c8af5c18859cdd628ed4d5f6.png

Not many things you can improve in here. Don't know if it fits the budget from 5-700k, but it definitely seems like a very nice team that fits your requirements (Brazil/Serie A). German league players are absolutely great, for example Reus, Robben, Lewandowski, Vidal, Alaba, Boateng and I can continue for some time and they are easy to link and therefore very popular to play with. I hope that that last squad showed you that a very nice team can be built with Brazil/Serie A mixed players as well. Marchisio, Chiellini and Lichtsteiner are one of the best options in their position for this formation and Neymar, Hulk, Thiago Silva are pure class. Marcelo is also one of the best LBs.

It costs me a lot of time, definitely, but as long as it is useful for others and they enjoy the game better because of it, it is all worth it. The time I invest in it is only a small bit of the time they enjoy it.
  • xciljw
    Wanton wrote: »
    here is my gameplay would much appreciate some help :) you see my biggest problem is creating chances... Hope other people can learn some things too by this video

@Wanton Thanks for sharing your gameplay. I actually watched it 2 or 3 times now and noticed a couple of things. I will start off positive. I noticed that you did exactly what was described in the guide when you got that goal kick. Calling players short and ball to the full back. Kept you on the ball in this case. I also noticed that you used some driven passes from the centre back to the full back when the space is there. Like that very much as well, just as some good quick passing at times.

Some points for improvements I noticed are the following:
    - You are very focussed on playing through the centre of the pitch. Try to make more use of the space the full backs get. It will force your opponent to get a player to press your full back, a player that would normally crowd the midfield. Therefore if this player starts pressing, it will create more space in the centre of the pitch and should make it easier to play decent football.
    - I noticed sometimes you did not face the player you wanted to pass to, which results most of the times in a very bad pass and therefore you lose the ball. Just something to pay attention to, but did not happen too often.
    - I thought that you often waited very long with your CM to pass the ball. You turn around and you turn around again and for me it was like waiting for turning the wrong way, losing the ball and the opponent creating a good chance. Could be that is combined with trying to play through the centre, that you were trying to find the solution there.
    - I mentioned seeing some decent quick passing at times. I noticed that you often try to keep it going too far, if you get what I mean. So you did 2 till 4 quick passes and you got the ball to a player unmarked close to the box and you continued quick passing into the box, which is impossible with the defenders in there. So right there just control the ball more often. Even if your player is marked, control the ball and dribble in the direction with space, so you stay on the ball when there is no option to keep passing. Stay calm and don't force the pass to players that have limited space around them.

Hope this might help a little. It is hard to comment, knowing every person has his or her own style of playing this game. I think it might be a good idea to watch it back yourself and compare it with the same situations in the game I posted earlier (which is in the opening post) and look for similarities and differences. It might give you an idea of what can be improved and in what way it can be improved. It is always easier to understand things when you can visualize it (like in a video) then when it is just plain text like this.
  • FredDarrell
    940 posts Professional
    edited November 2015
    Do you think those squads can work mate

This one -> http://www.futbin.com/16/squad/51096

Calhanoglu is to offensive i think, i can swap him for vidal, but i really like calhanoglu haha (maybe i can put him at st)

And this one -> http://www.futbin.com/16/squad/51098

I'm not sure if kroos and rakitic are fast enough to play there, just like xhaka on the first squad

Thanks a lot!
  • Wanton
    77 posts Park Captain

@Wanton Thanks for sharing your gameplay. I actually watched it 2 or 3 times now and noticed a couple of things. I will start off positive. I noticed that you did exactly what was described in the guide when you got that goal kick. Calling players short and ball to the full back. Kept you on the ball in this case. I also noticed that you used some driven passes from the centre back to the full back when the space is there. Like that very much as well, just as some good quick passing at times.

Some points for improvements I noticed are the following:
    - You are very focussed on playing through the centre of the pitch. Try to make more use of the space the full backs get. It will force your opponent to get a player to press your full back, a player that would normally crowd the midfield. Therefore if this player starts pressing, it will create more space in the centre of the pitch and should make it easier to play decent football.
    - I noticed sometimes you did not face the player you wanted to pass to, which results most of the times in a very bad pass and therefore you lose the ball. Just something to pay attention to, but did not happen too often.
    - I thought that you often waited very long with your CM to pass the ball. You turn around and you turn around again and for me it was like waiting for turning the wrong way, losing the ball and the opponent creating a good chance. Could be that is combined with trying to play through the centre, that you were trying to find the solution there.
    - I mentioned seeing some decent quick passing at times. I noticed that you often try to keep it going too far, if you get what I mean. So you did 2 till 4 quick passes and you got the ball to a player unmarked close to the box and you continued quick passing into the box, which is impossible with the defenders in there. So right there just control the ball more often. Even if your player is marked, control the ball and dribble in the direction with space, so you stay on the ball when there is no option to keep passing. Stay calm and don't force the pass to players that have limited space around them.

Hope this might help a little. It is hard to comment, knowing every person has his or her own style of playing this game. I think it might be a good idea to watch it back yourself and compare it with the same situations in the game I posted earlier (which is in the opening post) and look for similarities and differences. It might give you an idea of what can be improved and in what way it can be improved. It is always easier to understand things when you can visualize it (like in a video) then when it is just plain text like this.

Great thx man for the patience i will try the tipps :) yea I will watch you're video and compare it...
    I will try you're tipps and maybe if it works better i will upload another video
  • xciljw

Calhanoglu is to offensive i think, i can swap him for vidal, but i really like calhanoglu haha (maybe i can put him at st)

I'm not sure if kroos and rakitic are fast enough to play there, just like xhaka on the first squad

Thanks a lot!

@FredDarrell

On the first squad (Bundesliga):
    Would not use Calhanoglu and Xhaka. Rest of the squad looks decent. Xhaka is very allround but does not have the pace needed to get up and down the pitch over and over again. So he does not suit being a box-to-box midfielder. Calhanoglu is a great player, agree with you, but not in this formation unfortunately. Does not suit as CM and not as striker unfortunately. I would prefer Kruse over him at ST. I would play Junuzovic and Vidal as LCM and RCM. You can always decide to go with Calhangolu, you don't have to do what I say, but I am not sure on his performances in that position. I am afraid it will be disappointing. Rest of the team still leaves room for improvement but in every position you have a player that should fit the formation.

On the other squad (La Liga):
    The defence and attack is really good and Krychowiak is an amazing player in this game and would definitely suit the CCM position. Unfortunately Liga BBVA does not have many players that suit the LCM or RCM position. I would definitely pick Modric as one of the CMs in this formation. Even though he has H/M workrates, he is one of the very few players that actually can attack and defend. Enzo Perez is the most allround player besides Modric, or IF Mendujanin (even though he is silver). I can imagine you would like to stay with either Kroos or Rakitic besides Modric and if I had to choose one of those two I would go with Rakitic. Though I must say I would never include him in a team that I would build for someone in here. La Liga just does not have players that suit the formation besides Modric, Perez and IF Mendujanin.
  • FredDarrell
    940 posts Professional

Thanks a lot!

@FredDarrell

On the first squad (Bundesliga):
    Would not use Calhanoglu and Xhaka. Rest of the squad looks decent. Xhaka is very allround but does not have the pace needed to get up and down the pitch over and over again. So he does not suit being a box-to-box midfielder. Calhanoglu is a great player, agree with you, but not in this formation unfortunately. Does not suit as CM and not as striker unfortunately. I would prefer Kruse over him at ST. I would play Junuzovic and Vidal as LCM and RCM. You can always decide to go with Calhangolu, you don't have to do what I say, but I am not sure on his performances in that position. I am afraid it will be disappointing. Rest of the team still leaves room for improvement but in every position you have a player that should fit the formation.

On the other squad (La Liga):
    The defence and attack is really good and Krychowiak is an amazing player in this game and would definitely suit the CCM position. Unfortunately Liga BBVA does not have many players that suit the LCM or RCM position. I would definitely pick Modric as one of the CMs in this formation. Even though he has H/M workrates, he is one of the very few players that actually can attack and defend. Enzo Perez is the most allround player besides Modric, or IF Mendujanin (even though he is silver). I can imagine you would like to stay with either Kroos or Rakitic besides Modric and if I had to choose one of those two I would go with Rakitic. Though I must say I would never include him in a team that I would build for someone in here. La Liga just does not have players that suit the formation besides Modric, Perez and IF Mendujanin.

Thanks a lot mate, i will follow your suggestions when building my squads :]
  • nextqprmanager
    3354 posts National Call-Up
    If I may comment on Wanton`s vid
    I have all these players except Morata & I feel the players do affect how you play. A midfield of Lulic, Parolo & Melo is hampered by agility & pace.
    I do find that a Midfield of Guarin, Pereya & say Lulic is better.
    But I also agree about using the FB`s more.
    ps. Candreva is better than Berardi at passing & shooting.
  • Loke1
    Hi mate.

Peace out.

@Loke1 Thanks a lot. Have to say it was hard dealing with this question, so don't blame me if the answer is satisfying. Just keep asking more questions if I have not dealt with something you wanted me to discuss or inform you about.

It was really hard with you having these players and try to make it Serie A and Brazil and get it on full chem. Is that really the team you are playing with or is it just a team made up of players you have at the moment?

My first effort to get you a team started with Hulk, knowing that Witsel would link with Nainggolan. I got to the following:

17c672df7c54169a60b9d481194d0f8e.png

Looking back at that time I believe I let myself and therefore you down as it includes a very few Brazilian players, though there is lots of Serie A involved. Then I decided to try it again with Hulk as striker. It got me a better Brazilian / Serie A mixed squad:

f166ae16c8af5c18859cdd628ed4d5f6.png

Not many things you can improve in here. Don't know if it fits the budget from 5-700k, but it definitely seems like a very nice team that fits your requirements (Brazil/Serie A). German league players are absolutely great, for example Reus, Robben, Lewandowski, Vidal, Alaba, Boateng and I can continue for some time and they are easy to link and therefore very popular to play with. I hope that that last squad showed you that a very nice team can be built with Brazil/Serie A mixed players as well. Marchisio, Chiellini and Lichtsteiner are one of the best options in their position for this formation and Neymar, Hulk, Thiago Silva are pure class. Marcelo is also one of the best LBs.

It costs me a lot of time, definitely, but as long as it is useful for others and they enjoy the game better because of it, it is all worth it. The time I invest in it is only a small bit of the time they enjoy it.

@xciljw
    Thank you. Really liked them, especially the second team. Will try to finance that one in the coming weeks. Now I will learn from the gameplay on page one, and your comments to @Wanton

Right now I have the german core with

IF L. Anderson, Lewandowski, Candreva

Marchisio, Khedira, Panic (I like his free kicks, but do not get him involved in attack)

Sandro, Sokratis, Barzagli, Peres

Neuer

I also love IF Teixeira, for his wonderful stats, but struggle to find a team around him. Maybe I have to bid him fare well...

• Just want to share my current squads. Maybe somone will get some new inspiration for a new team.

35bab28d2c6b341b47f5dcca2aee246e.png

ca97246180e274aeeacc9c7e33e107ac.png
    Comments?
  • xciljw
    I have all these players except Morata & I feel the players do affect how you play. A midfield of Lulic, Parolo & Melo is hampered by agility & pace.

@nextqprmanager Of course you can comment on others. It is very good if people get the discussion going about this formation or in this case the gameplay @Wanton provided. Don't agree with you that a midfield of Lulic, Parolo and Melo is hampered by pace, maybe a little by agility. Pace is fine with that midfield, besides there is enough height and the right workrates in midfield. Problem is that he was on a limited budget. So that's why he is not using players like Candreva or Pereyra for instance. Pereyra is definitely a great upgrade and Candreva the best RF in the Serie A. Thanks for commenting though! I appreciate that. :)
  • xciljw
    @xciljw
    Thank you. Really liked them, especially the second team. Will try to finance that one in the coming weeks. Now I will learn from the gameplay on page one, and your comments to @Wanton

Marchisio, Khedira, Panic (I like his free kicks, but do not get him involved in attack)
    Neuer

I also love IF Teixeira, for his wonderful stats, but struggle to find a team around him. Maybe I have to bid him fare well...

@Loke1 You can go with IF Teixeira as left CM over Fernandinho in the second team if you would like to keep him. :)
  • xciljw
    psvunited wrote: »
    Just want to share my current squads. Maybe somone will get some new inspiration for a new team.

35bab28d2c6b341b47f5dcca2aee246e.png

ca97246180e274aeeacc9c7e33e107ac.png
    Comments?

@psvunited First of all, thanks for sharing your teams! I like them, though not everyone is on full chem (but that's just a matter of personal preferences as some people are fine with a couple of players on lower chem). I notice you use the formation a little different then I decribe in the guide. I use the CCM as more defensive player in the midfield, while you are using Guarin and Calhanoglu, two players that are more attacking players, though Guarin can play LCM/RCM and if you ask me Calhanoglu does not fit in this formation. Needs to play as CAM or CF. Rest looks decent, good to see there is still room for improvement so there is a reason to keep playing. :)
  • Wanton
    77 posts Park Captain
    @xciljw

Neuer

@Loke1 You can go with IF Teixeira as left CM over Fernandinho in the second team if you would like to keep him. :)

@nextqprmanager Of course you can comment on others. It is very good if people get the discussion going about this formation or in this case the gameplay @Wanton provided. Don't agree with you that a midfield of Lulic, Parolo and Melo is hampered by pace, maybe a little by agility. Pace is fine with that midfield, besides there is enough height and the right workrates in midfield. Problem is that he was on a limited budget. So that's why he is not using players like Candreva or Pereyra for instance. Pereyra is definitely a great upgrade and Candreva the best RF in the Serie A. Thanks for commenting though! I appreciate that. :)

Thx guys yes i want to show my video and my errors because someone else play on the same "niveau" like me and make the same errors like me. So i hope it helps other people too @xciljw i have 27k on the bank available witch improvements should i make? Candreva and perreyra? Berrardi plays good for me so i dont feel of getting an improvement there
  • FrankieXXL
    54 posts Park Captain
    L6kvKPh.jpg

This is my squad guys. I can honestly say the best one i ever used.

1. The middle cm needs to be a good passer and a longshot specialist. Defending is not a priority for me because i have vidal and pogba.
    2. In this formation box to box cm's are very important, because you will get hit on the counter. High pressure and use offside trap manualy!
    3. With neymar, suarez and messi its to much for the opponent to handle, your mids gets a lot of space to shoot.
    4. Defence well what can i say maybe some legends are better but also much more expensive

can highly recommend this formation :)
  • Loke1
    @xciljw

Neuer

@xciljw Good tips. Will test him out now. :-)
  • nextqprmanager
    Frankie XXL, I`m not being funny but those players would play great in any formation !
  • FrankieXXL
    54 posts Park Captain
    edited November 2015
    Frankie XXL, I`m not being funny but those players would play great in any formation !

I think youre absolutly right! In this formation the strenght of each of these players is very noticable. The wingers are very close to the goal and not drifting on the wings. In a 4231 and even in 433 it takes to much time for them to become dangerous in my opinion. Almost evry finesse shot from cutting inside is a goal. Suarez is a beast. So much better for me then ibra or aguero. I played also with bergkamp, mvb, crespo, and suarez is cheaper then all of those.

I came to the conclusion that if i had 3 very good cdms i would still be hit on the counter, so instead of a defensive orientated ccm i choose an attacking one, Rakitic passing is very nice.

And like xciljw said when your fulbacks going forward you have another attacking option creating space on the wings. Youre opponent cannot defend the fulback, neymar or messi and a cm leaving huge gaps. Quick passing and an accurate throughball is a chance on goal.
  • xciljw
    Thx guys yes i want to show my video and my errors because someone else play on the same "niveau" like me and make the same errors like me. So i hope it helps other people too @xciljw i have 27k on the bank available witch improvements should i make? Candreva and perreyra? Berrardi plays good for me so i dont feel of getting an improvement there

@Wanton

Niveau = level :wink: You are lucky we speak the same language.

You can go with Felipe Anderson as LF over Perisic, get better CBs like Manolas and Bonucci, get Guarin and Pereyra over Parolo and Lulic. Eventually if you continue saving Alex Sandro can be a nice upgrade over Ghoulam and at a later stage replace Berrardi by Candreva (as you are currently satisfied with him). Just see who you think you want to improve first, but these are not too expensive options for now and you can definitely do a couple of them changes with the 27k you have and the rest later. Just depends what players you are happy with and what players you don't like to use.
  • xciljw
    FrankieXXL wrote: »
    L6kvKPh.jpg

This is my squad guys. I can honestly say the best one i ever used.

1. The middle cm needs to be a good passer and a longshot specialist. Defending is not a priority for me because i have vidal and pogba.
    2. In this formation box to box cm's are very important, because you will get hit on the counter. High pressure and use offside trap manualy!
    3. With neymar, suarez and messi its to much for the opponent to handle, your mids gets a lot of space to shoot.
    4. Defence well what can i say maybe some legends are better but also much more expensive

can highly recommend this formation :)

@FrankieXXL It looks a lot like the team I made earlier when someone asked me to build the best 4321 team possible. Only differences are that I played Busquest as CCM (better defending to balance the midfield in order to control the game) and I suggested Neuer in goal.

Would like to discuss two of the points you mentioned:
    1. Little different then described in the guide, but as long as you get the formation working with that team it is great. In that case Rakitic is a better option then Busquest, but you obviously get why I would prefer Busquets after reading the guide. It is a matter of how you want to use the formation.
    2. Agree that the box-to-box players are so important at LCM and RCM. I don't really use high pressure or the offside trap though. But it is just easier going up and down the pitch to support the defense and attack.
  • libertao
    978 posts Professional
    Current squad (popular back 5 I see!):

P1jHU9K.png

Thinking about getting Rui Costa for CCM, pushing Effenberg over to LCM, just because Rui has got such good reviews. I'm worried about losing defensive solidity through the middle -- any advice?
  • xciljw
    edited November 2015
    libertao wrote: »
    Current squad (popular back 5 I see!):

P1jHU9K.png

Thinking about getting Rui Costa for CCM, pushing Effenberg over to LCM, just because Rui has got such good reviews. I'm worried about losing defensive solidity through the middle -- any advice?

@libertao Very lovely team and how tempted it may be to get Rui Costa in your team, I would keep your team as it is right now. Rui Costa just does not have the right workrates to play in this position (not as LCM either with Effenberg staying CCM, which is better if you ask me in case you still want to go there) and lacks defending to play in this formation. And it definitely is a popular back 5, possibly the best possible NIF back 5 if you ask me.
  • Wanton
    77 posts Park Captain

@Wanton

Niveau = level :wink: You are lucky we speak the same language.

You can go with Felipe Anderson as LF over Perisic, get better CBs like Manolas and Bonucci, get Guarin and Pereyra over Parolo and Lulic. Eventually if you continue saving Alex Sandro can be a nice upgrade over Ghoulam and at a later stage replace Berrardi by Candreva (as you are currently satisfied with him). Just see who you think you want to improve first, but these are not too expensive options for now and you can definitely do a couple of them changes with the 27k you have and the rest later. Just depends what players you are happy with and what players you don't like to use.

I speak german but it's quite the same ;) as always thx for the help
  • Cphee1987
    6181 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2015
    Excellent guide. Is a formation I used a lot at the beginning with plenty of success but for some reason changed as I went up the divisions. Back using it and became more effective with it from taking some tips from you. Have got bored using a single league squad so looking to make the strongest possible hybrid for this formation with a budget of 1.6m on Xbox one. I always end with same ideas so have you any suggestions of a squad that you'd recommend?

Cheers
  • nextqprmanager
    xciljw, just a follow up on Wanton`s team - I have Bonucci who is good - I wondered who is his best partner? not sure I`ll ever afford Chielini
    thx in adv
    ps. this formation is good for Candreva since he is not the speedster winger you need in say 433[4] or 41212.
  • xciljw
    Cphee1987 wrote: »
    Excellent guide. Is a formation I used a lot at the beginning with plenty of success but for some reason changed as I went up the divisions. Back using it and became more effective with it from taking some tips from you. Have got bored using a single league squad so looking to make the strongest possible hybrid for this formation with a budget of 1.6m on Xbox one. I always end with same ideas so have you any suggestions of a squad that you'd recommend?

Cheers

@Cphee1987 Thank you. Good to hear it became more effective after reading the guide. The strongest possible hybrid (so at least 3 nations and 3 leagues) will possibly be this:

b037f1b4378350b94e0c386013492ab1.png

Actually wanted to go Neuer, Boateng, Alaba and Vidal on the left but that would not have made it an official hybrid. Besides, you would not be able to get that with 1.6m. Hope you like this. It is just under 1.6m right now.