Guide to the Christmas Tree Formation: 4-3-2-1

Comments

• xciljw
    5024 posts Big Money Move
    In the opening post I have included a chapter between Teams and Feedback called Gameplay. Here you will be able to find all games I recorded in this formation. There is one game right now for those that are interested in gameplay!

@****_Benz @Wanton The two of you asked me for some gameplay. There is one game in the opening post now, so check it out if you want. :wink:

• jenksiee123
    21802 posts Club Captain
    xciljw wrote: »
    47f57100ff1132aba37657e944e4f037.png

Using this atm and it's excellent. Used to hate this formation on 15 due to its narrowness but haven't had any issues with that so far.

@jenksiee123 Lovely mixed silver/gold team you have there. Included in the first post under Community Teams, if you are fine with that, as I think it is very creative.

Yeah no worries. Relatively cheap as well if you swap IF Bellerin to his NIF.
  • BenzP7
    8294 posts League Winner
    In the opening post I have included a chapter between Teams and Feedback called Gameplay. Here you will be able to find all games I recorded in this formation. There is one game right now for those that are interested in gameplay!

@****_Benz @Wanton The two of you asked me for some gameplay. There is one game in the opening post now, so check it out if you want. :wink:

Thanks alot! I will check it out. I got messi so i wanna utilize him at rf and ill see what i can do with 4321 :)
  • xCOLLISx
    520 posts An Exciting Prospect
    xCOLLISx wrote: »
    Brilliant guide - tempted me to give it a go :) Like you and others have said, not really enjoyed this formation past few years, I had a small amount of success last year in the lower divisions but that was short-lived.

Would you be able to make me a team please? 45-50k budget on PS4 :) Serie A hybrid with something if possible, but it doesn't really matter if there's nothing good.

@xCOLLISx Thanks mate! Don't know about PS4 prices, but have been using Xbox One prices in this case to see whether it is in the budget. Have two options for you. First option is a little cheaper. I hope you like it. They should play quite well.

Serie A
    9342a6d9a0cf1b8f03c8267fcdbe115c.png

Serie A + Brazil
    799b1a97d9d5fac21bad51c871e49ebe.png

Thanks a bunch mate, will probably give the 2nd one a go, once I've got a couple more coins (had less than I thought :blush: )

I see you've added some video gameplay too - I'll give this a watch before diving straight in, hopefully give me a better idea about how to go about playing with this formation.

KUTGW.
  • Wanton
    77 posts Park Captain
    Thx for the video think it worked first game 3:0 up and rage quit haha :)
  • DSD27
    5712 posts Big Money Move
    where is the video?
  • Khangaskhan17
    3950 posts National Call-Up
    Some quality gameplay; it was fun to watch! I really like how the fullbacks are utilized to provide width in this formation. Thanks for uploading!
  • Rafael89
    561 posts An Exciting Prospect
    @xciljw what do you think about the midfield workrates h/h -m/h - h/h? Played the first matches as u told with a h/m but was struggling, however with the new midfield I'm on a 13 match winstreak. It plays really well both defensively and attacking!
  • xciljw
    DSD27 wrote: »
    where is the video?

@DSD27 It is in the first post. I made a specific chapter (which is chapter 10) about gameplay and there I will be uploading all games I recorded in this formation.
  • MaestroPirlo21
    1488 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hey bud,

great guide. Very comprehensive. Never got on with this formation too well in the past for some reason, but I thought I would give it a go. In some ways it is the best of both worlds for me. I like the width of the forwards and I was surprised that they stayed as wide as they did. I think they are wider during build up- around midfield but move a little more central further up the pitch. I need that width to keep opponents honest, especially with the midfield somewhat clogged this year. There are also so many good CM's this year, especially with h/h work rates which helps. I also like to use a CDM in the middle with instructions to stay back...Like that helps though!

I actually like the h/h strikers. They are both good in the air, have great positioning and good finishing and have some strength about them.

I'm not winning every game by any means, but I feel like I always have a chance with this formation.

Anyways, here are my 2 squads at the moment, which I rotate each game. I have 25k on xb1. Who would be the next player purchase(s) for you?

pitch-693950.jpg

pitch-694051.jpg

I am going to try to stick with this formation for a while, so as I go along I will improve where I can. I am not sure about Gervinho after a run of games, so I was first thinking about buying Felipe Anderson. After that, I'm not quite sure. Any suggestions?
  • xciljw
    Wanton wrote: »

@Wanton Most important is not to judge on one game. Hope it still plays well after 10 games, or maybe even 100. Key to mastering a formation is consistency, even though it depends a lot on your opponent.
  • Ravz9
    25767 posts Player of the Year
    edited November 2015
    your passing game is excellent, always seem to find space and carve the opponent open
    are you ps4? if so id love to have a game and if possible you teach me how to improve my game, psn is ravz99 if you are ps4 :)

EDIT: just realised youre xb1, shame :(
  • xciljw
    Some quality gameplay; it was fun to watch! I really like how the fullbacks are utilized to provide width in this formation. Thanks for uploading!

@Khangaskhan17 Thanks! Pushed the full backs quite far up the pitch during that game. Can be dangerous, but it is not like I got punished for doing it that game. But it shows really good how the narrowness of the formation suits the full backs.
  • Wanton
    77 posts Park Captain

@Wanton Most important is not to judge on one game. Hope it still plays well after 10 games, or maybe even 100. Key to mastering a formation is consistency, even though it depends a lot on your opponent.

Yea s**t lost 4 in a row but one the last game for today :) yea have bit trouble creating chances... The strikers still feel a bit isolated :/
  • xciljw
    Rafael89 wrote: »
    @xciljw what do you think about the midfield workrates h/h -m/h - h/h? Played the first matches as u told with a h/m but was struggling, however with the new midfield I'm on a 13 match winstreak. It plays really well both defensively and attacking!

@Rafael89 Described it as H/H - M/H - H/H being best in this formation, as the left and right midfielder are box-to-box players and the middle one the more defensive player. In my own team, as it says in chapter 9 (Teams) in the guide, you see my midfield has the same workrates as I use Vidal - Luiz Gustavo - Marchisio. Good to see you are on this winstreak!
  • l OwNz l
    539 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Awesome! Your a dutchy as well :) nice vid @xciljw
  • xciljw
    Hey bud,

great guide. Very comprehensive. Never got on with this formation too well in the past for some reason, but I thought I would give it a go. In some ways it is the best of both worlds for me. I like the width of the forwards and I was surprised that they stayed as wide as they did. I think they are wider during build up- around midfield but move a little more central further up the pitch. I need that width to keep opponents honest, especially with the midfield somewhat clogged this year. There are also so many good CM's this year, especially with h/h work rates which helps. I also like to use a CDM in the middle with instructions to stay back...Like that helps though!

I actually like the h/h strikers. They are both good in the air, have great positioning and good finishing and have some strength about them.

I'm not winning every game by any means, but I feel like I always have a chance with this formation.

Anyways, here are my 2 squads at the moment, which I rotate each game. I have 25k on xb1. Who would be the next player purchase(s) for you?

pitch-693950.jpg

pitch-694051.jpg

I am going to try to stick with this formation for a while, so as I go along I will improve where I can. I am not sure about Gervinho after a run of games, so I was first thinking about buying Felipe Anderson. After that, I'm not quite sure. Any suggestions?

@MaestroPirlo21 Thank you! Good to hear you actually like the formation and agree on aspects of the guide. Have not tried a H/H striker yet in this formation, so can't really judge that. I know @Carswell has been using Muller up front as well in this formation and he was really positive about him, so you are not the only one thinking about it that way.

I would suggest the following changes to your teams with the 25k you have:
    Felipe Anderson > Gervinho (because you suggested it)
    Junuzovic > Bender
    Pereyra > Strootman
    Alex Sandro > Radu

There is still more room for improvement, but these are the ones I would do with the 25k.
  • Carswell
    8271 posts League Winner
    Muller is amazing in this formation. Absolutely amazing I'll post his record later. The fact that it's all in seasons (so basically all D1) says it all.
  • MaestroPirlo21
    1488 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hey bud,

pitch-693950.jpg

pitch-694051.jpg

@MaestroPirlo21 Thank you! Good to hear you actually like the formation and agree on aspects of the guide. Have not tried a H/H striker yet in this formation, so can't really judge that. I know @Carswell has been using Muller up front as well in this formation and he was really positive about him, so you are not the only one thinking about it that way.

I would suggest the following changes to your teams with the 25k you have:
    Felipe Anderson > Gervinho (because you suggested it)
    Junuzovic > Bender
    Pereyra > Strootman
    Alex Sandro > Radu

There is still more room for improvement, but these are the ones I would do with the 25k.

Interesting. Never would have considered Junuzovic. A little more pace, and little more creativity and...wow those free kicks! Can't imagine he would be much more than discard so I will certainly give him a run of games. Would you say Lahm is a long term replacement here?

Pereya for Strootman is also something I was considering. I guess Radja would be a suitable replacement for Guarin at some point as well.

I chose Radu for the work rates, but I think you see that I am fielding a pretty defensive line up. I am keeping my opponent at bay, but I suppose I could use a bit more creativity and width from the full backs. I just don't like getting caught in an outnumbered situation coming back against a counter attack. On the other hand, a more offensive fullback could free the forwards up a bit more and besides, with Mandzukic in the middle I am not afraid to put some crosses into the box.

Oh...and yes, Muller is great! Reminds me of his informs the last few years being moved in from the wing. Having the h/h strikers means that they drop a bit deeper which helps give another outlet.

I look forward to really getting the ins and outs of this formation!

Learned a lot from your gameplay footage too!

Cheers.
  • xciljw
    Ravz9 wrote: »
    your passing game is excellent, always seem to find space and carve the opponent open
    are you ps4? if so id love to have a game and if possible you teach me how to improve my game, psn is ravz99 if you are ps4 :)

EDIT: just realised youre xb1, shame :(

@Ravz9 Thank you very much. I am Xbox One as you found out. Have been doing those type of games (giving people advice afterwards) last year when I wrote the false 9 guide and it actually helped. So was a great suggestion. Just unfortunate we are on different consoles. Would have loved to help you out. If you ever manage to get some gameplay of yourself using it, you can always upload it and post it in here so I can give you some feedback.
  • xciljw

Yea s**t lost 4 in a row but one the last game for today :) yea have bit trouble creating chances... The strikers still feel a bit isolated :/

Ah unlucky about those 4. Have you checked instructions for the formation? My instructions were not set on default for some players when I first checked. And quite weird the striker feels isolated while there should be 2 players close around him and the left and right midfielder going forward. Obviously can't really help you with this as I have not seen you play, but hopefully everything will be fine soon when you get used to the formation.
  • MaestroPirlo21
    1488 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2015
    @xciljw

Would you like to add me as I am on xb1? Perhaps we could play sometime and you could give me some advice. I sometimes get into a static kind of play style and suggestions for improvement is always welcome. I enjoy my games against fellow formers even if I lose, they are usually good matches.

If you would like, my gamer tag is the same as my forum name.

MaestroPirlo21

After playing a good chunk of a season today (while off work sick...lol), I am starting to get comfortable with this formation. Thanks for your guide and advice, up until today I was going through several formations and not settling in with any of them. I think this will stick for a bit.
  • xciljw
    l OwNz l wrote: »
    Awesome! Your a dutchy as well :) nice vid @xciljw

@l OwNz l Thanks a lot mate! I appreciate this.
  • Samy
    52 posts Park Captain
    Hey mate!
    First thanks for the guide...very nice and well made.
    An a question: what will be your best possible team for this formation(working one, no matter the league of hybrid)?
    Thanks
  • flicKz
    14 posts Ball Boy
    edited November 2015
    pitch-696784.jpg

What you think about this team? 50k for Improvements on PS4?

• MisterRux
    921 posts Professional
    edited November 2015
    nvm
    Post edited by MisterRux on
  • Ravz9
    25767 posts Player of the Year
    Wrong formation mate
  • FubarRipper
    569 posts An Exciting Prospect
    great guide, bookmarking it. Currently I am using 4231, but will switch to this formation when I get Reus.
  • 000BMM
    101 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited November 2015
    p0IrXJu.png

Thoughts and changes? Is Bellarabi a good RF choice?
    80K Budget
    Post edited by 000BMM on
  • xciljw
    Interesting. Never would have considered Junuzovic. A little more pace, and little more creativity and...wow those free kicks! Can't imagine he would be much more than discard so I will certainly give him a run of games. Would you say Lahm is a long term replacement here?

Pereya for Strootman is also something I was considering. I guess Radja would be a suitable replacement for Guarin at some point as well.

I chose Radu for the work rates, but I think you see that I am fielding a pretty defensive line up. I am keeping my opponent at bay, but I suppose I could use a bit more creativity and width from the full backs. I just don't like getting caught in an outnumbered situation coming back against a counter attack. On the other hand, a more offensive fullback could free the forwards up a bit more and besides, with Mandzukic in the middle I am not afraid to put some crosses into the box.

Oh...and yes, Muller is great! Reminds me of his informs the last few years being moved in from the wing. Having the h/h strikers means that they drop a bit deeper which helps give another outlet.

I look forward to really getting the ins and outs of this formation!

Learned a lot from your gameplay footage too!

Cheers.

@MaestroPirlo21 Junuzovic is just over discard and therefore a great addition to the team. Quality player, much better then Bender in LCM, for that amount of coins is just a bargain. Lahm can be seen as a future replacement for the CCM position, where you are playing Gustavo now. Problem is that you might start lacking some height in midfield when using Lahm, so that is why I am not 100% telling you he will be a future replacement. Can't use 2 relatively small players (Junu & Lahm) and 1 average height player (Vidal).

Nainggolan would be great to replace Guarin with at a later point. For now you just don't have the coins and it is better to focus on other positions first as Guarin is a very decent player.

Yeah I got you had Radu for that, but he lacks going forward. If you have seen the gameplay video I made you will notice that the LB/RB have the space to overlap and therefore a little more pace and better dribbling and passing are very useful, just as Alex Sandro's H/M workrates. Alex Sandro is very similar to Alaba, I can tell, except being not as good as Alaba. Great player for that amount of coins. You won't often get outnumbered when you don't rush forward too far with your full backs. I explained in the guide as well I often used them to push forward just a bit and then get the ball to the midfielder.
    @xciljw

Would you like to add me as I am on xb1? Perhaps we could play sometime and you could give me some advice. I sometimes get into a static kind of play style and suggestions for improvement is always welcome. I enjoy my games against fellow formers even if I lose, they are usually good matches.

If you would like, my gamer tag is the same as my forum name.

MaestroPirlo21

After playing a good chunk of a season today (while off work sick...lol), I am starting to get comfortable with this formation. Thanks for your guide and advice, up until today I was going through several formations and not settling in with any of them. I think this will stick for a bit.

Sure mate. My GT is XcilPersion. I always love playing people from here and besides I like to help people out. Even after random seasons games I sometimes get messages people telling me to give them feedback on their play when I won and I am definitely willing to help them out.

Sounds really good. Glad you enjoy the formation!