How would someone new to the game even compete?

FC Intl
4394 posts National Call-Up
Or why would they continue? Sincere question.

I've been playing the game for over 10 years and I'm struggling. I can't imagine how someone who just started playing is going to even have chance or get an ounce of enjoyment out if it. The matchmaking is just terrible.

Comments

• iD33J91
    6176 posts Big Money Move
    EA don't want you to "compete". You pretty much have to (regardless) of what people say have to buy some FIFA points at the beginning of the game.... Otherwise you're playing for basically nothing by the time you buy squad fitness cards/healing/contracts etc
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    iD33J91 wrote: »
    EA don't want you to "compete". You pretty much have to (regardless) of what people say have to buy some FIFA points at the beginning of the game.... Otherwise you're playing for basically nothing by the time you buy squad fitness cards/healing/contracts etc

You only need to buy points if you're lazy to trade or don't want to play offline. No reason you can't play 40-ish games with your started squad offline on a low level until you gather coins. You only need 10k for two decent non rare squads to get you started.

I think someone who never played FIFA may have an easier time, he's not used to how passing and pace used to be, so there's less adapting to do.
  • BerserkCo
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    But they CAN compete.played a game today had 6 good shots on goal in the first 10 mins.uhoh I thought sure enough guy thrashes the ball away in a panic only for it to find a completlt unmarked remy...
  • RadioShaq
    16688 posts Moderator
    Its changed a lot this year. Probably being used to all the previous games bad habits are making it harder for people who are not new. I still try to pace around all 10 guys like past years.
  • Khangaskhan17
    4002 posts National Call-Up
    I honestly don't know man but I try to not measure my enjoyment of the game by wins and losses.
  • FC Intl
    I honestly don't know man but I try to not measure my enjoyment of the game by wins and losses.

Easy to say, but more difficult in practice. I do try to remember this though.
  • FC Intl
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    I think someone who never played FIFA may have an easier time, he's not used to how passing and pace used to be, so there's less adapting to do.

You may be right on that, someone with no muscle memory or habits might get used to it quicker than those who have played for years.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    I imagine they would make a team of the paciest players, look up some YouTube 'guides' on how to win with the most minimal amount of effort, and wing it.
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    Orikoru wrote: »
    I imagine they would make a team of the paciest players, look up some YouTube 'guides' on how to win with the most minimal amount of effort, and wing it.

Orikoru's guide to FIFA right there.
  • QNag
    265 posts Sunday League Hero

Well said bro. I remember my son and I trying to win our first online match. We probably played 20+ games before we succeeded, but we came close a few times and had a blast.

Beginners could play skill games and/or offline matches (on easy setting) until they ramp up.
  • musa18
    336 posts Sunday League Hero
    iD33J91 wrote: »

Lol, why would you buy squad fitness or healing?

And contracts with 18 games for gold players cost 150 coins. Contracts are only for "expensive" players. If your player goes for minimum you should just get a new one of the same player.
  • ZuParadox
    221 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2015
    FC Intl wrote: »

You may be right on that, someone with no muscle memory or habits might get used to it quicker than those who have played for years.

Agree with that

I'm still pressing X[ps4] when trying to get it out of defence, only for it to fall straight to their striker. "USE O - USE O"
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    ZuParadox wrote: »
    FC Intl wrote: »

Agree with that

I'm still pressing X[ps4] when trying to get it out of defence, only for it to fall straight to their striker. "USE O - USE O"

Yeah - it took me like a month to remember to stop using the double-tap shoot finish, since it does't work on this game. And the same amount of time to stop trying to do fancy passes with R1. Well, to stop doing fancy passes full stop since they don't work anymore either.
  • Ch1cha
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    Tbh, just because you play for a long time doesn't have to mean you have to be good. The majority of the real life footballers will never be as good as the ones playing in the BPL (example) eventhough they played football since their childhood aswell.

There are limitations to what you can achieve eventhough it's just a game. It's not as simple as just pressing the buttons, there is alot going on inside your head while you play Fifa and that's where the biggest difference is made; not formations, players, workrates, tactics etc.

So a new player could easily be better then someone who has played for a long time
  • Ker_Mit
    5935 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2015
    Ch1cha wrote: »
    Tbh, just because you play for a long time doesn't have to mean you have to be good. The majority of the real life footballers will never be as good as the ones playing in the BPL (example) eventhough they played football since their childhood aswell.

There are limitations to what you can achieve eventhough it's just a game. It's not as simple as just pressing the buttons, there is alot going on inside your head while you play Fifa and that's where the biggest difference is made; not formations, players, workrates, tactics etc.

So a new player could easily be better then someone who has played for a long time

Words of wisdom right here!
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero

Yes and no.

What is true in what you're saying is that two people who put in the same amount of time are not necessarily equal.

What is wrong with what you're saying is that someone who's put in 1000's hours is going to be beaten by someone who's just picked up a controller. Never going to happen. Sure they could catch and surpass that person with a lot less practice but not straight away.
  • Ch1cha
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    I have never said the last thing though. What I meant is that someone can beat an experienced player over time, but by saying that I don't mean someone that will play the game for the first time.
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    I have never said the last thing though. What I meant is that someone can beat an experienced player over time, but by saying that I don't mean someone that will play the game for the first time.

Sorry mate, but you surmised with this statement:

I took "new player" to mean someone who hasn't played before, but I can see what you mean now you've clarified.
  • piper1203
    443 posts Sunday League Hero
    play me. Ive played fifa for forever and still cant compete. That would be why I stick to offline.
  • PezMan123
    859 posts An Exciting Prospect
    always best to spend £30 on launch to get you started, thats all you need tho, from them packs, and all your coin boosts and playing divisions you can have a top team by now
  • Joeyalltheseven
    2388 posts Fans' Favourite
    UT is the best at the start, building up from your starter squad is fun and you find hidden gems while you upgrade
  • BenzP7
    8316 posts League Winner
    PezMan123 wrote: »
    always best to spend £30 on launch to get you started, thats all you need tho, from them packs, and all your coin boosts and playing divisions you can have a top team by now

What do you mean buy top team though? I did that but I only have decent team and I actually spent around $300 lol.
  • Daddy
    5748 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2015
    Fifa is made in a way that most of the goals scored are
    1)sprint-shoot
    2)cross-header
    3)quick one two, lb+y/througball
    None of these require complex lessons and can be learnt quickly for newbies.
    Whereas an experienced player gains no joy out of repeatedly scoring the same monotonous goals and will try flashy things with low goal scoring percentage.
    Tl Dr; wins will keep new players going no matter the match stats, whereas experienced players want to win but with actual control over the game and that is the sole reason that something is op every year be it pace/near posts/ headers etc.
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    Daddy wrote: »
    Fifa is made in a way that most of the goals scored are
    1)sprint-shoot
    2)cross-header
    3)quick one two, lb+y/througball
    None of these require complex lessons and can be learnt quickly for newbies.
    Whereas an experienced player gains no joy out of repeatedly scoring the same monotonous goals and will try flashy things with low goal scoring percentage.
    Tl Dr; wins will keep new players going no matter the match stats, whereas experienced players want to win but with actual control over the game and that is the sole reason that something is op every year be it pace/near posts/ headers etc.

I like the way your tl;dr is just as long as your initial point.
  • slickus
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite

This
    Once you get over your wins losses you will start to learn from n even enjoy some defeats :)
  • PTY BroZz
    2662 posts Fans' Favourite

I kinda feel special :#
  • slickus
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite
    piper1203 wrote: »
    play me. Ive played fifa for forever and still cant compete. That would be why I stick to offline.

Practice mate
    When they changed online controls to tactical only i missed a whole fifa online
    The next year i thought sod it ill learn
    Im not amazing but can deffo compete :)
    Still play a lot of offline just to bolster my online squad
  • Eisenhardt
    4178 posts National Call-Up

What do you mean buy top team though? I did that but I only have decent team and I actually spent around $300 lol.

Top team=competitive team IMO. You don't need any of the big names in this game to compete.
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    Eisenhardt wrote: »

Top team=competitive team IMO. You don't need any of the big names in this game to compete.

You can have a competitive team after day 1 the way the game is. You can't have a true top team unless you spend some $/£s or you are good at trading.
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    I started since fifa 13, played 14 but skipped 15. I have no problems playing 16.

If anything, new players would complain less than everyone whose played 10 years. Most of these veteran players complain so much at the beginning each year but still end up playing it through. It's like in fifa 13 everyone complained about OP pace abuse, Esswein 3-5-2 squads at the end of the year and how it was a horrible game then proceed to praise the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of it once they play fifa 14. People should complain less, and if you really aren't enjoying it, just take a break, or else learn the game mechanics.