How to stop conceding?

Ravz9
25767 posts Player of the Year
edited October 2015
So I have 3 issues

1. I concede at least 1 penalty a game, from aattackers running into me etc

2. I constantly find that my two cbs are too far part, and so whenever the opposition plays a ground through ball they're through on goal

3. My defenders (particularly cbs) are ALWAYS too far up the pitch, even with instructions.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop these things?

Help Appreciated :)

Comments

• Nicolai1848
    571 posts An Exciting Prospect
    1. Try to not control your defenders by yourself in the penalty box
    2. Maybe try 3 or 5 atb
    3. Take defenders with L/H or M/H workrate
  • Ravz9
    1. Try to not control your defenders by yourself in the penalty box
    2. Maybe try 3 or 5 atb
    3. Take defenders with L/H or M/H workrate

playing with bonucci and castan atm who both have M/H and it makes no difference for me, funnily enough the only defender to stay back for me is miranda and he has M/M
    i might try 5atb actually, and how do i let the ai control my players in the penalty box?
  • Ch1cha
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    1. Learn how to read your opponent and anticipate to his actions. Use LT to manouvre inside the box and you will get the ball without giving away a penalty.

2. Use 1 defender to pressure (teammate contain), controll the other defender yourself and again, position your defender as best as possible. So cover the gaps, cover through balls. Also have the vision to think ahead, it's kinda like chess.

3. Play counter attack as a quik tactic and they'll stay back. And if you use L1 alot while passing then avoid doing that with defenders

• Ravz9
    Ch1cha wrote: »
    1. Learn how to read your opponent and anticipate to his actions. Use LT to manouvre inside the box and you will get the ball without giving away a penalty.

2. Use 1 defender to pressure (teammate contain), controll the other defender yourself and again, position your defender as best as possible. So cover the gaps, cover through balls. Also have the vision to think ahead, it's kinda like chess.

3. Play counter attack as a quik tactic and they'll stay back. And if you use L1 alot while passing then avoid doing that with defenders

was just looking at jockey and teammate contain on youtube haha, never knew about them and they look really effective
    I'll put my tactic to counter attack and see if that helps. cheers
  • Dunk
    2012 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ravz9 wrote: »
    So I have 3 issues

2. I constantly find that my two cbs are too far part, and so whenever the opposition plays a ground through ball they're through on goal

3. My defenders (particularly cbs) are ALWAYS too far up the pitch, even with instructions.

1. I don't go near people in the box at all as dumb as it sounds, I manual jockey and attempt to block whatever they try.

2. I never control my CBs and if I do it is solely to track runs or make up ground on a runner, I never hold RB to drag them away from position or hold A for that matter.

3. I think that would be relative to the formation you use i'm not sure, in 4-3-1-2 they sit near the halfway line which I don't mind.
  • Ravz9
    Dunk wrote: »
    Ravz9 wrote: »
    So I have 3 issues

1. I don't go near people in the box at all as dumb as it sounds, I manual jockey and attempt to block whatever they try.

2. I never control my CBs and if I do it is solely to track runs or make up ground on a runner, I never hold RB to drag them away from position or hold A for that matter.

3. I think that would be relative to the formation you use i'm not sure, in 4-3-1-2 they sit near the halfway line which I don't mind.

this makes a lot of sense now actually, as i mostly use 4-3-1-2 and 4-3-3 (5)
    thanks
  • Mido
    545 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Jockey and team mate contain > X/A contain

Used to be a big user of contain last year. Have completely took it out my game after a poor start and I'm now flying. Stupid penalties have dried up and my defending is much better.