The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

DEFENDING is broken

fizzo
19 posts Last Pick at the Park
It's frustrating me as the defending has become too worst from last year's... I don't seem to have any sort of control on my defence!/Switching and containing don't work as accurately as before. My opponent keeps on dribbling into my defence and i keep standing & watching untill he scores!! Terrible, How worst controlling the defence has become!/
PLZ FIX THIS EA PLZZZ

Comments

• gia
    3166 posts National Call-Up
    how about defend by yourself an don't just hold contain & do nothing by yourself?
  • PumaDrifter
    22 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Hes got a point, i was very solid defending fifa 15....and never used contain or very rarely...but there is something in fifa 16 that broke up ddefence system.
  • agree. switching players by LB seems laggy. Also you sometimes have automatic switches even if it is turned off (and I do not mean those where a teammate touches the ball)
  • PumaDrifter
    edited October 2015
    Cant tell..but im playing exact same style while defending as in previous fifas....but its something that is making me Playing like im playing fifa for the first time. Im not having my defence 100% under control like i used to. :(

I have switches turned off aswell.
  • Wammo247
    184 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Defending is broken.... That's the reason everyone just sprints and zig zag all game!

Passing is awful so it's easier just to take it in turns sprinting at each other

Luckiest guy wins......
  • PumaDrifter
    Agreed. Zig zag + few dribble skills and ur good to go. One out of 3 times u score a goal, atleast.
  • Yiannis-T
    165 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Bring back LEGACY defending
  • I SiR MartY I
    5675 posts Big Money Move
    gia wrote: »
    how about defend by yourself an don't just hold contain & do nothing by yourself?

Pretty much this. You look at the posts, gifs and videos posted by people on here that have complained about the defending being broken and they make no attempt to defend manually or even think about how they're defending, they charge in blindly or just hold contain and hope for the best. I'm starting to think a lot of people who are complaining about the defending just can't defend so anyone can look like Messi when they dribble at them.

http://gfycat.com/GlitteringCriminalJunco

http://gfycat.com/UniformTemptingHedgehog

2 gifs and a video posted by people here saying dribbling is OP and defending is broken but all I can see is pretty awful defending.
  • silas1980
    707 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited October 2015
    I don't think it's broken. I just think dribbling is overpowered. When even the ai on wc struggle to tackle me whilst I weave around in the box like Messi with virtually any player then you know it's op'd.
  • Jonx88
    843 posts Semi-Pro
    I've definately noticed in Pro Clubs it's much harder to defend now, I play CDM and have always been good at reading the game and winning the ball but this year sometimes it just seems impossible to get the ball off of some of the higher rated pros, even though im still reading what they are going to do and tackling them it just seems to rebound back to themand is glued to their feet
  • THJ71
    747 posts Semi-Pro
    Agreed. Zig zag + few dribble skills and ur good to go. One out of 3 times u score a goal, atleast.

Was involved in a decent game last night in Draft. Lost 1-0, and this was due to my non responsive defence and him zig zagging around my static defence and scoring. I was seething

Also noticed the run through the whole defence and score from kick off is still present in this **** game
  • Yiannis-T
    edited October 2015

i have to answer to Gia and i have to say look your own business.i know how to defend with Tactical very well.The problem here is that Tactical isn't enough to stop these super players with turbo speeds and abilities,because the attackers are faster than the defenders in the game.So the defending system has to be very good to stop the attacks.That's what happens in real football.Defenders can stop forwards at the most of the times during a match.
  • criminal3655
    649 posts Sunday League Hero
    try spamming slide tackles - its so broken that its actually a viable tactic
  • sonofocelot
    183 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I play full manual and can defend very well, but it is broken this year. Game breaking zig zags and soft penalties ruin it.
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Need to play manual defence against better players, i've tried auto against good players and my cpu just tackles thin air
  • J79B
    23 posts Ball Boy
    edited October 2015
    Agree!the defends out of box is not a problem "well not always".
    It's inside the box...penalty time,tackle the zig zag 50% penalty..
  • I agree, its very difficult to defend when in the back of your mind your thinking that everything is a foul. I find myself defending a player 5 yards away in the box because I'm scared to commit a foul. As soon as i attempt to push him off the ball it's a foul unfortunately. This goes against me and against ppl i play.
  • I am quite sure this is a result of raising the gamespeed. Probably ea didn't realize that you just cannot raise the gamespeed without breaking something else. Defending before the patch was fine.
  • fizzo
    19 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I don't know why EA calls this kind of defending as " CONFIDENCE IN DEFENCE" my players are always all over the ground... even after applying my best tactics possible!
  • Korthan
    2407 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2015
    Even before the dribbling was boosted in 15, in previous FIFAs/FUTs some players used to dribble and twist and turn endlessly in and around your penalty box until they got the 'sweet spot' angle for a shot then score. It was very annoying. To often your defender's sluggish response times could not keep up or make the tackle. Perhaps lag had a role in this.
  • Alexd250
    60 posts Park Captain
    dustfresh wrote: »
    I am quite sure this is a result of raising the gamespeed. Probably ea didn't realize that you just cannot raise the gamespeed without breaking something else. Defending before the patch was fine.
    Yeah you nailed it defense seems broken to everyone because the inertia of the players has decreased they are almost weightless which make them move and zigzag so fast , that's why defending became almost useless after the second patch. They had one of the best football simulation gameplay at FIFA 16 demo and initial launch with the right amount of pace,speed and players weight and they just decided to ruin it and bring back FIFA 15 "ice hockey" gameplay with this second damned patch...!

• PumaDrifter
    It's worst than Fifa 15, because now the defending is an issue...I had no problems defending before, I was confident in defense...but now?? EA should have seen that thread and really do something about it. At least reduce the **** penaltys occasions.
  • GoonerSoldier
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    The problem with TD is that it creates a magic wall in which the defender hits when attempting to get close to the opposition player with the ball. In real life the best defenders stay CLOSE. With TD, there is always an invisible wall which creates a huge gap for the defender to contain. Ive been coming here since FIFA13 trying to tell yall that TD only works with MANUAL MODE.

We can thank all the kids who ruined the great Legacy Defending, last seen online in Fifa 11. And just to remind you all TD at that time was "MANUAL" defending. So how is it that EA turned defending to manual while not turning ANY of the other features of the game to manual ?? Its time to wake up and realize that the game must go full manual for TD to work or EA has to bring back Legacy Defending where there is no invisible wall between defender and attacker. Last time I checked, you couldnt use the Force on a football pitch
  • spritefun
    34 posts Last Pick at the Park
    This crap is ruining my single player experience, just split this fkin game up FUT F2P and Career mode £30-50 whatever, so I, and other single player only players, don't have to deal with the annoying crap that EA most likely do intentionally to make people buy fifa points.....
  • Yiannis-T
    The problem with TD is that it creates a magic wall in which the defender hits when attempting to get close to the opposition player with the ball. In real life the best defenders stay CLOSE. With TD, there is always an invisible wall which creates a huge gap for the defender to contain. Ive been coming here since FIFA13 trying to tell yall that TD only works with MANUAL MODE.

We can thank all the kids who ruined the great Legacy Defending, last seen online in Fifa 11. And just to remind you all TD at that time was "MANUAL" defending. So how is it that EA turned defending to manual while not turning ANY of the other features of the game to manual ?? Its time to wake up and realize that the game must go full manual for TD to work or EA has to bring back Legacy Defending where there is no invisible wall between defender and attacker. Last time I checked, you couldnt use the Force on a football pitch

i agree.Because of these difficulties EA should consider bringing back Legacy Defending.The game will be more realistic if we have security on the defence line.You can't play with Tactical.EA moved Legacy for what reason???Because amateur players couldn't score and so made it more easy for them with no defence at all.Bring back LEGACY defending system for online games so we could play normal again!
  • Hody
    924 posts Semi-Pro
    I lost around 12 Games (Champions Cup) in a row, everytime beaten with the ZIG ZAG or by a skiller or somebody that just scores longshots from everywhere.

I have no clue how to defend anymore and I am very close to sell off all my players. My teams were way better, some guys had like 60 chem and a non rare squad and I still lost with 4 goals difference.

Its not about having a good team anymore, Bale, Hazard, Aguero, Pogba - they all dont matter if the online oppenent have mastered the Zig zag, long shots or skills.

This all has nothing do do anymore with real life football, FUT is an arcade game and it is going to make me give up the game.
  • RangerCraig
    185 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    i have had to change my mentality of trying to get the ball back on defence to stop the oppo from scoring. that helped me in defence.

manual contain (like a sweeper) while pressing (tapping) RB works best for me. still get some crazy games where concede loads but **** happens sometimes in football!

also try to score majority of your chances, def is same for all take advantage of that...
  • Hody
    924 posts Semi-Pro
    What formation and mentality do you play?
  • RangerCraig
    185 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hody wrote: »
    What formation and mentality do you play?

i mean mentality in my head, i now think contain instead of get the ball back.

i am playing a 4312 atm cant get winger formations to work consitantly :( sad as wingers are my fave players!

anyway i use normal mentality unless a goal down i go attacking and ultra att if desporate, and if really strugling i go defensive never used ultra or park the bus..
  • Hody
    924 posts Semi-Pro
    I switched from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2 to 4-3-3(4) and then 4-3-2-1 I have problems cutting in, maybe I should try a different formation with less need to cut inside