Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Alastair
    5519 posts Moderator
    Looks like top 3 is safe. Hopefully you can pip past Valencia to get second. :)
  • Danimal5981
    461 posts Sunday League Hero
    I still think you'll end up as vice-champions
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 3
    Alastair wrote: »
    Looks like top 3 is safe. Hopefully you can pip past Valencia to get second. :)
    I still think you'll end up as vice-champions
    Thanks guys! Well, we did our best... Absolutely everything we could do:

NfJOgfG.png

aXpU5iX.png

APs3eWf.png

Unfortunately it wasn't enough to win the league, but at least I have no regrets about the last part of the season.
    We dropped too many points in the earlier stages of the league, even against opponents that should've been easily defeated, but we ended in style.
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Danimal5981
    Ending second isn't a punishment. The Champions League awaits!
  • Ashy
    7397 posts Big Money Move
    You love a 1-0 win don't you? :D

Glad to see you are keeping up with this, must be the longest running story this year and very nice to see you at a top club like Atletico Madrid. Unlucky in the league and Europe this year if you spend wisely I can see you pushing the team for the title and further in Europe next year
  • ale85bg
    edited May 3
    Ending second isn't a punishment. The Champions League awaits!
    Thanks man! Yeah, I don't see it as a punishment... I just look back and say "wow, we dropped at least 10 easy points in the season, we could've made it!"
    I mean, look at the table... 4 stupid points, nothing more.

f2XXdan.png

Ashy wrote: »
    You love a 1-0 win don't you? :D
    That's my problem with FIFA 16 unfortunately. :joy:
    Also last year in the Como career I went through periods of low scoring games, conceding few goals but finding it hard to score. This season has more or less been the same. They use to say "tomorrow is another day" though: I'm planning to play the next season(s) with FIFA 17 so results may vary, and...
    Well, even the league structure is going to change a little bit.

Stay tuned! :)
  • Alastair
    5519 posts Moderator
    Congrats on the season especially considering the position you took over in. :smile:

Good to see you old side getting a respectable finish as well.

Sporting Lisbon in the CL final. :joy:
  • ale85bg
    edited May 4
    Congrats on the season especially considering the position you took over in. :smile:
    Thanks! Yeah I'm surprised by Sporting CP too... :flushed:

Dear journal,

This is the day, most likely. May is ending, and I have the feeling that also my relationship with Atlético Madrid will soon do so. I got an email from Mr. Cerezo yesterday, reminding me that the yearly performance review meeting had been scheduled for this morning (should you wonder, Bill actually gifted me a Lumia 630 phone in the end and I love it, that's why I'm still using it now):

XZdCiM7.png

This is why I'm slowly walking to the meeting now. It's a hot and sunny day, and a walk to the 1903 Sport Bar, where the meeting will take place, is most likely the best way to make up my mind about the doubts I've been having in these days.
    Mr. Cerezo already said he's pleased with the league position, but also stated that he isn't as happy with what we did in the cups. On top of that, he questioned our play several times, saying that it doesn't really fit a world class club like Atlético. "Entertaining football" he said to me once "is what I'm after. Goalless draws and dull 1-0 wins are not what will make this team worth remembering, even if they bring valuable points".

And that's exactly what he says first, as soon as the meeting kicks off:
    "Mr. Keller, would you kindly remind the board of what Atlético's results in this month have been?"

"Three wins out of three, sir".

"And... How many goals have we scored?"

"Three, sir. Three goals in three games. Without conceding".

Mr. Cerezo looks at me, then turns to the rest of the board, before going on: "Three wins, nine points. If we add April's results to these, it makes five back to back wins and a team that's undefeated in seven. A very good result, table wise".
    Everyone seems to agree.

"But again, could you kindly tell me how the players left the stadium after the victory against Lugo?"

"What? With the bus, sir... What else?"

"Are you sure of that? Because I'd swear you had left it parked in front of our goal, I clearly spotted it there for all the match".
    Everyone laughs, including me. I never thought he could also be a funny chap.

"Do you see the problem, Mr. Keller? How many times did you ask your players to park the bus during the season? This is not how Atlético should play".

"Mr. Cerezo, you saw what happened against Tottenham yourself. Had we parked the bus after the 1-0 we would've gone to extra time... But we decided to keep attacking and we got hit on the counter".

Everyone approves, and it's Mr. Cerezo again talking:
    "Mr. Keller, I'll be frank. I'd love to offer you a two year contract with Atlético because the improvements in terms of table position since you joined are there for everyone to see, but I need you to promise me that you'll change the way the team plays. Quick, attacking football is what I'm looking for: just tell me it's something you could provide, and the bench is yours".

I hesitate. The job is there to take, I just have to say a single "OK" and it'll still be mine. But I can't do that, and I try to explain it calmly:
    "I don't know if I can do that. I believe that it's important to adapt the play to the qualities of the players and I don't really see such an attacking play work well with this team. We have a wonderful bunch of lads, really, but we are just made to play differently".

"Fair enough Mr. Keller, I deeply appreciate the honesty. I take it as your final answer then".

"Please, feel free to do so. I enjoyed these months big time but I'm not willing to give up my philosophy".

He smiles, he says again "I appreciate it, more than you could think. Good luck with whatever the future has set aside for you, and I truly hope to meet you again, maybe as an opponent in Division 1. You deserve it".

We shake hands, then we both sit down again and the meeting goes on like nothing happened.
    The only difference is that I've just resigned.

• Alastair
    5519 posts Moderator
    edited May 4
    :( Sad to see you go.

Judging by the email I assume you're going to PSG?

That parking the bus joke :joy:

Also, what's Trump emailing you about?
  • ale85bg
    edited May 4
    Or maybe to Tenerife (hence the mail by Donald Trump), and I'm just going to Paris to see the Euro. :grimace:

I'm setting everything up for the new season... It won't take long, and there are the Euros to keep us busy in the meantime. ;)

• Alastair
    5519 posts Moderator
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Or maybe to Tenerife (hence the mail by Donald Trump), and I'm just going to Paris to see the Euro. :grimace:

I'm setting everything up for the new season... It won't take long, and there are the Euros to keep us busy in the meantime. ;)

Which year is this then? Have you jumped back in time for the move to FIFA 17? :smiley:
  • ale85bg
    edited May 4

Which year is this then? Have you jumped back in time for the move to FIFA 17? :smiley:
    We just reached the 2016 off-season in the story.
    The FIFA games I used till now have only been used for playing the season they were released in (i.e. FIFA 14 has only been used for the 2013/14 season): as a result of this, the upcoming season (2016/17) will be finally played with FIFA 17 and will feature some important changes in the league structure as I said earlier.
    As this might actually be the last career I can play (and post here) properly, I decided to try and include all the FIFA games I own (that's why I started in January 2011). :)
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Alastair
    5519 posts Moderator

We just reached the 2016 off-season in the story.
    The FIFA games I used till now have only been used for playing the season they were released in (i.e. FIFA 14 has only been used for the 2013/14 season): as a result of this, the upcoming season (2016/17) will be finally played with FIFA 17 and will feature some important changes in the league structure as I said earlier.
    As this might actually be the last career I can play (and post here) properly, I decided to try and include all the FIFA games I own (that's why I started in January 2011). :)

Ah ok, that makes more sense then. :tongue:

Hopefully this isn't your last story but if it is, you've chosen a good one to end it on. :) I have a feeling my current one will be my last as well. :(
  • JamieC
    530 posts Sunday League Hero

Clearly he is going to manage Finn Harps! :joy:

I hopes it's not your last story too, but if it is then you will end it on a good one! :smiley:
  • Danimal5981
    WHAT :'( ?????
    Well, I could live with a move to Tenerife (even if it is Trumpfunded) I spent almost a year there (Las Galletas, southwest-point of the Island, quite a while from Santa Cruz) and I've built quite a sympathy for that team (and quite the opposite for Las Palmas)
  • subpop
    630 posts Sunday League Hero
    The last part of the season was good and the 2nd position is a successful result.

Now I see you leave it here... this was short!

I wish it is not your last story either... but I wonder what you mean with "important changes in the league structure"...
  • ale85bg
    Hopefully this isn't your last story but if it is, you've chosen a good one to end it on. :)
    JamieC wrote: »
    I hopes it's not your last story too, but if it is then you will end it on a good one! :smiley:
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

Well, I set myself a goal and I didn't reach it, so... Time to move on to another challenge which will be unveiled soon.

subpop wrote: »
    I wonder what you mean with "important changes in the league structure"...
    Do you remember all the slides about the ECSL? Well, it's time for it to hit the road. :) It's been a pain to set everything up but you won't be let down, trust me!

Meanwhile, it's time to see what happened around Europe:

QDwuKZl.png
  • subpop
    Hopefully this isn't your last story but if it is, you've chosen a good one to end it on. :)
    JamieC wrote: »
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

Well, I set myself a goal and I didn't reach it, so... Time to move on to another challenge which will be unveiled soon.

I wonder what you mean with "important changes in the league structure"...
    Do you remember all the slides about the ECSL? Well, it's time for it to hit the road. :) It's been a pain to set everything up but you won't be let down, trust me!

Meanwhile, it's time to see what happened around Europe:

QDwuKZl.png

Yes! I was thinking about it but I was unsure it was it.

• ale85bg
    edited May 5
    Yes! I was thinking about it but I was unsure it was it.
    Wonder no more my friend...

Dear journal,

life as an unemployed manager ain't bad at all. I wonder why I always end up being unemployed when a big International tournament is about to begin (and as it happened two years ago straight before the World Cup, it's me who resigned, no less!) but I think there's not an easy answer to that. To be honest, I needed this little break: I did well at Levante and I did almost as well at Atlético, so I'm sure that I'll manage to find a club in a short time.

Meanwhile, I'm just enjoying my month off and my trip to France. I wonder why I've never either played or managed in France: Saint Denis looks like a pretty good place to live in, in all honesty. I'm here, sitting in the middle of the tribune in the Stade de France, listening to a DJ set by David Guetta waiting for the opening ceremony to begin.

hD6QmyC.png

I have to be honest though: even more than that, the thing I'm anticipating the most is Michel Platini's speech which he will make shortly before the opening ceremony. He teased all of us saying that he's going to announce "the biggest change to the game since its inception", so it must be something huge. He already announced that the entire league structure of the major European leagues would change big time after the Euros, but it looks like the moment for the details has come as the music has slowly faded out and David Guetta is now leaving the main stage.

Enter Michel Platini.

"Ladies and gentlemen, dear friends, I'm here to announce that this is the end of the game as we know it. UEFA has been working hard during the last year to prepare a completely new way of imagining football, and I'm here today to officially announce that we succeeded in doing so. Starting from today, the most important European Leagues as you know them will cease to exist altogether. A new era begins, and it's the ECSL era!"
    The applause is almost deafening, as the video screens in the stadium display the first official ECSL infographic showing how the four divisions are made:

c6oQ9cN.png

"As you can see, the best clubs in Europe have agreed to join a brand new league system, made of four divisions, for which we..." his voice suddenly becomes feeble to the point it's almost inaudible "must thank the EPL and the English FA for we borrowed their league scheme". His voice goes then back to normal after the sentence: having to thank the English FA, for a Frenchman, shouldn't have been easy.
    "As you can see, teams are arranged according to their strength, and according to the ranking of their nation. Nations with a biggest footballing culture like Spain and England are rewarded with more teams, but we made sure to also have for example Finnish, Polish, Austrian teams in the league system".

Another applause, and I must say that it's deserved: I like what I see.

He then goes on:
    "Winning the ECSL Division 1 will be the ultimate goal of any kid when he starts to kick a football, the ultimate goal of any European team and the biggest recognition of the greatness of a champion. This applies to every European club, but it's also true that for every European National team the ultimate goal is to win the EURO, and that's why we are here today. Let the EURO begin!"

This really is the biggest change in the game since I've started playing dear journal, and I wonder how will it pan out: if they did their work right, it's going to be amazing.
    Rejoice dear journal: it's an epoch-making change, it's happening here and now and we're right in the middle of it.
  • Danimal5981
    UUUUUUH! Big up for the effort and the graphs here man. Excited to see how this pans out.
    And where you come in, to this very very large picture... although I see CD Tenerife in 4th division so I kind of feel something happening in... say ... Santa Cruz de Tenerife?
  • ale85bg
    edited May 5
    Thanks man! I must be honest, setting it all up took me like three hours (graphics excluded).
    I had to "bring" to FIFA 17 all the transfers made in the previous years of the career (and won't you edit the default team sheets then to make sure that Robben plays in Barcelona instead of a random sun rated in the mid 70s?) and then to manually swap all the teams one by one... Hopefully it will be worth! :joy:
  • ale85bg
    AeIxJM3.png
  • Ashy
    Fantastic effort with the graphics here, love the all the news coming in. This new European elite leagues thing is an interesting one, it's cool to see all 4 divisions and who's where, eager to see how that goes and who will win the Euro's I have a feeling Spain will for some reason, Spain v Germany final
  • ale85bg
    edited May 7
    Spain v Germany final
    You didn't say it for real, did you? Very close prediction indeed! :joy:

dDdRHT8.png

Paris - July 10, 2016: Álvaro Morata's wonderful form hasn't been enough for Spain to have the upper hand against Germany tonight, in this tight final at the Stade de France. The forward, currently playing at Juventus but about to come back to his former club Real Madrid according to the rumours, brought his team ahead at minute 18 when he received a wonderful pass by Nolito, dribbled past Hummels with a skill move and fired the ball past Neuer on the near post.

Morata almost set up a wonderful chance for Diego Costa, but the striker of Brazilian descent missed a sitter that would've almost closed the match. From then, Germany started to grow and scored the equalizer with Hummels, perfectly connecting with a corner kick and heading it past David De Gea who could do nothing about it.

Very late in the match, after a post hit by Morata it was İlkay Gündoğan to solve the match. The midfielder, who will be moving to Manchester City after the tournament, played the perfect threaded through ball for Toni Kroos: the attacking midfielder on the receiving edge of the pass, who is currently playing for Real Madrid, only had to control it and to knock it past De Gea with the tip of his right foot to score the winner.

Spain tried to react but didn't have the time to, as the referee blew the final whistle just a couple of minutes after the goal scored by Kroos. Celebrations are still underway both in Paris and in Germany, where millions of fans have flooded the streets with colourful and noisy celebrations.

AJRz2vO.png
  • subpop
    Great idea. Nice graphics!

The presentation of the new competition was fantastic... But if I were the UEFA president I would fire the marketing director. ECSL doesn't sound very commercial for something so big. :p
  • ale85bg
    But if I were the UEFA president I would fire the marketing director. ECSL doesn't sound very commercial for something so big. :p
    I know, I just couldn't come up with anything better! :joy:

Dear journal,

my flight back to Madrid is currently taking off, and I'm happily watching it from a bar while sipping a Martini Royale with a friend. That's right, I missed the flight on purpose and hopefully I'll not have to fly back to Spain for some time.

Everything happened before the European Championships final. I reached the Stade de France early, to savour all the little things that happen before a match that's so important, things that usually people don't care about.
    The stadium was still half empty and there were still one and a half hours to the kickoff, when a man I had never seen before approached me:

vCjktOL.png

"Mr. Keller! Would you mind signing an autograph for a fan?"

"Why not? Would you please lend me a pen though? I don't have anything to write with".

He pulled a pen from the pocket on his dark shirt and opened a small suitcase from which he pulled a local newspaper, the main page of which showed a team dressed in green with the title "Cinderella still looking for a manager". I signed the newspaper, gave it back to him and I saw him smiling.

"Thank you Mr. Keller... I was wondering, would you also sign an autograph on a contract perhaps?"
    He unfolds the newspaper and points his finger to the team on the main page: "My name is Patrice Haddad and this is Red Star, my team. We're looking for a manager after our former gaffer, Rui Almeida, left the team when we got included in Division 4. I'll be honest, we aren't really equipped for the Division 4 right now and he left because he tought we would never be".

"So, if you're not ready for Division 4, what's the plan?"

"First of all, we shouldn't let the situation cramp our style. I'm not asking for miracles here, I thought about finishing between 12th and 15th for the first season, trying to lose as few matches as possible. Then, I expect the team to slowly grow over the years... But no pressure".

And that's why I'm here tonight with Patrice, reading the contract he just submitted me, willing to sign it and to officially have my new adventure in France begin.

See you soon dear journal, I'll keep you updated.
    Kasey
  • Ashy
    Got the final prediction correct just not the winner, damn! Anyway's great write up there, Germany just too strong
  • ale85bg
    Got the final prediction correct just not the winner, damn! Anyway's great write up there, Germany just too strong
    Thanks! I honestly wish Red Star were as strong as Germany... But from what I see, it's going to be a long and painful season. :cry:

uWhBFAT.png

pWEsVAc.png

tBYDx26.png

As failing to advance past the group stage of the pre-season tournament wasn't enough, we also managed to have one of the key players injured and out for two months. Considering that I only have a left midfielder (Sliti) I think that it's time to start reading those boring documents that are usually called "scout reports". After all there must be a reason why we are currently paying the team's scouts, am I right?
  • ale85bg
    July has ended, and the transfer market has already heated up and several teams are already going full steam ahead (like Atlético Madrid, tell Cerezo you're going to build a super-duper-attacking team and he'll splash any amount of cash you ask)... And then there's Paris St. Germain.

jIEXwwv.png

In three years (or a little more perhaps, but not much) they sold Thiago Silva, Cavani, Sirigu, Verratti, Lucas... I honestly don't know what's happening to them.
    But we shouldn't feel safe either, as our only left midfielder apparently is starting to feel unsettled:

92JvQup.png

Rumour has it that he will hand in a transfer request before the end of the window... Hopefully he's not. Playing with no left midfielders won't be that much fun I assume.
  • Ashy
    Not a great pre-season considering you are already out of the mini competition but what hurts the most is having a key player injured for 2 months, looking forward to the season ahead though