Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Greenman019
    2364 posts Fans' Favourite
    Interesting idea with Tenerife TBH, wonder where that'll lead.

Two draws is OK at this stage I guess. Those kinda results are only really good or bad when supplemented with a win or loss respectively if that makes sense.
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 3
    Interesting idea with Tenerife TBH, wonder where that'll lead.
    Well, it looks like they've been spending wisely. Over the past three years they bought Rubén Castro, Samuel, Spolli, Joaquín... They're a pretty solid team expected to end in one of the UEL spots now.
    I still wonder if they'll make the leap eventually, and finally turn into a title contender.

subpop wrote: »
    Two draws to start against humble teams. Not the best results but I wish you can build up from this.
    Yeah, not the best results but they're not really worrying at this stage. I still prefer to think that we're undefeated rather than thinking that we're still winless. :joy:

1h1jyjK.png
  • ale85bg
    Another deadline day has passed, and like usual there have been some interesting transfers and a couple of huge deals: David Silva leaving Manchester City to join Bayern for a fee in the region of € 70 million is the most expensive one, but it's not the only surprise of this transfer session:

nZmZrOi.png
  • ale85bg
    Another month has passed and we're still undefeated... But at least we won a couple of matches! :joy:

JRYzsFi.png

9rVJCOo.png

WDCg4Y3.png

UatDoBA.png

Sorry for not being really consistent in this period, but I'm hardly home so I've just catched up with the save and I'm posting the matches almost in real time.
  • subpop
    630 posts Sunday League Hero
    Really good results this time. The draws were against top teams and, as you say, Levante remains undefeated.

I can see Levante fighting for higher goals this time.
  • ale85bg
    I can see Levante fighting for higher goals this time.
    Yeah, the blard asked us to end at least 6th and we'll try and deliver. If we keep being this tight at the back, we will definitely have a chance. :)

UwfsjGK.png
  • Danimal5981
    461 posts Sunday League Hero
    last time I saw Barça so low was end 2002/early 2003. But the differences are still small
  • subpop
    last time I saw Barça so low was end 2002/early 2003. But the differences are still small

Ouch... those days... :s

• ale85bg
    Yeah, it's pretty early...
    Yet, to be honest, we showed that we could put up a good fight against anyone so far if we wanted: even in October we managed to hold Villarreal and Real Sociedad to a draw while losing to Real Madrid unfortunately.

dsFjE5L.png

4EWGckr.png

wUZVhHj.png

We also managed to defeat Leganés in the Copa del Rey first round, even if they never were expected to be a difficult opponent:

0F93Kmt.png
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Defense looks pretty good despite the loss of Vyntra. Tough loss against Real Madrid, but they were due to start their climb in the table, and why not start by stepping on Levante. :o
  • Alastair
    5519 posts Moderator
    edited April 11
    I've just had a flick through and I like what I see. :smiley: Some decent-ish results, some good updates and some amazing graphics :open_mouth:

Real Madrid and Barcelona though. :D
  • subpop
    Mixed results although the rivals had certain level. I wish you can find the key to make the step forward you need to climb in the standings and compete for higher goals.
  • ale85bg

Alastair wrote: »
    I've just had a flick through and I like what I see. :smiley:
    Thanks man, much appreciated!
    About the graphics, glad you like them. :)

Virtual_K wrote: »
    Defense looks pretty good despite the loss of Vyntra.
    Yeah, it looks like we found the balance at the back, even if we had to switch to a 4 at the back formation again.

Mixed results although the rivals had certain level. I wish you can find the key to make the step forward you need to climb in the standings and compete for higher goals.
    Thanks man! We surely can, at least according to Keller:

qHI494u.png
  • ale85bg
    Dear journal,

the International break is on and finally I managed to relax for an entire weekend at home with my family, after a pretty good beginning of the month no less. It's true, we should've defeated Deportivo, but their keeper has been astonishing to the point that even a concrete wall wouldn't have done any better than he did.
    I mean, he saved two point blank attempts and as if those saves weren't enough he also managed to pull a couple of shots out from the top corners without any effort apparently.
    He definitely managed to outshine Diego Mariño, and it's not an easy task at all.

xCtiN56.png

Q6lqN0i.png

RKKiqRR.png

What I'm really worried about now is Vyntra's form. He got back during the Deportivo match for a short stint and then re-gained his starter role against Valencia. While single-handedly annihilating Dzyuba in that occasion (by the way, you don't know how good it feels to see Valencia play hoofball in the desperate attempt to score on you by overloading your box with players as they can't do anything else), he didn't look as sharp as he used to be before the injury.
    Hopefully it's just a temporary thing, but if you add to this that Camarasa explicitly asked me to have him sit on the bench for the Tenerife match, because he didn't feel up to it, you see that we might have a problem with training.
    See you soon dear journal, I got to go now. I still have to pack my bags, as tomorrow there will be a flight to Greece waiting for me: I'm heading to Athens, to see the friendly match between Greece and Austria.
    That's right: Ivanschitz and Karampelas will be facing each other tomorrow and I'm really curious to see the outcome.
  • subpop
    Fantastic run of results including the solid victory at Mestalla in the Derby! Even the draw against Depor seems unfair, which is annoying, but also a sign of a moment of good form. Surely these results will take Levante higher. Congratulations.
  • Alastair
    5519 posts Moderator
    Great results there especially Valencia.

Hopefully Barca go down. :p Who'd have thought you'd be ahead of them at this point in the season.
  • ale85bg
    edited April 14
    Fantastic run of results including the solid victory at Mestalla in the Derby!
    Alastair wrote: »
    Great results there especially Valencia.

Thanks! Yeah, winning the derby has been a pretty little moment. :) Meanwhile, there are managers in the league that definitely don't fare as well as Keller...

2EfRLsi.png

Madrid, November 18, 2015: It's still early in the season, but it looks like there are a couple of chairmen that already lost their patience. Atlético Madrid and Tenerife showed the door to their respective managers during the International break: Diego Pablo Simeone and Sigi Schmid are not in charge anymore.

Cerezo's savoir-faire: According to Simeone, Enrique Cerezo has been very professional to him. He called the manager in his office, they discussed for some time about the performances of the club then, seeing that they couldn't reach a middle ground, Cerezo politely informed Simeone that their roads would be parting soon.
    «Of course I can't say I'm happy» the former Atlético manager said «but I must say, honestly, that I've been treated great here at Atlético and that Cerezo and I agreed that if the results are not what the board expects, the manager is usually the first one paying the consequences». The chairman shared a similar vision of what happened: «It's always sad to let go a piece of your history like Diego is and will ever be. Atlético Madrid thanks him, I do thank him myself for everything he's done and wishes him all the best for the future».

Trump's impetuosity: According to Sigi Schmid, things in Tenerife went a little differently: «I got a phone call from Trump yesterday night after dinner, he just said "Sigi, don't bother showing up for the training session tomorrow. Please tell Brian (Schmetzer, my assistant manager) that he's the man in charge now and that we'll discuss the new salary soon. Don't let the door hit you on your way out" and that's pretty all». The Tenerife chairman, who recently declared his will to run for President of the USA, hasn't given any declaration to the press and is currently unreachable.

What about now? With Tenerife having already found Schmid's successor, future is unclear for Atlético Madrid. Rumour ahs it that they're currently in talks with Sigi Schmid himself, but apparently they're after another couple of managers and the names should be revelaed soon.

XHNpdJf.png
  • dannyboy
    12177 posts Has That Special Something
    Looks like the formation change worked :p
  • Greenman019
    2364 posts Fans' Favourite
    Things seem to be going well. Just caught up and ye, like Danny said looks like the change of formation worked like a charm. Keep it up.

Poor Sigi :[
  • ale85bg
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Looks like the formation change worked :p
    Things seem to be going well.
    Yeah, things are definitely going well at Levante, and apparently someone noticed it already...

Dear journal,

I need to tell you what happened, and maybe you could help me make up my mind about it.
    I was out with the dog as I often do in the morning, when I noticed my phone was buzzing. Needless to say, it was Bill:
    UNyTj3X.png

I honestly had no idea of who was the person willing to see me, so I walked the dog home and went to see Bill at the Levante headquarters.
    As soon as I entered his office, I recognized the other person waiting for me: grey hair, glasses, businessman look... No doubt, he was Enrique Cerezo.

Bill introduced us to each other, then asked me to sit down at the table with them.
    "Kasey, sorry for having asked you to come here in such a hurry but as you see there's Mr. Cerezo willing to discuss with you about something very, very important. Think about it very well Kasey, as it's a chance that usually only comes in a lifetime."

I stared at him for a little, nodding, and it was then Cerezo's time to talk.
    "Mr. Keller, I bet you already know why we're here so I'll cut it short: I've asked Mr. Gates if he would let you free to manage Atlético Madrid for the remainder of the season, and hopefully for the following ones. He already told me that he'd be OK with it, and that it's 100% up to you."

Bill agreed with Mr. Cerezo, but I was not really sure yet. I calmly addressed my worries to the Atlético chairman:
    "You know, Mr. Cerezo, I'm delighted with this offer. The fact is that I'm managing Levante currently and I would feel guilty toward the players, toward the fans, toward the board if I decided to quit now to join your club."

It was Bill again then:
    "KK, don't be stubborn. We all would be sad to see you leave, but it's your career that's at stake here. Atlético could give you things that Levante would maybe never be able to. You could fight for the La Liga title, now! The last La Liga title ever, it could have your name written on it. I'm telling you this as a friend, not as your boss... Keep it in mind."

I was absolutely stunned. Mr. Cerezo then finally explained the way he sees Atlético Madrid:
    "Mr. Keller, I'll be honest with you. You WILL be asked to fight for the title, end of the story. I tend to see Atlético as a company, not as a football team: the company's goal is to win the title and you, as an employee, should do everything to reach that goal. Do it, and you'll be offered a very long contract. Finish in the top three, and we'll talk about it, end out of the top three and your contract won't be renewed. Of course every company shuld have a good product on the market: you should reach this goal playing a football that's beautiful, not just effective... But we did our researches, and if I came here asking to see you it's because I know your team plays the football I'm after. Allow yourself to think about this offer for a couple of days, and get back to me with the answer then."

We then shaked hands, Bill offered me a coffee then accompanied me down the stairs back in the street.
    "Let me know then, and think about it seriously... I'd be absolutely happy for you if you accepted the offer" he said before letting me free.

I think I've managed to make up my mind about it, but I'm not 100% sure. I need to sleep over this thing for a night at least, to be sure...
  • subpop
    Noooo... not pathetic-o de Madrid :'(

The sad ones.. the cursed ones. :#

But... considering the circumstances, probably I wouldn't reject the offer. At least they don't smell "strange" as their neighbours. :p

• Danimal5981
    I would sit it out and wait until the Barça job opens up (matter of time if you'd ask me, looking at the table...) and tell Mr. Cerezo 'thanks, but no thanks. I'd like to manage a mes que un club, but not a company....'
  • ale85bg
    Noooo... not pathetic-o de Madrid :'(
    I would sit it out and wait until the Barça job opens up (matter of time if you'd ask me, looking at the table...)
    Thing is... Atlético approached me directly: I got an email from them offering me the job. I then decided to open the 'job opportunities' menu and see what was there: the Barcelona job was still not on the list so I had to make a decision and... Here we are! New city, new adventures... And Champions League football once again (which is the thing that most of all convinced me, to be honest)...

RpSv4MK.png

By the way, I like the "Pathetic-o de Madrid" definition, I might aswell use it myself sooner or later! :joy:

• Danimal5981
    Well, you remain (more or less) in the same position; it's just that you were on (or above) expectations with Levante, while now you start well below expectations with ATM. But winning the game in hand, you're only 5 points down, so you should be able to make that up... How's things in Europe?
  • subpop
    I can't blame you for it... depending on the circumstances I might have done the same. Definitely an opportunity in a big club. You can build a nice project there and you will have the tools for it even if the level of exigencies is way higher.

At least they are deeply antimadridistas. :D

• ale85bg
    But winning the game in hand, you're only 5 points down, so you should be able to make that up... How's things in Europe?
    We're currently 3rd in our group with 4 points in 4 matches. Bayern are the leaders (12 points), Galatasaray follow with 5, then we have 4 and AS Monaco just have one and they need a win against us mid-week to have at least a little chance to advance to the UEL. If they don't, they're out of everything.

Definitely an opportunity in a big club. You can build a nice project there and you will have the tools for it even if the level of exigencies is way higher.
    Yeah, they still believe we could win the league... And maybe we can. The reason I decided to move to Atlético when I got the offer is exactly that: with this being the last La Liga ever, I'd love to make it mine. :smiley:
    And honestly, we got off on the right foot both in the league and in Europe:

BJLjU50.png

dn7XiwH.png

ElF2XeS.png

• ale85bg
    Thanks to the two wins in the league, the table doesn't look that bad anymore for Atlético:

k8HdK8C.png

Things aren't going as good in the Champions League despite the win against Monaco though, as we only are one point above Galatasaray (yes, they drew in Munich) so we need them to draw against Monaco if we draw against Bayern, or to lose if Bayern defeat us.
  • subpop
    edited April 18
    Well done. Nice start but now you definitely have a powerful team. LaLiga is totally open, it is strangely tight up there, so all the options are open.

In the Champions league Bayern won't be easy but you can defeat them. Good luck!

BTW Levante looks great up there too.
  • ale85bg
    edited April 18
    Well done. Nice start but now you definitely have a powerful team. LaLiga is totally open, it is strangely tight up there, so all the options are open.
    I agree, La Liga and Copa del Rey are two competitions in which we can (and should) fight until the end. We managed to advance in the cup past Getafe, but we got a draw against Athletic Bilbao early in the month, and I feel we could (should, perhaps?) have done a little more.

weTD9wu.png

93tRPr9.png

In the Champions league Bayern won't be easy but you can defeat them. Good luck!
    Unfortunately it's over. Galatasaray defeating Monaco meant that we needed to win against Bayern, and we didn't deliver. Europa League it is, then!

81kTdtF.png

Now we definitely need to bounce back and concentrate on the league for the second part of the month. Three matches, we need to stay focused if we want to stay up there fighting for the title.
  • ale85bg
    Well, not the results I would've oped for but at least we didn't lose... Even if we got really, really close to it in the derby against Rayo Vallecano...
    A win and two draws mean that we're somehow still there fighting with the top teams.

2iTSDJt.png

spDqokr.png

LfUZNCD.png