Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Just can't get on a run right now but still looking good in the race for 4th I think. Need to win these last 2. Gonna be tight.
    Gonna be another nail biter to finish in the top 4
    Exactly. I expect a win against Mainz, and then... Wolfsburg will be our last match. Make it or break it, apparently.

Iv19F7r.png

• subpop
    630 posts Sunday League Hero
    It's pretty close up in the top 4. I hope you can do it. I'd be great to see you in the CL again.

Take care with Mainz... whenever I expect an easy win, I fail.

I hope you can keep Marc-André and De Jong.
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Can't afford any more letdowns. Don't go gently into that good night. Rage! Rage against the dying of the light! Or something like that. :*
  • ale85bg
    subpop wrote: »
    Take care with Mainz... whenever I expect an easy win, I fail.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Can't afford any more letdowns. Don't go gently into that good night.
    We played at our best indeed and we've managed to grab a win despite de Jong only entering late in the match when Mlapa injured himself and not influencing the game at all (we were already 2-0 up anyway).

xesPbL4.png

Now it will be all or nothing against Wolfsburg... We can do it!

• subpop
    Well done!! I

All the best vs Volkswagen FC.
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    :# All or nothing to finish the season! Woo! Go beat those B******* silly!
  • ale85bg
    edited February 5
    All the best vs Volkswagen FC.
    :# All or nothing to finish the season! Woo! Go beat those B******* silly!
    Thanks guys, we'll do our best... Meanwhile, well, Sigi is Sigi. And he wouldn't be the good ol' Sigi without some pre-match banter.

gEDXrVq.png

• Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    I would like to dedicate this next song to Sigi:
    "Should I stay or should I go now. If I go there will be trouble, and if I stay it will be double."

Gotta love the Facebook exchanges. :)
  • Greenman019
    2364 posts Fans' Favourite
    Dammit Sigi >_>
  • ale85bg
    I would like to dedicate this next song to Sigi:
    "Should I stay or should I go now. If I go there will be trouble, and if I stay it will be double."
    Well, by coincidence it's the same song he was listening to while driving onto the Autobahn, on our way to the stadium...

Dammit Sigi >_>
    Well, we can't be unlucky forever, can we?

Dear journal,

this is a day I will remember for a long, long time. The fear when they went ahead with Perisic, that feeling of "oh no, it's happening again... Dammit, Sigi!" and the hope. We were playing better, surely we would be able to turn the game around. "There's still time" Sigi kept saying to me. "There's still plenty of time indeed, isn't it so?"
    All he wanted was to be reassured. He knew we were stronger than Wolfsburg, he knew we could turn the game around, yet he just needed someone to tell him all these things.
    And then, a corner for us and a header by our captain Martin Stranzl which their keeper couldn't reach. The equalizer!
    You should've seen Sigi, dear journal: he tore the upper part of his suit away, he began to jump all over the place like a raver on dope, he looked at me and shouted "We can do it KK! WE WILL DO IT!" grabbing me by the collar of my shirt.
    I don't even describe you what happened when Mike Hanke scored the 2-1 goal. The part of the stadium reserved to the away fans just blew up in a roar I had hardly ever heard before. The rest of the stadium was completely silent. And then Sigi's rage when de Jong missed a sitter that would result in the 3-1.
    "Are we gonna suffer until the end? SO BE IT! I'm not scared KK, I'm NOT scared!"
    And then the final whistle. The home players crying and shaking their heads, the away players suddenly reaching 7th Heaven. Xhaka celebrating in front of Perisic, the Croatian winger pulling his shirt, trying to hit him... All of this I will remember almost forever.

It's done dear journal, we've qualified for the Champions League playoffs.

PtCcp1h.png
  • Greenman019
    Congrats. Must have been really nervy after going a goal down. What a game for a comeback ^^
  • ale85bg
    edited February 8
    Congrats. Must have been really nervy after going a goal down. What a game for a comeback ^^
    Thanks man! Or... Well, thanks dear friend from another panet... :tongue:
    Yeah, tense match until the end really. I always select "unnerve opponent" in the pre-match press conference each time I come up with a pre-match bragging post by Sigi, and it hasn't brought much luck since this match (I still remember last year... :scream: ). This time it went well though, luckily enough! :joy:

hf90BPW.png
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • subpop
    LOL @ #SangCuléCorCatalà

Well done mate! Congratulations!
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Sigi is saved, and Freddy got a call up, woo hoo! Looking at the top two in the table, still a long road to a league title, but every journey begins with the first step.
  • ale85bg
    Well done mate! Congratulations!
    Thanks man! It's been a hard season but we managed to fulfill the board's requirements so I'm delighted with it. :)

Sigi is saved, and Freddy got a call up, woo hoo!
    Yeah, fully deserved too. :)
    And talking about the World Cup... Why don't we see the favourites?

eOSgePE.png

• Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Congrats! Bring on Champions League football next season!
  • Greenman019
    Do like the end of season graphic, nice world cup preview as well. Interesting that Arsenal won both the League and the UCL :o
  • ale85bg
    Congrats! Bring on Champions League football next season!
    Do like the end of season graphic, nice world cup preview as well. Interesting that Arsenal won both the League and the UCL :o
    Thanks guys! :)

Well there's the World Cup to follow first... GO USAAAA!!! DXHqiA2.gifDXHqiA2.gifDXHqiA2.gif

• ale85bg
    edited February 8
    Dear journal,

five days to go and then the World Cup will be underway.
    I honestly cannot wait for that moment. Having played in four of the previous World Cups myself, you can imagine how excited I am to see the players I've worked with in the recent years: Stefan Frei will be defending the goal of Switzerand for the first time, and Marc-André Ter Stegen has been selected for the German national team to be Neuer's backup after a great season.
    Of course I'm also very curious to see the American keepers in action: Billy Hamid being selected for the first time with Howard and Rimando is a big achievement for him and for the MLS. Just think about it, there are two keepers from the MLS in our National Team. Isn't it great?
    What I don't really like that much is that two players playing for the Galaxy will miss the World Cup: Landon Donovan, who had a season riddled with little yet annoying injuries, and Kirk Sanders.
    I've heard wonders of this young guy and I was really, really looking forward to see him play.

Still, it's going to be an incredible tournament. So many superstars from all over the world are ready to fight for the title, and I can't pick a favourite at the moment. I'd say France if I had to, but just because Freddy Adu is still a little bit off-colour.
    Despite this, I'm still confident that the USA will make a good run this time.

Time to relax now, I'll be playing some FIFA then I'll be heading to bed as I'm dead tired. Well, if Sigi quits shouting downstairs: he's been arguing on the phone for a good ten minutes now, I don't know who he's yelling out insults at, but he surely sounds like he's mad. If he keeps hollering like that I doubt I could ever fall asleep.

Then my phone vibrates. Oh wow, someone mentioned me on Twitter... Let's look at who he is:
    qgRFfDT.png
    It can't be. It's some sort of prank, surely. Someone must have taken Mark's phone and should've posted this tweet without his consent. It cannot be true.
    I'm shocked from what I just saw. I grab the phone, rush downstairs to Sigi who is still on the phone shouting like there's no tomorrow. Now I hear what he says, and I think I know who he's mad at.
    He must have seen the same tweet I saw.

"You're a useless bunch of idiots, a poor excuse for a board! If I asked my bloody sofa to do the transfer market, it would do better than you've done till now!"

I approach Sigi and show him the phone. "Is this what you're raving about?"

Sigi stares at the phone in disbelief. Then nods towards his laptop:
    fxmQUQ8.png
    They also sold de Jong apparently. I'm out of myself, and so is Sigi. He does nothing to hide it though.

"And I've just heard about Ter Stegen too! What do you have in your brains? HAMSTERS? Do you even have brains at all?"

He stops, someone's talking on the other side of the phone. But it doesn't last long.
    "You know what? I don't care, f**k it. I'm taking the car, I'm heading to your damn headquarters and trust me that there will be a bloody carnage there in no time! And no, I don't care if you want to fire me... I spare you the work: I'm out! I RESIGN! You can kiss my a*$ goodbye!"

He throws the phone on the sofa, he looks at me and says "KK, quick, grab me a bloody beer. I need to relax if I don't want to die of a stroke".

As I'm opening the fridge to grab two bottles of beer, my phone buzzes. It's them.
    When the ringtone starts playing, I pick up.
    I wait some seconds just to be sure to understand what they're telling me, then I answer: "Please stop it. I don't care about your excuses, and I don't want the manager job. I'm out, too".

I'm officially unemployed and so is Sigi, but this couldn't go on.
    First Arango, then Ter Stegen and de Jong... What next? Waking up one morning and finding out that they had sold the goalposts and the goalnets behind our back overnight? Screw that.

We're watching the World Cup in peace just like two old friends on holiday, then we'll start looking for another team.
    I'd love to keep working with Sigi but who knows, will there be someone fool enough to ask me to manage their team by myself?
  • Greenman019
    Poor Sanders. I'm sure his time will come though.

And what the hell are the board doing offloading 2 key players like that. Great time to get out I think. Wonder what the next move is.
  • JoshDFC
    707 posts Sunday League Hero
    Brilliant to finish in the Champions League places well done :) also well done to AS Roma winning Serie A :smiley:
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    To quote an old American TV commercial: Don't get glad, get mad. (or is it the other way around :o )
    An unexpected twist to the Keller saga, would have loved to see how Gladbach would have competed for the title but the actions of the Board left no alternative; complete lack of respect. Keeping an eye on the Twitter feeds to see where the dynamic duo ends up. ;)
    Poor Sanders. I'm sure his time will come though.
    He could have sworn it already had. :D

• Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Those dirty rotten b*******! Well the future looks bright at least. Two coaches that just qualified for the Champions League should have a few offers.
  • ale85bg
    edited February 9
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Brilliant to finish in the Champions League places well done :)
    Thank you pal! It's been painful but we did it and it's all important. Sad to leave Borussia but it was the right thing to do.

Those dirty rotten b*******! Well the future looks bright at least.
    Oh, the future surely looks brighter out of Borussia than in it at the moment. And you're right, both Sigi and KK are likely to receive some offers.

Keeping an eye on the Twitter feeds to see where the dynamic duo ends up. ;)
    Great time to get out I think. Wonder what the next move is.
    You'll not have to wait much to find out, as the next season is right around the corner... Meanwhile, it looks like KK and Sigi are enjoying a much deserved holiday in Brazil to see their nations collide...

Dear journal,

life as an unemployed former player is better than I would've expected. Two days ago Sigi came upstairs (yes, he dared climb up the stairs to the guest room... And this makes me think once again that yes, I'm still sleeping in the guest room in my own house) with four plane tickets and two tickets for a World Cup match.

"We have nothing better to do at the moment, am I right? Let's go to see the World Cup then!" he said.

So here we are: we flew to Brazil and we're now sitting in the Belo Horizonte stadium to see the first match of the Round of 16, between Germany and the USA.
    Germany dominated Group A while the USA finished second in Group B not withouit some suffering. It's supposed to be a one way match, but hearing Sigi boasting about Germany to the point of singing "We're gonna win" by Bryan Adams under the shower in the hotel room made me think that nothing is lost yet.

Now, with Howard sidelined for being sent off during the last match of the group stage, it means that Rimando will log his first minutes ever in a World Cup match. I feel pretty happy for him, he deserves such a recognition.

Ten minutes into the match and Beasley gets fouled in the box. Penalty!
    We even go ahead with Dempsey: straight in the top corner, nothing Neuer could do to stop it.
    fTTCu95.png
    Too bad it's only for ten minutes or such.
    Minute 24, Hummels jumps higher than everyone else from a corner and smashes the ball past Rimando with a header. All squared again. And it's Rimando who has to perform two great saves to keep us in the match and to give us the chance to reach the extra time.

During the additional thirty minutes, things don't change much: Germany attack, Rimando does his best to prevent them from scoring:
    CXfMARP.png
    Unfortunately it doesn't last long enough. At the end of the first extra time it's Schweinsteiger to bring them ahead with a header: the ball bounces against the bar and then hits the back of the net. It's the 2-1!
    FMC5yvU.png
    And they're not done there. Müller scores the 3-1 and Götze then scores the 4-1. What looked like a great feat until minute 90 has slowly turned into a massacre.

When the referee blows the final whistle, I'm almost relieved. You should see Sigi's face now, one of the biggest grins I've ever seen.
    That's it, the USA go home. Tomorrow we're going back to Germany, and we'll start looking for a job again. Sigi told me he has a couple of offers to review, let's hope something interesting comes up also for me soon.
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    There's just no stopping Germany; I need a drink.

64i2WDW.png
    Didn't say it had to be alcoholic. :)

Hey, maybe Sigi should try for the US Men's National team. :o
  • subpop
    Looking forward to see Sigi's new destination.

Sad to see such an end of the story at Gladbach.
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Brutal loss for the US there :'( Anxious to see what's next. Wonder if KK and Sigi finally break apart and go there separate ways or if they continue the affair. Lol
  • ale85bg
    There's just no stopping Germany; I need a drink.

64i2WDW.png
    Didn't say it had to be alcoholic. :)
    That looks like a Hell of a drink. And this reminds me that I'll have to update my avatar sooner or later with my new boots (yes, the ones on the label). :joy:

Sad to see such an end of the story at Gladbach.
    I'm also sad, but it was the only thing to do really...

Anxious to see what's next. Wonder if KK and Sigi finally break apart and go there separate ways or if they continue the affair. Lol
    Well, Sigi has apparently found one of the offers he was reviewing pretty interesting as he accepted the courtship of Donald trump's Tenerife:
    hEFV4Ni.png

• Greenman019
    Well let's hope KK doesn't follow him there :D
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    :D :D :D Great move by ol Sigi