Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2016
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I didn't look at the East table close enough to realize Montreal was missing
    Well, apparently they're getting things ready for their entry in the league...

mf2IjOi.png

MILAN, JULY 15 2012: It's a surreal atmosphere the one we breathe today in Milan, as we are here in San Siro to witness one of the biggest revolutions in the history of AC Milan.
    Yesterday, with a shocking press release, the Italian club made public that more than a half of their starters were about to leave, and today the fans were given the chance to see them play together for the last time in a friendly match against Juventus.
    That's right: the likes of Filippo Inzaghi, the centre back wonder duo Alessandro Nesta and Thiago Silva, the midfielders Clarence Seedorf and Gennaro Gattuso, Gianluca Zambrotta and (last but not least) the Swedish superstar Zlatan Ibrahimović have played with AC Milan's colours for the last time today.
    It's a sad day for AC Milan supporters all around the world, it's the end of an era for the Rossoneri: a real revolution. Ibrahimović and Thiago Silva have already put pen to paper and signed new contracts with the French side Paris St. Germain, Seedorf is heading to Brazil, Gattuso to Swiss side Sion and Zambrotta is retiring from played football. Inzaghi isn't sure about his future yet as he said «I'd love to keep playing, but Serie A is too stressful for me. Maybe a Serie B side, or somewhere abroad... Or I'll stop and start following courses as a head coach, why not?» while Nesta, who shares with Inzaghi the same vision about Serie A football, is set to train by himself for some months and join MLS expansion team Montreal Impact in 2013 when they'll join other MLS teams on the pitch.
    Montreal are looking strong already, as they've confirmed the signings of Italian strikers Marco Di Vaio and Bernardo Corradi, of yet another Italian (the left back Matteo Ferrari) and they're also rumoured to be about to sign Troy Perkins, a goalkeeper which the Seattle Sounders have been after for a long time to no avail before signing the Swiss star keeper Stefan Frei from Toronto.
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    f9YwONv.png

The Eastside isn't bad... Could Germany be better though?

After watching the last match on the couch with my son this time I decided to bring all of my family to the Eastside to see the Sounders take on Sporting KC, so I have them take their seats before I go down to the locker room with the team.

While I leave the tribune to enter the locker room, I get approached by Adrian Hanauer: "Hey KK! Mind a word? I've heard Borussia Mönchengladbach is after you... If it's the case, consider their offer carefully: it would be a huge loss not to have you here training Stefan and Terry anymore, but your career could leap forward big time if you accepted. You know there will always be an open door here for you should you decide to come back... Alright?"
    He then extends his hand towards me, and a firm handshake after it's me saying "Alright, I'll review their offer then and let you know. Thank you Adrian".

I really don't pay much attention to the match, but Kris and the kids seem to like it a lot... Especially when Denni Avdić scores the first and only goal of the match:
    pINo9zX.png
    Like it often happens, he received a ball outside the box, slightly on the right, he entered the box and fired a shot on the far post with the outside... It's become a kind of trademark move for him, yet defenders cannot stop him even if they know almost exactly what he's going to do.

Shortly after it's us again getting close to the goal: Evans creates a wonderful chance for Alonso who gets free for the shot with ease, but his shot ends just a little too high:
    q4R2tsa.png
    Then, I admit I got absorbed into thinking about Gladbach and I didn't follow the match that closely anymore.
    It's true Gladbach approached me, and it's true I'm considering their offer: my final answer is due at the end of the month, after the match against Toronto. All of you already know I'll be missing you a lot, my dears, if this happens... Don't you?
  • Greenman019
    2355 posts Fans' Favourite
    So another win by the sound of it, unless you conceded when you were thinking about Germany.

The move seems more likely every update ^^
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Had a feeling the move to Germany was coming. Hopefully it's not too much of a distraction the rest of the season.
  • ale85bg
    Hopefully it's not too much of a distraction the rest of the season.
    Well, Frei is strong enough even without Keller training him anyway! :joy:

So another win by the sound of it, unless you conceded when you were thinking about Germany.
    Luckily, we didn't...
    And anyway, we're moving on the market to strengthen our defence another bit...

OXm5c5f.png

• ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    f9YwONv.png

Marshall hitting the ground running, among stumbling teammates.

Marshall to the Sounders has been one of the most anticipated MLS transfers of the latest months, and now that it finally happened you would imagine Freddie Ljungberg as a happy man looking his new player up and down with satisfaction...
    Well, Marshall's first match with the Sounders has been a nightmare both for him and for his manager unfortunately. Despite being the best of the Sounders, he couldn't prevent the team from showing the worst display of the year against Eastern Conference leaders NY Red Bulls.

The match started in a good fashion for us, with Jaqua (played instead of Denni Avdić who once again didn't feel up to scratch) hitting the post after connecting with a great cross by Neagle:
    nU9tfqC.png
    Some spiteful people could say that Rost tripped him while he was kicking... AND THEY'D BE BLOODY RIGHT!
    It was a penalty in my opinion, but the referee said "play on" so we had to play by his rules.
    To add insult to injury, also Alonso got down during the build-up and had to be brought off with a stretcher. Friberg in, the captain armband to Mike Fucito as also Evans was on the bench (you won't ask me why Freddie didn't bring in Evans instead of Friberg, alright?)

Shortly after, without Alonso playing the filter in front of our back four, they drove our defence crazy.
    Morales played a wonderfull ball towards the box for Henry, only to have Marshall deflect it so it couldn't reach the Frenchman all alone in front of Frei:
    Rmac1tE.png
    What happened next, though, was as bad as what could have happened without the deflection. Rodgers, pictured on the right in the photo, collected the loose ball and entered the box all alone.
    He looked at Frei, he made Frei sit down with a feint and he scored the 1-0 goal.

We didn't give up, but today hasn't been Nate Jaqua's lucky day unfortunately. He once again collected a good cross from Pappa this time, and fired a low shot towards the goal, but Rost somehow managed to reach it and to deflect it away:
    1JdGaET.png
    The first half ended with the Red Bulls leading 1-0, but they weren't done there.

In the second half they made sure to make us pay for that 1-0 win in Seattle, and it hasn't been that difficult for them as Henry was literally on fire.

He scored the 2-0 goal straight after kick-off with a great first-time deflection of a cross by Richards, and when we were trying to score the 2-1 goal that would have brought us back into the match with a handful of minutes to go, he went on a run by himself to score the 3-0 past Frei, who had little to no guilt in any of their goals. It's just been our defence, apart from Marshall apparently, that didn't show up today in NY.
  • Greenman019
    That's a pretty big loss, tough to take. Henry is class though.

Are you using any sliders btw?
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Interesting read about Milan and ended up looking it up to see how much truth there was to the story clip. Hopefully things are better for your club to date. As far as the Sounders losing to NY 3-0, yikes! Don't know what to say except do better against teams I'm not too fond of. :p ;) As far as Keller goes; win a championship first, and then move. ;)
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    Are you using any sliders btw?
    I'm currently using Placebo's FIFA 12 sliders I got from Evo-Web and they rock. The sliders are the reason I didn't risk Denni Avdić against NY, as with these sliders trying to sprint while fatigued means you'll most likely get injured, way more often than it happens with the default settings (so they force you to do some rotation which is a good thing).

Interesting read about Milan and ended up looking it up to see how much truth there was to the story clip.
    Unfortunately it's true. Milan dismantled their team that summer and have never been title contenders anymore since...
    Meanwhile, the career goes its way and there are some transfers that didn't really happen in real life but that are proper to this career (even if they're just rumoured for now):

MDi7qab.png

Then, just a little word on how transfers are dealt with in this career:
    Seeing that wer're still in the past, and that I'm planning my transition to FIFA 13... I'll have to throw some "real" transfers in the mix so the teams in FIFA 13 would look proper... And the Milan story was one of those as it allowed me both to make sure Milan can be recognized should I ever play against them in FIFA 13, and to introduce one of the expansion teams, the Montreal Impact.
    Expansion teams are indeed the reason I need to move away from the MLS for a while, so it could have all the expansion teams in place should I decide to come back at a later date with a more recent FIFA, let's say 16 or 17)...
  • Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    Lots happened since I last looked, tough loss to NYRB there, every time I see that name all I think about is Merte's domination. I think if those two wingers end up leaving you need to bring in reinforcements, might be a big transfer window coming up
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    Ashy wrote: »
    Lots happened since I last looked
    And even more will happen from now on... If you know what I mean. :tongue:

f9YwONv.png

See you later guys, this is a promise!

Well, the time has come, dear fans.
    I had to make a difficult choice in the past days and it's with emotion that I'm announcing I'll leave the Sounders after the match against Toronto. Frei definitely doesn't need me anymore as I've taught him everything I could ever teach, neither does Terry Boss... Sigi does, though.
    So it's official, I'll be moving back to Germany!
    But before leaving, there's one last match at the CenturyLink Field. And I won't be seeing it from the Eastside as usual: I'll be in the commentary box for ESPN, rooting for the Sounders.
    Imagine my reaction when I met the commentator rooting for Toronto today and I saw that it was no less than Andrew Anthony.
    That's right, the 'voice' of EA Sports... In person! And he'll be with me in the commentary box today!
    KPj4gHy.png
    Andrew is a fun guy to be around, but I admit that I honestly wouldn't want to see him celebrate today.
    Luckily enough, it's us who start better and at minute 15 Evans plays a great through ball to Denni Avdić who finds himself past the defenders. Andrew's "no, NO!" shouts probably wake up Kocic, who rushes out like he's never done before and manages to clear the ball before Denni could reach it:
    dmZOz8M.png
    Shortly after, Denni also hits a post. What a shame, it could've been a great goal. But it's Andrew Anthony to celebrate first, when Scaloni finds Gaven near the right limit of the box, and Gaven crosses it in for Johnson to finesse past Frei. "THAT'S. HOW. YOU. SCORE!" shouts Andrew.

The first half ends with Toronto 1-0 ahead, and the second one starts with Kocic performing another great save to deny Denni Avdić the equalizer.
    Then Freddie decides to bring Jaqua out and to sub Mike Fucito in instead, even if Mike looked dead tired during the last training session. But it seems to work: minute 65 and Fucito shields a great ball before knocking it on to Avdić. When Iro confronts him, Denni quickly keeps the ball going by passing it on the right to Rosales who enters the box...
    6cmUzLq.png
    YES! Mauro Rosales pulls an Avdić and equalizes! He did exactly what Denni used to do: he entered the box slightly from the right and then powered the ball towards the far post with the outside of his right foot!
    We try and push on the throttle from the equalizer on, and Denni almost scores the 2-1goal with his usual move, but Kocic is great in deflecting it over the bar.
    nJss0JR.png
    That's it, the referee blows the final whistle and it means the match ends 1-1. Not the result I wanted for the last match I see at the CenturyLink Field... Well, I guess I'll have to come back sooner or later. Maybe on the bench, who knows? After all, Freddie would accept a call from Arsenal if he got one, don't you think?
    Sorry Arsène, that's the way things go.
  • Greenman019
    Not a bad way to end your time stateside. New chapter in the story now with you going to Germany, should be interesting.
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Was time to go. Frei has proved his point this season and is ready to become truly elite. Good luck in Germany my friend. Expect big things B)
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Would have been nice to end your time with a win but a draw with Toronto isn't bad. We'll see how Germany goes for Keller and whether Sigi has clogged the plumbing in his castle. :p

p.s. With all the teams MLS are adding in the next couple of seasons, we'll have to wait until FIFA19 at least. :)
  • ale85bg
    Not a bad way to end your time stateside.
    Would have been nice to end your time with a win but a draw with Toronto isn't bad.
    Yeah, I would've preferred a win to be second two points clear of Los Angeles, but also the draw allows us to have the same points they have so it's really not that big of a deal...

JOEi7TX.png

Was time to go. Frei has proved his point this season and is ready to become truly elite.
    Yeah, he's set to become one of the greatest keepers of the MLS history: his record during this half-season has been impressive to say the least, shutouts and saves like no tomorrow! Who knows, maybe he'll also win the MVP award one day... :sunglasses:
    What I'm pretty sure about is that he'll be the Sounders keeper for many years to come: I wouldn't be surprised if I came back to Seattle in, say, 2015 or 2016 and found him still defending the Sounders' goal.
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    Dear journal,
    I'm currently on the plane that's bringing me to Germany for my new adventure. Neither Kris nor the kids have come with me for the moment and this scares me a bit.
    First of all, because I'll not be able to see my family for months. And most of all, because it means I'll be sharing the castle with Sigi and with Sigi alone. He hardly fits in the spiral staircase that brings to the guest room, so I already know it will be me to use it. I'll be sleeping in the guest room, in my house. Ain't it fun?

As I have time to kill, I try and have a look at the latest transfers, and something catches my eye on the ESPN website and it's about the transfer of a player I know pretty well:

OOQc3VN.png

It was in the air, and now it happened. After the match against New York Lamar Neagle was fuming and accused Freddie to only play him when Rosales wasn't fit. Neagle's requests were clear: either a starter, or on the market.
    Knowing Freddie, he put him on the transfer list straight after the plane landed in Seattle. Luckily for both, as it's not good to have an unhappy player lingering around in the locker room, DC United came in and took him away.
    I wonder what's Freddie going to do now... I've heard the Sounders are after Santino Quaranta and Javier Martina for the role, but I know what I'd do if I were Freddie: Rosales will keep playing on the right and Fernández on the left, with Fernández moving on the right should Rosales be unavailable and leaving his place on the left to Pappa. Yes, this could definitely work. I must tell Freddie.

Unfortunately though, a thought crosses my mind: I'm not at the Sounders anymore. Well, let's see what transfers in Europe look like then:

Ax4DzXg.png

Well, it's going to be an interesting August dear journal... PSG have dominated the market until now, and rumour has it they're also after Lavezzi and after Pescara's rising star Verratti. Let's see what happens next...
    I can't wait to land in Gladbach and to hug my old friend Sigi again!
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • JoshDFC
    695 posts Sunday League Hero
    be interesting to see how you do in Germany
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Toure to United :o
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    Toure to United :o
    yeah, I got a little bit surprised when I saw it too... He was so close to joining Milan then he turned down the offer and signed for United! :scream:

JoshDFC wrote: »
    be interesting to see how you do in Germany
    Thanks man, hopefully the jump to FIFA 13 will be as fun as it's been FIFA 12 until now!

Meanwhile, the pre-season hasn't gone exactly as I thought it would... Mixed results in the first four matches:

kSYjeeC.png
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    Well all I can say is I am excited with the change, Germany will be a massive step up and a big challenge, mixed pre-season indeed but as long as there were no injuries you are fine
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Now that Keller's in Gladbach, I'm sure Sigi's glad to have him back. :o Neagle's move to DC United seemed inevitable somehow. ;) Looking forward to seeing Keller's contribution in Germany.
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    Neagle's move to DC United seemed inevitable somehow. ;)
    Yeah, looking at the big picture... When DC United came up with the offer, I thought "this is exactly what I needed"... Yeah, you see where I'm heading with the transfers (see Frei, Mears, Marshall)...

Ashy wrote: »
    mixed pre-season indeed but as long as there were no injuries you are fine
    Thanks man! The only thing is that we lack a little depth at the back... Or, dare I say, we lacked a little depth until today, as there's been our first signing:
    iJ9zNHN.png

• Greenman019
    Ok pre-season. Not a bad signing either. He's at Cardiff now right? Think he'll be good cover for injuries to your starting centre-backs.
  • ale85bg
    He's at Cardiff now right? Think he'll be good cover for injuries to your starting centre-backs.
    Yeah, I believe he's at Cardiff. To be honest, I bought him to be a starter (yes, we're that poor). And to be even more honest, I would've killed him when he let Derdiyok alone for the 1-0 in our first Bundesliga match...

wNM8wsp.png

Luckily enough we had an easy match after that, an almost certain wi...OH WAIT.

03RSr7H.png
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Love the new match detail format by the way. Couple of draws to start is not bad, although it sounds like the second match was two points lost. Don't know a lot of these players, but it's good to be exposed to names and broaden my horizon.
  • ale85bg
    Thanks! Well, I knew some of them but many were unknown also for me... And don't worry, other defeats are likely to come seeing our UCL group draw...
    b9J0boU.png
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Oh what a brutal draw in the Champions League :s
  • ale85bg
    Oh what a brutal draw in the Champions League :s
    Yeah, and the bad thing is that both Real and Juventus are super-in-form right now... :cry:

Meanwhile, the end of August means... Transfer deadline day!

kQ4fOoM.png
  • ale85bg
    Dear journal,

September has come and gone and it looks like we're in trouble already. Big trouble if you ask me.
    While Ter Stegen is doing wonders, and so are doing Stranzl and Ecuele-Manga, upfront we struggle a lot. De Jong hasn't scored a single goal yet, de Camargo is nowhere to be seen (well, he did score once actually, but this is not what you'd expect from a striker), Xhaka is non-existant... Notable exceptions are Arango and Herrmann on the flanks, but they can't do much all by themselves unfortunately.

So, dear journal, we haven't won a single match this month:

0OlMDFA.png

NHsyCSZ.png

O8FpkZJ.png

uUUlLv2.png

mNMxPej.png

And should this situation not be enough, Sigi broke his hand during the match against Juve as he punched the bench after de Camargo missed a sitter, and he's now wandering around the castle with a huge cast on his right hand.
    You could only imagine what this means to me dear journal... I feel like I've turned into a nurse!
    He managed to come on the bench for the game against Dortmund, but he'll likely have to undergo surgery if the fracture doesn't heal as expected.
    This means that I could be called to manage the team if this happens... And, as of now, it's a worrying thing: we're performing poorly, I already foresee some newspapers trying to put the blame on me if I don't turn things around. You know how the press works, don't you?
  • subpop
    616 posts Sunday League Hero
    Wow... I'm catching up with the story. Gladbach is a very nice club with history. The results aren't what you could expect. Time to deal with pressure... what's your plan to change things?