Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Ashy
    7397 posts Big Money Move
    Some legendary saves there, 0:22 will go down as one of the best I think! Great update pal
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    Some legendary saves there, 0:22 will go down as one of the best I think! Great update pal
    Thanks man, glad you liked the video! Indeed that save is my favourite, along with the double save against Colorado (from 0:51). FIFA 11 was for me the game where the ball looked and felt more "free", thus allowing for better looking saves than the ones in FIFA 10 (which for PC was an old-gen game with hybrid graphics) or FIFA 12. :)
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Great little video package man. That double save was probably my favorite B)
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    Great little video package man. That double save was probably my favorite B)
    Thanks man! :)
    I don't have the time to do regular video updates anymore but it's good to see little videos like this are still appreciated!

uLvcWuR.png

"If you're goiiiinnnnn' To Kansas Cityyyy...."
    Freddie's pretty happy tonight after stepping off the plane that brought him and Adrian Hanauer back from Kansas City, where they attended the SuperDraft.
    Still, I don't know if Scott McKenzie would be OK with his song being treated that way: in fact, Freddie can hardly sing. And apparently Lauren, who joined me at the airport to pick the duo up, decides to make it clear by openly mocking him:
    "Stop it Freddie, Scott McKenzie is going to find you and kill you if you keep singing his song so outrageoulsy out of tune like that!"

"Scott Mc who? Wasn't this song by the Global Deejays?"
    I stare at Lauren with what was meant to be a look of disapproval toward Freddie, but Lauren doesn't look surprised at all:
    "Kasey, didn't you know Freddie's still convinced that 'Moonlight Shadow' is a song by Groove Coverage?"

I'll have to teach Freddie some basics about the history of music. The Slipknot discography, for example.
    But not now, we just have the time for a quick dinner in a bistro near the airport, and then it will be time to head back home.
    Most likely without Freddie, if he doesn't stop singing.

"It's a shame we couldn't sign that Kirk Sanders guy, isn't it? He looks like he's gonna become a great striker".
    It's Adrian talking, while chewing some spaghetti.

"Yeah", answers Freddie, "too bad he went to LA. I can't get my head around why no-one had picked him before. I would have, but we decided to go for a centre back first, you know Columbus aren't going to sell us Marshall".
    He then turns to me: By the way, how do the new signings look to you, Kasey? You're used to live shoulder by shoulder with centre backs, we're all eager to know what you think of them".

They indeed came up with two 17 years old centre backs: John Stinson who has an OVR of 61, and Joseph Jakovic who has an OVR of 56. This thing that the SuperDraft is now also open to players coming from high schools isn't bad at all.

"Well, Stinson is going to be a great addition" I say. "He's only 17 but he has a very bright future ahead of him. And that Jakovic guy looks promising too. Maybe if we loaned him out for a season or two... But why didn't you sign me a keeper? We only have Terry and Stefan!"

It's Hanauer answering: "Well, it's a choice of mine: I thought that this Nakajima guy we have in the academy... Maybe..."

Lauren stares at him with disbelief: "Adrian, he's fourteen! How do you think we could play him? Not everyone is Freddy Adu you know!"

Whoops.

• Greenman019
    2364 posts Fans' Favourite
    Is that a nod to @Virtual_K about Sanders? ^^

Nice read. I know you said he turned down a contract but why would they only rely on 2 keepers. Maybe KK will need to step in :o

• Ashy
    Haha love what you did with Sanders there, Stinson will probably become a great player can just tell! Also if one of the keepers go down maybe you could step in as back-up if needed, might not happen though
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Loved the video tribute! Keller deserved a good sendoff. Appreciate the nod to Sanders, he's been feeling a little down about the way the Galaxy fell to Colorado in the conference semifinals. Nice aggregate win over Dallas btw...wait, am I confusing worlds again? :p
  • ale85bg
    Maybe KK will need to step in :o
    might not happen though
    Unfortunately Ashy is right... Keller isn't in my squad anymore, no way I could select him for a match.
    Well... Let's hope Terry Boss doesn't injure himself too hard when (not 'if') he does. :grimace:
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Appreciate the nod to Sanders, he's been feeling a little down about the way the Galaxy fell to Colorado in the conference semifinals.
    Don't worry, hopefully the Sounders will do you justice. :smirk:
    Also glad you liked the nod to Sanders. I wish I had added him to the LA roster at the beginning of the career! :joy:

Meanwhile, after the SuperDraft, it's time to see how the transfer market is going: not many big transfers here, but surely some interesting ones (Schürrle to Málaga for example)...

IbAOQxm.png
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Schurrle to Malaga!? What!
  • Ashy
    Malaga had big spending power a few years back but it all went down hill, I guess this was around that time and Schurrle had a lot of hype around him too!
  • Greenman019
    That's a big signing for Malaga for sure. :o
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    Schurrle to Malaga!? What!
    You ain't seen nothing yet! :flushed:

That's a big signing for Malaga for sure. :o
    Malaga had big spending power a few years back but it all went down hill, I guess this was around that time and Schurrle had a lot of hype around him too!
    Ashy got the point here: Malaga had a ton of money in that period, and Schurrle wasn't a superstar yet... He was a good (very good indeed) player with a bright future ahead of him.

Dear journal,

there are things too confidential to be written on a blog that's read by hundreds of people everyday.
    One of these is the state of mind I was in today, a mixture of anxiety and concern...

We had just sold Levesque upon request (he's looking for more playing time elsewhere so be it) and I called Freddie pretty worried. Luckily enough, his answer surprised me: "Don't worry Kasey, I have it already covered". And boy, he was right:

r9xyZ5X.png

Denni Avdić is expected to arrive in Seattle tomorrow to attend the medical tests and to join the team in a couple of days' time.
    And on top of that, Lauren managed to convince Tyrone Mears to join us as the starting right back...

Now I really feel SO excited to see the new season start... Cannot wait any longer!
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    iLroWpA.png
    We can work it out... Sure we can!

"Think of what I'm saying, we can work it out and get it straight... Or say good night".
    These are Freddie's first words in the press room after our first 2012 match ended with a totally unexpected defeat against Rangers FC.
    And if you think you've already heard them somewhere, you're probably right. Ever heard about the Beatles? I've been told they used to be pretty good back then, even if it's not really my genre: you know there's only heavy metal for me.

We didn't play that bad honestly, on the contrary we really created many chances: too bad Denni missed two sitters, otherwise the match would've surely gone differently. Still the 3-0 result sounds pretty much like a sentence.

And to add insult to injury, two of the three goals have been scored by two Americans: Bedoya opened the scoreline with a long ranger that bounced just in front of Stefan Frei, who got deceived by the ball's trajectory and couldn't deflect the ball out for a corner.
    The third goal has been scored by Bocanegra with a great header from a corner.
    In the meantime, Juan Manuel Ortiz managed to score a wonder goal from just outside the box for the provisional 2-0, going crazy straight after.
    He ran to the few Rangers fans, and he almost tried to dive among them, bringing Naismith with him in the process:
    l5w6z43.png
    Still, it's been a good match despite the result: seeing it from the Eastside group with my family has been totally different from living it on the pitch, but I'm really convinced that one could 'live' the match from the stands too... And that's what I'm going to do this season! :smiley:

Hopefully, the next match will be more enjoyable in terms of result at least! :joy:
  • Ashy
    Back when Torres and Pato were amazing! Not heard of this Swedish forward but I hope he does a job for you, quite a few players leaving it seems, I feel your excitement!

What an awful result there, especially with two Americans scoring, Oh well it's only pre-season after all
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Just a friendly but 3-0 leads me to believe that the Sounders have much to work out. The fake Freddie has some big shoes to fill, so he better start filling him. Expect the Sounders to be in contention this year. -@LAGFANTurnedGreen #MLSCuporBust!
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    Not heard of this Swedish forward but I hope he does a job for you
    Ahem... Zero goals in three matches so far... Needing a little improvement here! :joy:

the Sounders to be in contention this year. -@LAGFANTurnedGreen #MLSCuporBust!
    Well, these are the expectations of the board too, so... I guess we don't have much choice unfortunately! :p

• ale85bg
    mMOqbMi.png
  • Greenman019
    Think you'll be fine when the season starts. Pre-season isn't really important and you've faced some good teams there like Milan and Rangers.
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Lots of crazy transfers. Team certainly needs to find an identity soon. Have they been playing with formations in the preseason?
  • ale85bg
    Think you'll be fine when the season starts.
    Thanks! Hopefully it's so... :smiley:

Have they been playing with formations in the preseason?
    A bit, to no avail apparently. Guess we'll revert back to the 4-4-1-1 formation Sigi used (which, according to Wikipedia, was also the one used by Wenger's invincibles so it would also make sense for Freddie).

iLroWpA.png
    ...Or "the Cyan blog", more likely...

I'm honest, I've seriously thought about changing this blog's name after seeing our new cyan away kit. What a beauty! The only downside is that I already see it being exploited by armies of sweaty players in FUT but hey, I don't play FUT so it's alright.
    And it looks like I'm not the only one liking it: earlier this week, after trying it on for the first time, all the boys were very happy about it. Especially Rosales who ran to me yelling ¡Kasey! ¡Kasey! ¡Mira la nueva camiseta! ¡Que linda!

No wonder they insisted to use it for our last pre-season friendly against Anderlecht. After all the Community Shield is a special occasion, why not celebrate it with a special kit?

And it looks like the new kit also brought us luck. After a difficult first half in which the Belgian side managed to show their superior technique, we began controlling the match at the beginning of the second half.
    Neagle, especially, was a pain in the side of their defence, to the extent that in many occasions they were forced to not only double him, but to put three men around him
    You know, with only two men he would slip away too easily, like he did during minute 55:
    w9b72F0.png
    Don't ask me why Freddie brought him on for Pappa on the left, but it's been the right move.
    Neagle got past his two opponents, crossed a long ball to the spot where Denni Avdić chested it down and passed it out of the box to Alonso...
    LUvwu42.png
    And Osvaldo's shot went in the back of the net near the bottom corner! For the first time in this pre-season, we got ahead!

Too bad Mbokani decided to equalize shortly before the final whistle, so we had to go to extra time. And that's when Denni Avdić unleashed his power: the 2-1 goal at minute 96 was a brilliant header from a cross by Rosales, and the 3-1 goal was a solitary run from the halfway line in the dying seconds when all of them were packing our box.

There's no doubt, this new kit is not only great to look at, it also brings us luck.
    We won the Shield again... Long live the cyan kit!
  • Ashy
    That Cyan kit would hurt my eyes if I played against it, it's so bright! :D Good job on winning the final and getting the shield!
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Nice confidence boost before the start of the season. If the cyan kit is truly good luck, then the players may not want to wash their jerseys between matches; the stink might open some space for the strikers. :p
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    That Cyan kit would hurt my eyes if I played against it, it's so bright! :D Good job on winning the final and getting the shield!
    Thanks! :)
    Well, I don't know why but I truly like it... I might aswell use it from time to time (after all I've spent almost an entirea fternoon importing the FIFA 13 kits so I'll make sure I get to use them)... :joy:

the stink might open some space for the strikers. :p
    Oh, don't worry: apparently we stink already. :neutral:

AHA5Khl.png
    Well... It looks like I was right in the end!

Do you remember when I told you that Stefan wouldn't make you miss me? Well, after seeing our first MLS match of the season I can say without a doubt that I was right.

Despite the pouring rain, in a completely packed CenturyLink Field (yeah, they managed to change the name of the stadium three days before the opening match... It looks like Qwest got bought last week) we took on Philadelphia Union for our first MLS match.

Unlike the pre-season friendlies, Freddie decided to go for a 4-1-4-1 with Alonso in front of the defence and Denni Avdić alone upfront. Actually it almost looked like working: during the first half, we managed to keep Mondragón busy thanks to a couple of shots by Avdić and a couple by Evans, one of which forced Philadelphia's experienced (to not say 'old') keeper to perform a brilliant save:
    xKFF0p8.png
    I mean, if he's still playing and performing so good, why did I decide to retire? Not that the life in the Eastside Group is that bad, I've met a lot of great people in here and I'm a hero for many of them, but I miss being there on the pitch.

Still, also Stefan Frei was really living up to the expectations. In the first half he performed two important saves and it was again him at the beginning of the second half to perform a crucial save, just fractions of a second before Ching could knock the ball home with a slider, he literally took it away from the forward's feet:
    NJrd1dD.png
    From there on, we outplayed them. The only problem was that the ball wouldn't want to go in: their goal looked like cursed, and during minute 60 Denni Avdić fired a shot which hit the bar, bounced off the post and then went astray (no, really, you HAVE to see it).
    Screw you, bloody Tango ball... It's the first match you get used in, and I hate you already!

Freddie switched to his traditional 4-4-1-1 bringing out Evans for Montero, to no avail: for the remainder of the match we weren't able to score, neither were our opponents. Our first MLS match of the new season ended 0-0.

Time to bring out our brand new cyan kit apparently.

• JamieC
    530 posts Sunday League Hero
    If the A.I took that shot, it would have gone in. How unlucky do you have to be? :joy:
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    That bar and ball were super slick. Lol
  • ale85bg
    That bar and ball were super slick. Lol
    Sure they were, yet it's been a great moment. I mean, also in real life you have those matches in which you feel pretty unlucky and you feel nothing goes your way... This has been one of those!

JamieC wrote: »
    If the A.I took that shot, it would have gone in.
    I'm not sure about it. Playing with full manual controls means that errors like this should be taken into account, I miss some absolute sitters... But I've also seen the AI do so.
    Probably it's down to the slider set I'm using, it looks like it makes the experience pretty balanced (I mean, the CPU misses its fair amount of chances and also misplaces passes or overhits them and hoofs the ball out for a throw when under pressure).

• ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    AHA5Khl.png
    What's up with keepers nowadays?

Flashback to two days ago, Sea-Tac airport.
    We're in the main lounge waiting for boarding to begin for our flight to Washington, and I'm having a coffee with Lauren and Freddie while we wait. It's too long and has little to no flavour, but what can we do?
    Freddie is explaining to Lauren how he would like us to play for the next match against DC United: "so we really need to stay tight at the back, they scored four past us last time we went there, am I right? I expect Pat and Jhonny not to concede a single inch to them. Not a single one!"

Fast forward to two hours ago: we're in the locker room, Freddie repeats the very same speech to the guys. He then adds a couple of directions, addressing Pat Ianni and Jhonny Hurtado directly. Then, it's time to go out.
    I leave the locker room with the rest of the team, and proceed to my seat in the tribune. No wife and no kids, tonight: just a beer, a bag of popped corn and, hopefully, a good display of football (or soccer, like I should be supposed to call it here in the US).

They hit the ground running. Boy, they really do. In the first quarter of an hour it's them to shoot three times towards our goal, with Frei doing his duty flawlessly.
    Then, Alonso drops back in front of the defence, with Fredy Montero taking his place in the midfield. 4-1-4-1 again. It looks like working, luckily. Alonso is on almost every ball and they slowly lose their attacking force.
    And when Alonso, for once, doesn't reach the ball, there's Jhonny Hurtado to the rescue:
    ZgmTygd.png
    On the other front, Denni Avdić looks on fire. He can't always break free from the marking, but when he does he's a constant danger to Hamid. Still he cannot score. A couple of his shots sail wide, one gets saved by Hamid, another bounced away by a defender... He really has little to no luck.

During the half time break I see Fucito step up from the bench and start warming up. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
    Needless to say, the second half starts with the dreaded substitution: Avdić out, Fucito in. I can easily hear and see the relief of the home fans. With Fucito all alone upfront, Freddie decides to revert to the 4-4-1-1 with Montero regaining his CF position.
    This helps, and it's Montero indeed who plays a sweet ball to Fucito who finds himself all alone in front of Hamid during the stoppage time:
    QDVMEyo.png
    His shot is powerful, but also not accurate enough. Hamid bounces away yet another danger, and the match ends shortly after. Another 0-0 draw.

I mean, Hamid saved every single shot towards his goal. He made countless saves tonight, so did Frei during the first half.
    What's up with keepers nowadays? They all look superhuman to me.
  • Greenman019
    Nice, steady start. Seems like Frei is doing fine.

That shot from the game before, crossbar to post and out is insane, lol.

• Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Oh, don't worry: apparently we stink already. :neutral:
    Ha! Nice!
    0-0 is a rather listless start, but it's a point and a clean sheet for Frei. What's his season objective btw?

• ale85bg
    Nice, steady start. Seems like Frei is doing fine.
    What's his season objective btw?
    I don't know, rumour has it he told to Freddie "It doesn't matter how hard it is to get in the MLS All-Stars, I'll be there".