Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2016
    Oh man what a horrid result, so I take it there is a second leg, need a massive performance there man, Keller to score two headers from corners!
  • Dean
    809 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Well this would be a sour note to bow out on, hopefully there's a fairytale ending!
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    Oh man what a horrid result
    Well, yes, there's no different way to put it unfortunately.

Dean wrote: »
    hopefully there's a fairytale ending!
    Well, there will surely be one... But I fear it won0t be for us. :D

Virtual_K wrote: »
    Three away goals is a tough hurdle to jump, but a 3-0 win at Rio Tinto (or whatever it's called in 2011) is not impossible. We believe! :)
    Well, it didn't happen! Or, to be accurate, we did score three past Rimando, but we also conceded too many unfortunately.

5wIVKKZ.png

"It's in! It's in! We're gonna make it KK, I know we're gonna make it!"
    You should see Sigi now. He's completely out of himself: jumping, screaming, shouting to the guys to keep pushing on the throttle. Friberg has just scored the 2-0 goal, or at least this is what the scoreboard says. Actually his volley got deflected past Rimando by Olave, but who cares. If we sum this to the 1-0 goal scored by Estrada at minute 10, it only means one thing: everything is open again now.

Still, Sigi isn't really comfortable as Le Toux is once again playing a wonderful match.
    "Pat! Pat! Don't give Le Toux so much space! Tackle him, for f!*k's sake! What are you waiting for, a written request?"
    Needless to say, Le Toux is already way past Ianni who tries to tackle him to no avail. Le Toux shoots, but it's Frei to save the result:
    ejITn5q.png
    It's only a corner. Unfortunately, though, they don't seem to settle for the 2-0 and shortly before half time Espindola is the quickest to reach a ball crossed in from another corner, and to head it home for the 2-1. This shouldn't have happened, suddenly things start to look difficult again.

The second half opens with a shock for us: Wahl crushes Russell to the ground, it's a penalty.
    zgWZBYB.png
    Frei and our captain Alonso rush to the referee to complain, but the decision has been made (and it looked like a stonewall penalty from the bench).
    Le Toux on the ball, another perfect penalty. Stefan guesses the right direction, but the shot is just too powerful and too accurate to be deflected, let alone stopped:
    dZLt2Hy.png
    It's 2-2, everything has to be done again from scratch. And that's what we do.
    Minute 76, also Fucito finds the back of the net with a powerful low shot, we're ahead again!

"All we need is one more goal KK, one goal! Just one!"
    Sigi is believing once again, and rightly so. The chance we were waiting for comes at minute 84, when a wonderful cross by Neagle finds Estrada's right foot. The volley is already past Rimando and we're already rejoicing, when we hear the sound of the post being hit:
    eqGAS57.png
    There goes our hope, unfortunately. And to add insult to injury, Espindola scores the 3-3 goal in the stoppage time.

After the match, Seb Le Toux comes saluting me and Sigi. He hugs me, and he says "Sorry guys, I have great memories of my years at the Sounders, but I had to do so. Tough luck, if that Estrada shot had gone in..."
    We know. We've been playing a great match today in Salt Lake City. We might be going out of the playoffs, but we do so with our heads up.
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    I don't know how absorbed you get when you play these matches, but after reading that the Sounders were up 2-0 and then letting it slip was a little depressing (a feeling I had when I lost the penalty shootout to DC United). I'm not sure what your plans are for another season, but it would be nice to see if Sigi can guide the Sounders to their first MLS title since the real one won't get that chance. :)
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Tough loss in your last match at Qwest Field but it's been a great career. And it looks like the fans gave you a great farewell. Bad luck on the loss in the playoffs but at 3-3 it sounds like it was a hell of a game. Interesting to see the new direction for Keller. By the way great telling of the story, well done :)
  • Greenman019
    2355 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited November 2016
    Good send off from the crowd. Not sure who you'll be following in terms of Sigi or maybe KK's coaching career. Either way will be good.

And I agree with Bistro, love the match reports.
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    I don't know how absorbed you get when you play these matches
    Usually, a lot. There's a friend of mine that uses to record footage of matches when we play FIFA tournaments, both capturing the screen and filming the couch... You can't imagine how great (and embarassing) some of the matches can become! :joy:

BistroXII wrote: »
    And it looks like the fans gave you a great farewell
    Oh, that's for sure. May I spam the song the quote has been taken from?

Not sure who you'll be following in terms of Sigi or maybe KK's coaching career.
    I'll be following Keller... But I still have to decide where or how. :p

By the way great telling of the story, well done :)
    And I agree with Bistro, love the match reports.
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

but it would be nice to see if Sigi can guide the Sounders to their first MLS title since the real one won't get that chance. :)
    Unfortunately, it looks like also this Sigi is leaving the Sounders.

iV2nssv.png
  • Ashy
    Interesting developments, shame to see Sigi leave, hopefully they find the right man to replace him, Keller would be a bit risky if he were to become manager but maybe assistant coach or just a team coach would be cool who knows, big changes happen at Seattle
  • Dean
    809 posts An Exciting Prospect
    7ae0c2de3b8cb7845b10ff119cf79372.png

Sometimes words aren't enough.
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Big news about Sigi leaving and a bit sad but he had a good run. Speculation about Bora Milutinovic :) great World Cup coaching record. Interesting to see who gets the job anyway.
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Shame Kasey couldn't have had a better send off but oh well, whats the bookies odds that he returns to manage Seattle now?
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Brutal end to KKs career, but they can't all be fairy tale endings. Huge news about Sigi. Does he take Kasey with him as an assistant???
  • ale85bg
    edited November 2016
    Interesting developments, shame to see Sigi leave, hopefully they find the right man to replace him
    Interesting to see who gets the job anyway.
    Rumour has it that the right man is already doing the paperwork... Stay tuned! ;)

Dean wrote: »
    Sometimes words aren't enough.
    Ahahah nice pic! :joy:
    Also a trollface would have worked though... I really felt trolled when I saw the ball hit the post, dance in front of the goal line and then bounce away like nothing had happened.
    MFW > MYAwbKo.png

Chris wrote: »
    Shame Kasey couldn't have had a better send off but oh well, whats the bookies odds that he returns to manage Seattle now?
    Odds are not much in his favour, but still...

Brutal end to KKs career, but they can't all be fairy tale endings.
    Oh, that's for sure. If I recall correctly it ended like that for Seattle also in real life (3-0 defeat in Salt Lake, they won 2-0 in Seattle but it wasn't enough) so it makes it a little more acceptable probably.

Meanwhile, playoffs went on... And we finally have a winrar... Not that we had any doubt. @LaMertesackerRun, be proud of "your" team! :)
    Sorry @Virtual_K, couldn't do anything about it. :(

QxW5ZtM.png
  • Ashy
    God I miss Beckham on the pitch, Real Salt Lake look like a real good side, great season for them
  • ale85bg
    God I miss Beckham on the pitch
    So do I! I've been lucky enough to see him play for my team (even if he only was on loan, and for two very short stints), but boy how good he used to be...
    About RSL, they are a very good team (as they actually were in 2011). On top of that, they also bought Le Toux from Philadelphia in this career, with him having most likely his best season ever.
    He's been absolutely unstoppable in the playoffs: neither Ianni, nor Parke, not even Hurtado could prevent him from doing whatever he liked.
  • ale85bg
    dCZpyxD.png
  • Greenman019
    Well at least KK stays. Good choice of head coach as well.
  • Ashy
    Ohhh did not see that one coming, loving the Arsenal legend taking the head coach role, and Lauren is joining him and Kasey as GK coach, massive changes happening, Freddie will do a good job I'm sure of it
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    NY winning the MLS Cup over LA? That's bull****!, literally. :D Oh well, I have a feeling the Galaxy will win it in 2017. ;)
    I think Freddie is a nice replacement for Sigi, and Keller as GK coach is good way for him to get his feet wet. As far as Riley leaving, well, adios muchacho and don't the let the door hit you in the...
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Nice little twist. Fully expected you to move on honestly. Looking forward to this though. It's certainly made me more interested in MLS soccer ;)
  • ale85bg
    Good choice of head coach as well.
    Freddie will do a good job I'm sure of it
    I think Freddie is a nice replacement for Sigi, and Keller as GK coach is good way for him to get his feet wet.
    Yeah, that's the right spirit! ;)
    I also hope he'll do well... Let's see!

Nice little twist. Fully expected you to move on honestly.
    I thought of it, but... KK needs a little experience before managing his own team! :p

Meanwhile, the MLS All Stars roster has been chosen and... There's no Seattle player in it :(

6KpmYBm.png

• JamieC
    528 posts Sunday League Hero
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Good choice of head coach as well.
    Freddie will do a good job I'm sure of it
    I think Freddie is a nice replacement for Sigi, and Keller as GK coach is good way for him to get his feet wet.
    Yeah, that's the right spirit! ;)
    I also hope he'll do well... Let's see!

Nice little twist. Fully expected you to move on honestly.
    I thought of it, but... KK needs a little experience before managing his own team! :p

Meanwhile, the MLS All Stars roster has been chosen and... There's no Seattle player in it :(

6KpmYBm.png

Corruption clearly in the MLS :p
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Nice to see that Juninho made the All-Star roster. Beckham's up there in years, but surprised Donovan didn't make the list. No Sounders at all, :'( .
  • Ashy
    Nice update of the MLS all star team, really sad nobody from Seattle made it but did anyone deserve it really? :|
  • ale85bg
    iLroWpA.png
    It's not a good feeling at all when you realize it's over.
    My life is about to change big time, and now that also my last match ever as the Sounders keeper has ended, I feel like a part of me has been torn away forever.
    We've just defeated Millwall in a friendly, in what was meant to be a retirement party for me.
    I can't believe that all this people were here for me. My teammates, Millwall, all the fans which packed the Qwest Field just to see me play one last time... You made me cry guys, really.
    I'll always carry with me the roar of the crowd when Rosales scored the only goal of the match:
    W7LprfC.png
    Yeah, as useless as it sounds, I'm going out with a clean sheet. But don't worry, I've played with Stefan for several months and I can totally reassure you: he won't make you miss me.

And after all I'll still be around: being a GK coach in Freddie's staff is great, working side-by-side with two of the Arsenal Invincibles is not as great though. As a former Spurs player, I don't really think I like the idea. :unamused:
    Still, when Freddie ased me to work with Stefan to help his development, I couldn't say no. Stefan is such a great lad. We really purchades the right guy to replace me between the sticks.
    And then Freddie: he's a great guy, I can't wait to work with him. Surely a great way to get involved in coaching.

I have no regret, I've had a great career and I'm proud and grateful for every moment. I've been at many a World Cup, I've traveled the world and I've met wonderful people all along.
    Well, I would've liked to be in this year's MLS All-Star team but let's face it: Frankie Rost recorded 19 clean sheets this season. Nineteen. 'nuff said.

JamieC wrote: »
    Corruption clearly in the MLS :p
    Beckham's up there in years, but surprised Donovan didn't make the list. No Sounders at all, :'( .
    really sad nobody from Seattle made it but did anyone deserve it really? :|
    Yeah, the list isn't what I expected, but it's fair. Rost isn't replaceable by any means, and the Red Bulls have surely been the best team this year. Lindpere has been immense, so has been Rodgers.
    Probably Alonso or Rosales could've been in the All-Stars, they deserved it more than I did, but Martina had the perfect season and also the other midfleiders fully deserve the call-up.
    And I can swear there will be Sounders' players in the All-Stars next year, mark my words.
    Cheers,
    Kasey

• Greenman019
    Funny how you go out with a CS when it doesn't really matter :V

Nice retirement little blog story/post by the way.
  • Ashy
    Good update, nice to see Kasey praise the new keeper, classy guy
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Nice way for Keller to end his player career. We'll see how coaching goes for him.
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Great send off for KK. Eager to see how the story progresses from here.
  • ale85bg
    iLroWpA.png
    Christmas time in Seattle

It's almost Christmas and things are going great here in Seattle.
    After almoist a month of work with Freddie and Lauren, I made up my mind: they might have made the huge mistake of playing for Arsenal when they were young, but I forgive them. It's Christmas time after all, everyone should try to be good at Christmas.

I've met many fans while shopping or just strolling downtown with my beautiful dog, and all of them have been great to me. Many also like this blog and that's great. :)
    Nice retirement little blog story/post by the way.
    Good update, nice to see Kasey praise the new keeper, classy guy

It's also good to see fans supporting me for my new role at the Sounders:
    We'll see how coaching goes for him.
    Eager to see how the story progresses from here.
    I've collected a lot of experience in my playing years, and passing a little bit of it on to Terry and to Stefan is really making me happy. It's like seeing a little part of myself going out on the pitch with them, and I'm sure they'll make me proud.

And then there was this guy from the ECS, a guy that I befriended over time as he never missed a match at home and followed us on the road several times too that gave me a DVD last night at Freddie's wine bar when I was there with my ol' friend Sigi.
    I know I should've waited until Christmas to open it but I was just too curious...

It's a gift from the ECS. It's a little video they made with some footage of my years in Seattle... It's touching, I really appreciate this little gift. I will never be able to thank you enough my friends... :)
    Now off to the kitchen I go... Time to help Kris cook our beautiful family a good Christmas eve dinner.

Merry Christmas to you all!
    Cheers,
    Kasey