Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    Interesting developments, Stefan Frei keep you on your toes now B)
  • Greenman019
    2355 posts Fans' Favourite
    Competition :o
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Wow, I think the Red Bulls are going for a record, pretty much a lock for the Supporters' Shield. Frei's a good signing, and he can learn a lot from Keller.
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice transfer update, Stefan Frei looks like a good signing, only occasionally watch MLS so didn't know him but I looked him up on YouTube and he looks like a decent keeper. Important time of the season coming up with some must win games.
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2016
    Ashy wrote: »
    Interesting developments, Stefan Frei keep you on your toes now B)
    Competition :o
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Frei's a good signing, and he can learn a lot from Keller.
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Nice transfer update, Stefan Frei looks like a good signing.
    Indeed he's a good keeper that could learn a lot from an experienced (but on his way to retirement for obvious reasons of age) Kasey Keller.
    Honestly, though, I must admit he's not the only one I've been after.
    I also tried to sign Troy Perkins: the Timbers told me "OK, go ahead and discuss a contract with him" straight away, but he stubbornly refused each and every contract offer we made because he didn't really feel like "joining the Timbers' bitter rivals". Good guy Perkins. :joy:

Also, I've been told "no" by Bolton for Tyrone Mears (I already had an offer for Riley, so I thought I would buy Mears to replace him... But in the end I kept Riley), by the Columbus Crew for Chad Marshall and by Huddersfield for Liam Cooper.
    It looks like the Sounders aren't that popular... Yet. :sunglasses:
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Oh dear, not Rimando again...NO!"
    I'm not there with Sigi on the bench for this league match against Real Salt Lake, differently from what happened a little less than two weeks ago in the cup, but I know he must be thinking exactly that. And by the way he's throwing himself about I must admit he would make Steve Carell proud at the moment.
    After fifteen minutes of play, Nick Rimando has just performed his third crucial save of the match, this time against a perfect low shot by Rosales:
    OupUHGk.png
    Like it happened in the cup match, Rimando has deliberately been making things difficult for us all along.
    After 5 minutes of play, a header by Montero already caught him ready to deflect the ball out for a corner for his first save. Shortly after, Rimando deflected a rocket by Fucito, who was all alone in the box, almost without effort, and now he's just denied us yet another chance.
    "Damn, this is gonna be tough". It's Ianni talking to me, and he actually looks pretty worried. They don't really seem like being able to score, but they're damn difficult to get past for sure: when it's not Rimando, it's Olave to deflect a shot by Montero.

The first half ends without a goal, and Sigi decides to give us some confidence for what's supposed to happen. "Don't let their defence take wind out of our sails: we're better than them, we've already defeated them, we can do it again... We WILL do it again!"
    He's right, but luckily enough this time he didn't boast with the press about how easy would be for us to win this match.

The second half doesn't really look different: we attack, they defend, but we eventually manage to break through with a tap-in by Montero after Rimando saved yet another point blank effort by Fucito.
    Fredy's celebration is priceless: he runs all the way to the ECS and almost dives amongst them.
    1TkKPDa.png
    Then, once again, it's time to grit our teeth and hold on for the remainder of the match. Luckily enough, we have Ianni who proves impossible to get past.
    Unfortunately, though, Borchers didn't take our goal that well, and tries a useless killer tackle to Montero in the stoppage time.
    The results are varied: a red for the defender, a free kick for us from just outside the box which Fernández wastes against the wall, and Montero being brought out with a stretcher.

At the end of the match my teammates run to me to cheer for another clean sheet (they're currently nine, by the way), but the only thing I can think about is that I'm really worried for Fredy. That tackle was absolutely harsh, reckless, and might aswell have gotten him seriously injured.
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Ashy
    Only one more clean sheet away from that target now, you can do it! That injury sounds brutal though hope it isn't too bad
  • Greenman019
    Just the one left now for the target of 10. Very nearly there.

Shame about the injury, will have to wait and see how bad it is I guess.
  • ale85bg
    That injury sounds brutal though hope it isn't too bad
    Shame about the injury, will have to wait and see how bad it is I guess.
    Thanks guys! Well, wonder no more... :cry:
    jSrwOeb.png

• Dean
    809 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Just had a read through, absolutely love the concept, well written too. :)

Looks like I've arrived on a sour note however, hopefully you can pull through without him!
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    So close to the target of clean sheets :o
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Borchers! Somebody ought to jump him in the tunnel and shave that ugly **** beard! (deep breaths...) Congrats to Keller for another clean sheet, only one to go. Nick Rimando is an awesome keeper. Had he been a little taller I think he would've been more prominent for the USMNT.
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    One more to go! Damn shame about Montero though :s
  • ale85bg
    Dean wrote: »
    Looks like I've arrived on a sour note however, hopefully you can pull through without him!
    Thanks man, much appreciated! :)
    Yeah, it's for sure a sour note but we'll try and make do with what we have (Estrada, I shiver only at the thought...)
    One more to go!
    Chris wrote: »
    So close to the target of clean sheets :o
    Yeah, now the target is 90 minutes away... With a little bit of luck we won't have to wait long. The next match against DC United will maybe not be the case, but we'll face Vancouver then. That will maybe be the right match. :)
    Borchers! Somebody ought to jump him in the tunnel and shave that ugly **** beard!
    Oh, did you mean Marco Pappa perhaps?
    If we ever meet Salt Lake again in the playoffs, it's most likely going to be a harsh match.
    JPAp4uG.png

• Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Calmer heads prevailed. :)
  • Ashy
    Love that little addition with the facebook apology! Some of the replies were funny! :D
  • Dean
    809 posts An Exciting Prospect
    3a07bffd567807eda19dbb10a3e869aa.png

bf9.gif
  • Greenman019

bf9.gif

Lol :D
  • ale85bg
    Calmer heads prevailed. :)
    Yeah, I don't know why but I tend to see Montero as a 'good guy' so I thought he would bury the hatchet and accept the apologies.
    It'll still be interesting to see what will happen if Pappa and Russell meet in the playoffs though. :D

Love that little addition with the facebook apology! Some of the replies were funny! :D
    Thanks! Happy you found some of the replies good. :)

bf9.gif
    bf9.gif
    Greenman is right Dean, that's absolutely hilarious! :lol:

Meanwhile, it's league time again... DC United, here we come!

5wIVKKZ.png

It's a very nice September afternoon here in the Emerald City, an afternoon in which one could go to the ocean, or to the countryside... It's almost a shame to throw it away for a football match. Yet, the Qwest Field is packed as the Sounders are currently taking on the DC United.

Ten minutes into the second half, and what we've seen till now is the cosmic void. Without Montero, we look like we can't create a chance. With Alonso in front of our defence they can't do anything, either.
    Each time I get hold of a ball, even if I receive it from a ball boy and I have to put it down for a goal kick, the chant "Kasey, Kasey Keller" can be heard coming from the ECS, along with the usual chants to Alonso and Rosales. And it's Alonso indeed the one who's playing better than anyone else. Suddenly, he decides that the match needs some action. He eradicates the ball from an opponent in front of our box and sends a long ball to the right for Neagle, who controls it and gets past his opponent for a low cross.
    Fucito makes sure to be found ready, as he deflects the ball home with the tip of his foot just a moment before Hamid could get hold of it. 1-0 to the Sounders!

They try to react, but nothing major. Indeed it's Alonso again who tries a lofted through pass to Fucito, a pass which Kitchen clears in what I could only define a "fancy" way with Fucito smartly staying at some distance:
    H6VIhCY.png
    No worries, it's only a matter of time. And this time it's Alonso who dares to make a run deep in their box to collect a sweet cross from the left and volley it home. Nothing to do for Billy Hamid, this is a "goal of the season" contender that gives us a 2-0 lead.

Their reaction is late and weak, the only danger I face is a shot by Quaranta from just outside the box, against which I'm a little late. I dive, I follow it with my eyes hoping it doesn't go in...
    rO1xeln.png
    And it doesn't. Right side of the post, missed by inches but still missed.

Minutes seem to never go by. It looks to me like we've been playing for hours. I look up at the scoreboard, still 10 to go. 10 minutes, we need to hold on. I owe this to Sigi.
    They win a corner: Ianni seems like understanding my concern, he comes closer and says "No worries man, we have you covered" then proceeds to clear the ball as far as possible.

5 minutes left, and that bloody clock doesn't seem to move. It looks like stuck. It's absolutely never ending.

Stoppage time, still 2-0. It's almost over. It will soon be over. It IS over! The ref blows the final whistle but he can hardly be heard in the roar of the supporters as the entire stadium explodes.
    Once again I hear the "Kasey, Kasey Keller" chant but it's not only coming from the ECS now, it's the whole stadium singing it.
    veUoM5d.png
    It's done! This is my 10th seasonal clean sheet. It's like being on cloud nine, one of the best matches I ever recall.

And now, it's time to push for that third place in the Western Conference.

• Greenman019
    edited October 2016
    Very solid and dominant win by the sound of it.

More importantly, 10 clean sheets!
    Congrats :)
    Post edited by Greenman019 on
  • JamieC
    528 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2016
    10 clean sheets! :smiley:
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Yay! 10 baby! Goal complete! That Facebook exchange was pure gold again! Deans gif summed it up perfectly!
  • ale85bg
    More importantly, 10 clean sheets!
    Congrats :)
    JamieC wrote: »
    10 clean sheets! :smiley:
    Yay! 10 baby! Goal complete!
    Thanks guys! :)

Yeah it's not been easy but it's done. Now the main goal is to finish in the top three: we're already sure to be in the playoffs, but I'd like to avoid the wildcard round. Four matches to go, needing at least 8 points if we want to be sure (depending on how Dallas will do, of course).
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well done on the ten clean sheets! :) you might even get some more and it was a good solid win too.
  • Ashy
    Great win, congrats on 10 clean sheets and amazing for him to hear the crowd chant his name like that!
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    10 Clean Sheets, congrats man!
  • ale85bg
    Great win, congrats on 10 clean sheets and amazing for him to hear the crowd chant his name like that!
    Thanks! Yes when I saw Keller cheering at the fans that way I thought "I must absolutely take a picture of it". :joy:

Chris wrote: »
    10 Clean Sheets, congrats man!
    Thanks pal!

BistroXII wrote: »
    Well done on the ten clean sheets! :) you might even get some more
    Not today, apparently. :unamused:

5wIVKKZ.png

It should've been an easy match. According to Sigi, according to the press, according to the fans, many of which decided to commit themselves and their friends/families to a wonderful 2-hour road trip to Vancouver to see us play... And they're currently seeing Vancouver simply treading on the shadow of what the Sounders used to be recently. 2-0 for them, and it's not even half time.

Things started in the worst possible way, with Alonso receiving a knock and having to leave the pitch visibly limping after ten minutes of play. Evans came in as a replacement, and he straight away prevented Salinas from scoring, with a great tackle deep in our box:
    5BfA25R.png
    He repeated himself shortly after on Chiumiento, but could do nothing at minute 25 when Salinas received a lofted through ball, controlled it and shot me down with a grubber on the far post. 1-0 to the Whitecaps.

All of a sudden, a wild bus appeared and guess what? Vancouver's manager parked it in front of their goal. Attempts by Fucito and Pappa got turned down by Rochat, Cannon saved a point blank shot by Estrada, and Koffie deflected a rocket by Evans with his face.
    Of course, trying to break this 'park the bus' behaviour costed us a lot of energy and meant we could get caught on the counter...
    Minute 42, of course it happens. Chiumiento to Hassli, who plays a good ball to Salinas, who passes it to Camilo right outside the box... Camilo fires the perfect shot: hard, accurate, unreachable.
    o5jNZcQ.png
    2-0 to the Whitecaps, and now I'm here asking myself how did he manage to pull such an insane shot. I'm sure that if he tried this another hundred times, he'd never manage to succeed again.

When in the locker room Sigi tells us not to fret and to stay focused, from his tone of voice I can clearly understand he believes we can still turn this around.

And that's what we try to do in the second half. We focus on defending and try the occasional counter with Neagle and Pappa on the flanks, to no avail. Each and every attack of ours leads to a blind alley. At minute 70 Sigi decides to chance his arm: Friberg out, Levesque in. Estrada coming out for Sanyang. Neagle and Pappa as wingers: 4-2-4 baby!

It obviously doesn't work, should you have any doubt. At least, it doesn't work for us but it works perfectly for Camilo who scores the 3rd for the Whitecaps on the counter. The match ends 3-0 for them, and I must admit it's been deserved. Straight after scoring, their manager masterminded a perfect "stay back and hit on the counter" tactic that surely yielded the results he was looking for.

It's not good to end the month with a defeat, but we must live with that. 3 matches left, now it's almost vital to win at least two of them... While we wait for news from the pitch where FC Dallas are playing their match.
    Hopefully, they're good news.
  • Greenman019
    Bit of an anomaly really, it happens. Just gotta hope you find a good run of form again and recover quickly.

"All of a sudden, a wild bus appeared and guess what? Vancouver's manager parked it in front of their goal."
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Well all right, Keller got his tenth. :) Alonso injured again. Hope it's not serious. Have to get those wins to end the regular season.
  • ale85bg
    Bit of an anomaly really, it happens. Just gotta hope you find a good run of form again and recover quickly.
    Yeah, we've been lacking consistency throughout all the year... Alonso having to leave the pitch also played a huge role in our defeat against Vancouver unfortunately.
    Alonso injured again. Hope it's not serious.
    Nothing major, a bruised something but he should be available for the next match against New England (or, at worst, for the Open Cup final against KC). What got me worried are Rosales and Evans getting slightly injured in training. Hopefully it's nothing major also for them.

i3yeeIy.png

On a different not, it looks like it's me being benched for the next league match... :unamused:
    oaftMmI.png