Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Woooo! Cup win and a clean sheet B)
  • Greenman019
    2355 posts Fans' Favourite
    Brilliant performance and finally a clean sheet. Half way there with half a season to go. Could be tight.
  • JamieC
    528 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yay! Clean Sheet! 5 more to go! You can do it!
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Solid 2-0 win, need to get a streak going
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Woooo! Cup win and a clean sheet B)
    Yeah, this was the perfect match somehow. Apparently though not every match is like this (luckily, I dare to say, as the save would become boring pretty quickly if I always won 3-0).
    JamieC wrote: »
    Yay! Clean Sheet! 5 more to go! You can do it!
    Half way there with half a season to go. Could be tight.
    Yeah, Sigi said it was going to be a challenge... But I believe it still can be done.
    And after all, a challenge must be somehow difficult to clear, otherwise it's better to call it a gentle stroll. ;)
    Chris wrote: »
    need to get a streak going
    Yeah, it often looks like we're about to start a streak, then we always fall short of the expectations after a couple of good matches.
    Consistency is what we should be working on, and Sigi is aware of that. Problem is, being consistent is easier said than done.
    On a different note, June has ended and this means transfer market! :joy:
    With a couple of signings in the right positions, we could hopefully strengthen ourselves enough to compete with LA and NY.

And, seeing that June has ended, it's time for the monthly report again :)

zszGhY4.png

• ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Aaaaand... The transfer market is open, and it looks like Sigi didn't waste any time for his first signing:

uD2z6m1.png

Pappa is set to start from the bench in the upcoming match against LA and to be answering the questions of the press and the fans after the match has ended, so if you have any questions for him feel free to post them! :)
  • Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    Nice to see a new signing! 8 points behind LA so a win is a must really I think you can do it, great result and clean sheet in the last match too, let's see you keep the goals out against the league leaders!
  • Greenman019
    Quite a way off of LA, but still looking pretty comfortable. Pappa seems pretty useful.
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Ashy wrote: »
    Nice to see a new signing! 8 points behind LA so a win is a must really I think you can do it
    Well, they're really strong... Even if they won't have Beckham, Donovan and Magee with also Keane being off colour (he just returned from an injury).
    Pappa seems pretty useful.
    Yeah, I hope so... Let's see how he fared against LA though :D

5wIVKKZ.png

"OK guys, it's not over yet. LA look almost unreachable right now, but we can and will hold on to the second place in the conference!"
    Sigi seems pretty happy with today's performance, even if it was surely less than optimal.
    "And Marco, don't worry. Bad days happen to everyone, you'll have time to get used to the playing style and to the movements you need to do. Now just clear your mind and start over".

Marco Pappa made his debut in the second half, but he's been nowhere near the player who kept us in check during that infamous 2-2 draw in Chicago.

Like it happened in Seattle in March, it was us scoring the opening goal: after a balanced first half and shortly after the half time whistle, it was Rosales who got on a run on the right and then passed the ball to the middle, where Montero was arriving running and unmarked:
    P46lprt.png
    It was like a penalty, but with the ball moving: Fredy managed to keep it low and to drive it past Ricketts along the ground, 1-0 to the Sounders... In Los Angeles!

The second half started in a similar fashion, with Pappa making his debut for a tired Fernánez.
    Evans once again went close to a goal from outside the box, just missing by inches.
    Ianni, on the other front, was completely bossing every ball in the air, even with not so kind means at times:
    4L7GUfH.png
    Too bad he asked for a substitution 15 minutes into the second half, tuckered out.
    So it was Hurtado in for Ianni. And that's where the problems started: Ianni had managed to win every aerial ball, leaving Chad Barrett without any supply. But Hurtado, being slightly shorter than Ianni, couldn't really keep up and Barrett started winning header after header... Until he scored the equalizer, connecting perfectly with a cross by Franklin who had also managed to deride Pappa before crossing.

And the worst was yet to come: shortly after, Franklin managed to find Barret all alone again in the box. Alonso repeatedly and angrily asked for an offside there, also risking to get booked, but the referee decided the goal would stand. 2-1 to the Galaxy:
    klAtWDC.png
    By looking at the footage after the match, I must say the referee made the right decision there: it was Wahl who felt asleep for a couple of seconds and kept Barrett onside.

Almost every team would have crumbed in such a situation, but not the Sounders. We found new energies from that goal, and showed a huge will by pushing forward and looking for the equalizer, which eventually came at minute 85 with Mike Fucito who received a great ball in the box, shielded it from a defender and fired a powerful shot on the far post for the 2-2 which also was the final result.

The eyes of almost every Sounders fan were on Pappa today and he honestly didn't live up to the expectations, but on the other hand we witnessed a great Ianni once again.

And we also managed to snatch a draw against a team that looked almost unstoppable, and that's surely a good result.

• Greenman019
    A draw is a good result in the end. What was his match rating BTW if you have it?
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    A draw at StubHub (or was was it still Home Depot) Center is never a bad thing. Here's hoping the Sounders can catch the Galaxy before the end of the regular season. Oh, who am I kidding? :p

msmNirU.png
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Here's hoping the Sounders can catch the Galaxy before the end of the regular season. Oh, who am I kidding? :p
    Enjoy it while it lasts, see you at the playoffs (well, hopefully... There are two or three teams behind us which are very close and which still have games in hand to surpass us). :joy:
    Anyway, it's still Home Depot here. It will become StubHub in 2013 (provided that I remember about it, a thing which I'm not totally sure about).
    A draw is a good result in the end. What was his match rating BTW if you have it?
    Let's find it out! :D

D9qmihM.png

Carson, CA: It's a tired Pappa the one that joins the post-match press conference, to asnwer the media and the fans' questions. He's the first signing of this summer transfer window for the Sounders, with "a couple of others to come" according to Sigi Schmid. Yet, his debut hasn't really been on par with what he showed us with the Chicago Fire shirt, and that's something that the press is surely going to point out.

"Marco, you've just arrived from Chicago, and Sigi Schmid defined this move a 'huge step forward for Marco's career'. What do you think about it?"
    Honestly? I know there's been a quarrel going on between Sigi and the Chicago fans lately, but I don't really want to get involved in it. I thought that what Sigi said was a bit over the top, but we showed on the pitch that he was wrong and to me it all ended there. I'm a Seattle player now, so it's my duty to show we can defeat any opponent, Chicago included.

"You didn't do so today against LA though".
    Ahem, almost every opponent. There are teams in the MLS, namely LA and NY, which we cannot defeat right now. Reaching them will be a long and difficult task, but I'm not afraid to face such difficulties.

"We know it, you're a very consistent player. Today, though, you didn't look like the player we all know. What happened?"
    Well, I'm still suffering a little from the jet lag: Sigi offered me a day off but I just wanted to be useful straight away so I asked him to bring me on the bench at least.

"And in the end, you entered the pitch for a worn out Fernández at half time..."
    Yeah, he was dead tired when Sigi subbed him off. Having to play half a season without a reasonable backup isn't easy. I don't support Zakuani's decision to be dropped from the squad, although I know he's leaving in this window so the problem will be solved.

"ESPN gave you a rating of 5.30: it's the first time you end below the 6.0 mark this season... Nevertheless a draw against LA is always a good result, isn't it?"
    Surely it is, and I'm happy I've been part of it. Like I said earlier, I was just a little tired and on top of that I'm not used to doing what Sigi asks, yet.
    I've always been known for being a consistent player and that's what I want to deliver.

"How do you see the club in, say, 5 years?"
    I've already got my idea: there are players which cannot be replaced like Evans, Fernández himself, Neagle, Ianni... I believe they'll be the backbone of this team also in the future.

"Did you say Fernández?"
    Oh yes. Sigi told me that he would love me to learn to play as a CAM, so I don't see anything wrong with Fernández being the starting left midfielder also in the future.

"If nobody has other questions, we may declare this press conference over then. Thank you Marco!"
    Thank you all, for this wonderful reception and for already making me feel at home in Seattle, I hope to stay here for a very long time.
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good fighting spirit against Galaxy to get the draw after going a goal down. And the thread got a bit raunchy for a moment there with the post from @Virtual_K :) Nice interview with Pappa as well - didn't know much about him so I Googled him and read about the interesting incident with his ex-girlfriend the former Miss Washington, hello ;)
  • Greenman019
    5.3, harsh ^^
  • Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    Start off well then LA turned it around, good to see you fight back for a draw, a loss there and the title would be out of reach I think
  • ale85bg
    BistroXII wrote: »
    didn't know much about him so I Googled him and read about the interesting incident with his ex-girlfriend the former Miss Washington, hello ;)
    Poor Pappa, didn't know that myself... I'm reading about it right now. :astonished:
    I thought of having him go out for some drinks with Rosales and Alonso, but I don't know if it's the case anymore. :joy:
    5.3, harsh ^^
    Kinda. He'll have time to improve though. :)
    Ashy wrote: »
    Start off well then LA turned it around
    Yeah, when I had to sub Ianni off we started to suffer a lot. Anyway I'm happy with the draw, it could've gone way worse! :)

Back to the transfer news we go: for a player arriving, there's one who couldn't wait to leave... Ladies and gentlemen, Steve Zakuani has finally reached London and will officially be joining QPR for the 2011/12 Premier League for a fee of $ 9M.

EDzhH0S.png

• Greenman019
    Love stuff like that btw. :D

• ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

It's been more than an hour since the match against Portland has ended, and Sigi hasn't released us yet. Instead, he's nervously walking back and forth in the locker room, visibly upset, holding a laptop.
    "I have no words, no words! Do you even realize what you've done? Do you? Or do you want me to show what's going on out there right now?"
    He brings out the laptop and shows us what's happening on Twitter:
    m2tKhU9.png
    sjB0Mt7.png
    vKs1YH5.png
    Yes, unfortunately it's true: we crumbled like we had never done before and allowed the Timbers, our bitter rivals, to simply outplay us. There's no excuse, each and every of us today is responsible: from Riley who got sent off early in the second half, to Fucito who missed yet another clear cut chance to make it 2-2, to me.
    I've let five goals in. Five. It's unconceivable.

We started better than them and Montero managed to hit the bar at minute 20. Easy match, we thought: an easy walk on a gliding path. But at minute 36 we started realizing it wasn't exactly so: Wahl fouled Jewsbury near the touchline, from the subsequent free kick Ianni managed to outjump Perlaza and to clear it but Nagbe was quicker than everyone else to reach the ball and fire it home for the 1-0:
    91XiSAi.png
    The first half ended with this result, but it's in the second half that things really started going downhill. Riley fouled Cooper into the box, with a very bad tackle: red card, penalty, Cooper scored the 2-0.
    KwERr7Y.png
    We didn't give up luckily, and at minute 55 Fucito scored the 2-1 goal wonderfully assisted by Riley who placed a lovely low cross from the right who Mike controlled and slotted past Perkins.
    We didn't even have the time to think about it though, as during minute 61 Cooper scored again with a header to make it 3-1 and Dike scored the 4-1 shortly after.
    Montero was the last of us to surrender, and managed to score the useless 4-2 goal before Cooper won and scored another penalty.

The final result was 5-2, and that's why Sigi has closed us in the lockers like hostages and doesn't look like willing to release us anytime soon.
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Greenman019
    What the heck. How?

Really out of character, the sending off killed you though.
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Going from a draw to a 5-2 loss, jeeeesssssss, what happened?
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Love the Facebook chat, and the picture of Keller, classic. :D
    Then I read about the 5-2 drubbing by Portland, yeow! Could it be time to put down Old Keller?
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Really out of character, the sending off killed you though.
    jeeeesssssss, what happened?
    Poor decision making at its finest I must say.
    When Riley got sent off, I thought "well, let's try and play without the fullback... We need to attack anyway" without thinking that their striker Cooper is easily one of the tallest players I've faced.
    Imagine the result: loads of crosses from the unmarked winger, Cooper outjumping Parke and Ianni almost everytime, success (for them).
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Love the Facebook chat, and the picture of Keller, classic. :D
    Thanks! And no, the Old Keller won't go anywhere until the end of the season at least. :joy:

• ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Yesterday has been one of the worst days of my entire career. Losing so badly, against our bitter rivals no less, has been a nightmare. Sleeping on it 'til morning, though, helped me to see things as they really are: it's been a one-off, a match in which absolutely nothing went right starting from Riley's red card who could and should be avoided.
    This morning's training session also helped me understand that I can still perform good saves, and boosted my confidence ahead of the cup tie against Dallas.

It's half past 5 now and I'm having some relax: a good book and a cup of iced tea are a man's best friends in these hot summer afternoons.

Suddenly the phone starts ringing. As usual, I'll let it ring for a while to listen to my beloved ringtone (and because I've seen it's Sigi, of course) then I pick it up and answer. "Hello?"

"KK, have you seen it already?"

I honestly don't have a clue of what he's talking about, so I tell him.

"Quick, fire up Twitter and have a look at the **** Army's profile, there's something interesting you must read. Oh sorry, I meant Timbers Army".

So I bring my laptop out, I log on to Twitter and I finally see this:
    QnwXBrl.png
    I'm used to this kind of banter, having played in Europe for many years, but this doesn't mean I'm not annoyed. They believe they're funny, but they don't really know who they put themselves up against.

Kasey Keller will be back, be sure about it. And he'll be back in style!
  • milan_7
    329 posts Sunday League Hero
    Love the Facebook chat! :smiley:

Disappointing result in the derby mind.
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Wow hard loss but with 10 men its always hard. I'm surprised KK didn't go for something a bit stronger than iced-tea like a few shots to take the edge off and a couple of beers.
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    I'm way behind again but trying to catch up. Those Facebook convos are pure gold. Lol
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    milan_7 wrote: »
    Love the Facebook chat! :smiley:
    Thanks! :)
    And yes, losing to our bitter rivals, which are currently struggling in the league, has somehow been a disappointment. :(
    BistroXII wrote: »
    I'm surprised KK didn't go for something a bit stronger than iced-tea like a few shots to take the edge off and a couple of beers.
    I recall having read he's not a big drinker... I might try and put him in the same room with Pappa when we play away, maybe he'll have a good influence on the new signing. :lol:
    By the way, talking 'bout Marco Pappa... It's time for the cup match against Dallas!

8aaHoGn.png

"KK? Kasey? You alright?"
    It's Sigi talking to me, while we enter the stadium for this cup tie against Dallas.

"You look... Absent, like you're dead tired. Do you want me to play Terry?"
    Well, how could I explain to him that I haven't slept at all tonight?
    Fucito, who shared the room with me, couldn't sleep so he had the brilliant idea to start listening to some hardcore music from the mid 1990s with his headphones. At a volume so high that I could recognize almost all of the songs.
    After listening to 'Always Hardcore' by Bodylotion for the third time in a row, everyone would completely lose sleep. Yet, as last night hasn't been enough, while we approach the locker room I hear Fucito stil listening to hardcore music. Hardcore army by Neophyte and Stunned guys. Again.
    Why can't he listen to some normal music like, who knows... Slipknot for example? Who doesn't like Slipknot after all?

"Don't you dare, Sigi. I'm playing this match: Imma show those idiots from the Timbers Army what I can do"
    Yes, it's become personal now, and I want to start showing what I've got straight away: today, Dallas will have to pass over my dead body if they want to score.
    And they actually look determined to do so. Minute 15, Fabián Castillo outruns Parke and enters the box from the right: I rush out, deflect his shot, but the ball reaches Chávez in the middle...
    iRTHBgC.png
    Over the bar. He was completely alone and he managed to miss such an easy opportunity, not even Fucito would've missed it.
    The remainder of the first half is a similar pain: they attack, we defend strenuously and try stinging on the counter to no avail. At half time, the score is still 0-0.

The second half starts with inverted roles: we start attacking more, they try and hit on the counter. Minute 65, and Fucito plays a great ball to Alonso. Osvaldo enters the box, gets rid of a defender and unleashes a great, low shot with his right foot that almost kisses the far post and goes in.
    IZRpUY6.png
    Alonso calls all of the Sounders under the away stand where a thousand of fans from the ECS are already raving, to celebrate with them. We're ahead in Dallas!

The match is not over, though: there's still time for a couple of chances on either side, the most dangerous of them being a point-blank attempt by O'Brian White, against which Hartman does a miracle:
    vh4ah4f.png
    The result doesn't change anymore though, and this means that not only we advance once again, but also that we apparently have already thrown that bad match against Portland behind.

Last but not least, as we were talking about Portland... Someone tell those pillocks from the Plonkers Army that the keeper they'd like to see in a retirement home today scored another clean sheet, and that more of them are about to come.
  • ale85bg
    I'm way behind again but trying to catch up. Those Facebook convos are pure gold. Lol
    Don't worry, also the Sounders are way behind (in the league :cry: ). And the good part is that we'll never be able to catch up with LA anymore I guess. :joy:
    Glad you like the social media bits! :)
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Great to see you've put the Portland game behind you, nice clean sheet too
  • ale85bg
    Great to see you've put the Portland game behind you, nice clean sheet too
    Well, apparently they've become two in a row... :D

5wIVKKZ.png

"How is this possible? You haven't played a decent match since I don't know when and now you come up with a hat-trick like this?"
    Sigi is overjoyed today, Mike Fucito just scored a wonderful hat-trick, leading the Sounders to a fantastic 3-0 win.

The reception hasn't been that good honestly: they tried to intimidate us in every possible way straight from the kickoff, managing to injure Alonso yet another time in the process:
    WLxC3I0.png
    Twenty minutes into play and Osvaldo had to leave the pitch with a twisted ankle: three weeks off once again, what a luck... Don't you think? Luckily enough, Friberg who came in for Alonso and Evans did their job perfectly.
    So did Fucito, who scored the 1-0 goal at minute 26 and the 2-0 at minute 43.

To be honest, it's me who didn't really live up to the expectations: at the beginning of the second half I completely missed the timing while rushing out against an opponent and almost cropped him:
    XEXVWg7.png
    Totally not a penalty for the referee. It should've been, honestly. We've been absolutely lucky there.

But the best was yet to come: at minute 55 Rosales went on a run on the right flank, he crossed the ball to the middle where Fucito stopped it with the instep of his right foot, getting rid of Moor in the process, and then fired it past Pickens, who surely can't say he enjoyed himself today. Fucito and Rosales, on the contary, looked exactly like they were having a great time:
    mEhZpz5.png
    After that, Sigi decided to bring out Fucito, in order to grant him a well deserved standing ovation, and to bring in O'Brian White who is, according to rumours, set to leave before the end of the transfer window.

The result didn't change anymore though, meaning that we defeated the Rapids 3-0. I'm not really satisfied with how I played today, but it's still a clean sheet after all.
    Two shutouts in the last two matches: who needs to retire, dear Plonkers Army?