Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Greenman019
    2364 posts Fans' Favourite
    Back to winning ways. Just need the defending to follow now for some clean sheets.
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Great come back from the lads, and a solid win, shame no clean sheet though, when is Alonso back?
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Decent draw and now a nice comeback win. Time for a winning streak now.
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Great win, now enough of this chat about Sigi and the Sounders parting ways. :)
    Thanks! Oh, Sigi isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :p
    Back to winning ways. Just need the defending to follow now for some clean sheets.
    Thanks! Yeah, we need to find a solution at the back for when Alonso isn't playing... But the most important thing now is that we defeated a direct contender for a playoff spot (and hopefully we could do so also against Salt Lake, our next opponent).
    Chris wrote: »
    Great come back from the lads, and a solid win, shame no clean sheet though, when is Alonso back?
    Thanks! He picked up another sprained ankle, so he'll be out for three weeks more or less. :)
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Decent draw and now a nice comeback win. Time for a winning streak now.
    Hopefully! :joy: Thank you, indeed this win was nice and, most of all, very needed.
  • ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Guys, this is another playoff contender. Make sure we'll show them who the Sounders are!"
    It's Sigi talking to the squad before entering the pitch here in Salt Lake.
    "Once again we'll have some players out injured, but I expect from all of you a special performance. And... Roger?" Sigi goes close to where Roger Levesque is seated. "You were at the Sounders before everyone else here, and the Sounders need you now. This is your moment: I expect a goal from you. Show me what you've got!"

And apparently Sigi's words have worked, as we're 20 minutes into the match and there's only been the Sounders for now. I already knew Ianni could aswell be a starter, and he's been replacing Hurtado flawlessly till now.
    But also González playing for Wahl and Tetteh for an off-colour Fernández are bossing the left flank, while Levesque upfront and Carrasco in the middle are doing their duty without problem.
    And it's indeed Carrasco firing the shot from some 30 metres away from the goal defended by Rimando now, a thing that usually Alonso would've done.
    Rimando saves it with a great dive but cannot get hold of it, and Montero is the first to reach the loose ball.
    KLLVxiz.png
    With Rimando still trying to get up after the save and unable to do anything, Fredy Montero decides that the most effective way to score is to power the ball home and so he does. One nil to the Sounders!

When the referee calls for three minutes of added time in the first halg, we're still 1-0 and we still have the ball. Rosales on the right, he gets rid of a defender with a magic trick, crosses the ball to Levesque who's in front of Rimando... And also Roger scores! It's 2-0 now!
    nqfTq80.png
    Don't ask me why he decides to celebrate like he is bloody Zlatan Ibrahimović, I have no idea.

In the second half things don't really change much: we attack, they try and get dangerous on the counter.
    Minute 65, and Espindola cuts our defence open with a wonderful through pass to Saborio. Saborio controls it, he's alone. I run out and manage to save his shot:
    nqfSHkH.png
    Unfortunately, though, Morales is faster than Parke and manages to knock the ball in the open goal, with me still trying to get up from the previous save.
    It's 2-1, and also for today I say 'goodbye' to the shutout.
    The match doesn't change much anyway: we keep attacking and have another chance with Levesque, but Rimando is great to deflect the ball with his foot and only concede a corner.

It's not important though, the only important thing at the final whistle is that the result is Real Salt Lake 1 - Seattle Sounders 2: we defeated another team who like us is aiming at the playoffs and we got back to 2nd in the Western Conference table.

Get ready Chicago, you're next.
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Shame you couldn't keep a clean sheet but positive performance non-the-less
  • Greenman019
    So close to a CS. Good win though :) Especially vs a playoff rival.

Typo here btw "added time in the first halg, we're still 1-0"
  • JamieC
    530 posts Sunday League Hero
    Unlucky to not get a clean sheet, but a win is good enough!
  • Ashy
    7398 posts Big Money Move
    Another win for you, great to see this only thing missing is a clean sheet now, I'm sure Kasey is working on getting one in the next game :)
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Dropping two on Rimando is a good sign. So how many games played? Please don't make me go back and count.
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Shame you couldn't keep a clean sheet but positive performance non-the-less
    So close to a CS. Good win though :) Especially vs a playoff rival.
    Thanks guys! Yeah it was close, but we lost our concentration once and... It's been enough.
    I believe we really need Alonso back at this stage, he truly offers that "one more man at the back" feeling even if he's not a defender, and I've been unable to get that either from Sanyang or from Carrasco.
    Typo here btw "added time in the first halg, we're still 1-0"
    Thanks, I really need to do some editing on the texts before I publish them here. Fix'd. :joy:
    Ashy wrote: »
    Another win for you, great to see this only thing missing is a clean sheet now, I'm sure Kasey is working on getting one in the next game :)
    Hopefully, if it doesn't come in the next game, it will come in the next three or four. :)
    Dropping two on Rimando is a good sign. So how many games played? Please don't make me go back and count.
    Wonder no more: we played 14 matches so far, with a 6-4-4 record (not grat, but not bad either). And... Being this the last match of the month, we're in for another monthly review:

0ejnW6M.png
    Image edited as I forgot to update the points for the Eastern Conference. The original image can be found here.

Post edited by ale85bg on
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good win in your last match and a nice injury time goal just before half-time always give you more confidence in the second half. And 2nd place in the conference - with some good results and a bit of luck you might even catch L.A Galaxy.
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Big talk from Schmid there, will need to back it up well
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    With some good results and a bit of luck you might even catch L.A Galaxy.
    Thanks! But I feel it's a difficult at the moment.
    The board asked for a playoff spot (even qualifying through the wildcard berth would be enough), I seriously hope to qualify directly so even a 3rd place finish in the conference would be enough. :)
    Big talk from Schmid there, will need to back it up well
    Errr... Ahem. :neutral:

5wIVKKZ.png

We've been silent for like a minute or two, and still no-one dares to say anything, until it's Sigi clearing his throat and beginning:
    "OK, this kinda backfired on me... Didn't it?"

Yes, Sigi. It backfired on you. It backfired on you big time: that 2-2 goal and that shushing celebration by Chaves, which was clearly aimed at you, just exploded in your face like a bomb. And you still ask us if we believe it backfired on you...
    Unfortunately I'm too kind to add fuel to the fire, so I just stay silent and nod with my head.

But unfortunately there are players in the squad that aren't as diplomatic as I am.

"You don't say?"
    This must be Levesque speaking.
    "I don't know Sigi, we drew against a team which is currently last in the Eastern Conference, a team which we should have easily defeated and which you tried to unnerve with your 'we gave you a hiding and we'll do it again' crap. Half of the USA are probably laughing at us right now! It didn't backfire on you, man... It backfired on us. All of us. Thank you so much!"

As you may have guessed, things didn't really go as expected in Chicago: we were anticipating an easy win, we left the Toyota park with a single point and we must consider ourselves lucky. Had Nyarko's shot gone in near the end of the match, we would've been talking about a loss here.

Things started going wrong at minute 10, when Husidic played a wonderful ball for Chaves, who only had to gently place it past me with a header. One nil to the Fire.
    Disappointed and somehow bewildered, we found it difficult to react for almost twenty minutes, in which they could have done almost anything to us.
    Then, there was a flash of light by our man Brad Evans: he entered the box and then kicked a powerful strike towards Johnson's goal which the keeper couldn't reach. One one baby, here we go!
    MoOZ772.png
    We managed to end the first half on the 1-1, and we thought that everything would be fine from there.
    Minute 55, Fucito all alone in front of Johnson fumbles the first touch and simply gives the ball to the keeper. What a wasted chance for the 2-1!
    AtAgb4C.png
    Luckily enough he earned our forgiveness shortly after when he scored the 2-1 goal, and we also thought that we would eventually win... But the worst was yet to come.

Minute 70, I had to perform a pretty difficult save on Chaves, who obviously wasn't done there: he scored the equalizer at minue 79, collecting a shot deflected by Hurtado right in front of me and slowly knocking it home. I mean, that's bad luck: I was about to catch the first shot but Hurtado bounced it away from me. Chaves only had to say 'thank you', tap the ball in the open net, and then celebrate in front of our bench by shushing Sigi.
    And they also had one last chance in the dying minutes with Nyarko, who forced me to perform one of my best saves of the season:
    k6hgGJ5.png
    I must say I'm proud of that save. Not only because it saved the result, but because I thought I wouldn't be able to perform such a save anymore.
    But apparently Kasey Keller doesn't give up. Never.
  • Tekkonkinkreet
    446 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bones still holding together nicely. Seattle still going well, a good play-off run is possible. By the way never said thanks for your present at Como...

a_CNTFTb.png

Putting that in between my Suarez and Batistuta one's :)
  • Greenman019
    Damn. Sounds like it could of been a lot worse, especially with that save at the end.

If the goal is just a playoff spot I think you'll be fine :)
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Man I am WAY behind. Just got caught up. Firm hasn't been the best but still sitting nice in a nice place. Gonna try to be better about keeping up with everything :)
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    ale85bg wrote:
    Hahahahahaha
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    It's the matches against the crappy teams that always come back to bite you, but at least Sigi got a point and didn't have to eat the entire crow. Avoiding the knockout round of the playoffs will be most beneficial because there is only three days between the knockout round and the conference semifinals. Stamina could prove crucial.
  • theodom101
    484 posts Sunday League Hero
    Just skimmed through the past couple of updates here. Looked like you picked up a couple of decent results along the way. Nice to hear Keller can still make a low diving save to rescue a point
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Bones still holding together nicely. Seattle still going well, a good play-off run is possible.
    Thanks! :)

Damn. Sounds like it could of been a lot worse, especially with that save at the end.
    If the goal is just a playoff spot I think you'll be fine :)
    Thanks! Yeah the board only asked for a playoff spot by any means, so we should be okay. ;)

Firm hasn't been the best but still sitting nice in a nice place.
    Yeah, we should have won against Chicago but they put in a solid performance and they earned my respect (and Sigi's) for that.

ale85bg wrote:
    Hahahahahaha
    Knowing Sigi, I don't think he'll give up on the banter anytime soon, despite it backfiring on him this time. :D

It's the matches against the crappy teams that always come back to bite you, but at least Sigi got a point and didn't have to eat the entire crow
    Yeah, and it had already happened against KC, against Philadelphia and against the Timbers before: we haven't lost any of them but we just got 4 points in 4 matches.

theodom101 wrote: »
    Nice to hear Keller can still make a low diving save to rescue a point
    Honestly, I was surprised by this save too: if I had to make a montage with the best moments of the season, this would surely be in.

By the way never said thanks for your present at Como...
    Putting that in between my Suarez and Batistuta one's :)
    Glad you liked it... Yeah Schönbächler was one of the players I was most proud of, a product of the youth academy finally bursting in the starting XI... Only to see the save abandoned. Tough luck. :joy:
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

Once a journalist asked me thi question: If you had to choose between a win and a clean sheet, what would you go for?
    Now, some 20 years after, I know the answer. I got to learn it by heart, after being told several times "great display, but this 0-0 draw was not enough".

That's why I'm absolutely happy today, even if I conceded a goal to Vancouver. It doesn't matter, we won.
    And we did so in a convincing way, which is even more important.

We started controlling the flow of the game straight from the beginning, and we managed to impose our tempo to the match: patient build up and then sudden bursts by Tetteh on the left flank to get past our opponents and the class of Rosales on the right. And in the middle, finally, Osvaldo Alonso was back.
    And it was Alonso indeed to record the first shot on goal at minute 25:
    HTAYltt.png
    His left-footed volley got tipped by Cannon over the bar for a corner.

Shortly after, though, we went ahead with a wonderful strike by Fucito from just outside the box: he got the ball, he made himself some space, then he brought out his crosshair and aimed at the bottom corner. Perfect strike I must say, it looked like a billiard ball.
    Alonso wasn't done there though, as he went on a run at minute 40 and got brought down in the box: the referee immediately pointed to the spot, and Rosales took the responsibility of the shot.
    94pwLaJ.png
    Cannon almost reached it, but once again the strike was perfectly aimed at the bottom corner. 2-0 for the Sounders!

In the second half, probably annoyed or upset for losing, they started fouling us in the worst possible ways. This is Jarju tackling Parke in a way that's currently illegal in 46 states:
    YpUa0AU.png
    Of course the referee deemed a card was too much for such an innocent tackle, so Jarju was left free to keep roaming on the pitch and, eventually, to score the 2-1 goal at minute 76.

Who cares, we won and that's all important for now. The shutouts will eventually come if Alonso keeps playing like he did today.
    And, another wonderful thing: no-one of us got injured today despite Vancouver trying to beat the Hell out of us.
  • Greenman019
    "If you had to choose between a win and a clean sheet, what would you go for?"

Why not both :o

Good win though, left it a little late but 3 points is all that matters ^^

That target does seem to slip a little further away with each game right now though :c
  • Wyojasond
    7585 posts League Winner
    Yeah that clean sheet record seems to a long lost memory :s
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Winning is nice, but so is a clean sheet. I mean, who wants to sleep in a dirty bed? :o
    Sounds like Vancouver was getting a little frustrated, guess they want to win the Cascadia Cup because it looks like their season is a lost cause. :)
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice win to get back on track after the draw last time out.
  • ale85bg
    Why not both :open_mouth:
    That would be the ideal solution, but still... As long as we can enter the playoffs, it's alright I guess.
    Yeah that clean sheet record seems to a long lost memory :s
    I agree that the 10 shutouts goal is now getting a little out of reach: it looks like the shortcomings of mine while playing as a GK have surfaced all at once lately. :joy:
    Winning is nice, but so is a clean sheet. I mean, who wants to sleep in a dirty bed?
    :lol:
    On a different note, also being shutout isn't that good if you ask me. Question of points of view.
    Nice win to get back on track after the draw last time out.
    Thanks! :) Hopefully this will give some fuel to the team for the next match (which will be played against NY... I already shiver).
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Stiil. No. Clean. Sheet.

Good win none the less of course
  • ale85bg
    Stiil. No. Clean. Sheet.
    Yeah, indeed we haven't recorded a clean sheet in a while now. Luckily, Sigi doesn't look too worried about it at the moment:

X0INLtq.png

• Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Very sketchy comments regarding transfers there, hopefully we'll see some positive moves by Seattle