Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Greenman019
    2355 posts Fans' Favourite
    As you say, unbeaten run continues. Fair few goals, so way off a CS but positive overall.

Btw you typo'ed Qhen in one of the final paragraphs.
  • LennonLegend
    165 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Solid performances. Clawing back that draw was a good effort.

Great work. Loving the story!
  • Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    Looking good the recent form is great always good to go on an unbeaten run
  • theodom101
    484 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yeah staying unbeaten is always a positive despite the draw
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Shame about the clean sheet but the undefeated run is impressive
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Own goals can be frustrating, especially for Keller, but at least Seattle got the point.
  • Ahmer50x
    7490 posts League Winner
    Very good unbeaten run
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Still a good draw and a good little comeback after the 69th minute own goal.
    Thanks! We kinda lost our focus and wete way too relaxed when Scott scored the own goal, but we got our act together pretty soon after that and luckily enough we managed to equalize. :)
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Very good unbeaten run
    Thanks man! :)
    Solid performances. Clawing back that draw was a good effort.
    Great work. Loving the story!
    Thanks my friend, yeah all in all it's been a good result. :)
    Ashy wrote: »
    Looking good the recent form is great always good to go on an unbeaten run
    Sure! It might not contribute towards the clean sheet record, but a little bit of an undefeated run surely contributes towards a playoff spot. :)
    theodom101 wrote: »
    Yeah staying unbeaten is always a positive despite the draw
    Seeing that we went down twice, yeah, I'm satisfied with a draw. It came in the dying minutes too, so it's an even better sensation. :)
    Chris wrote: »
    Shame about the clean sheet but the undefeated run is impressive
    The clean sheet tally can still be increased in the future, the most important thing was to make up for that bad start and we're doing it pretty well! :)
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Own goals can be frustrating, especially for Keller, but at least Seattle got the point.
    Yeah, they are frustrating especially because we've already conceded two of them in this season. But yeah, we managed to snatch a draw and that's more important now. :)
    As you say, unbeaten run continues. Fair few goals, so way off a CS but positive overall.
    Btw you typo'ed Qhen in one of the final paragraphs.
    Thanks! Having Parke subbed off and Ianni not fit played a big role in this little defensive debacle, but we've managed to stay undefeated and that's good.
    Thanks for pointing the typo out, fixed! ;)
    And... I did even something worse:
    ale85bg wrote: »
    but the more touching moment happens after the final whistle
    I feel a little ashamed as that's grammar, not a typo. :flushed: English is not my native language so I still let one of these silly errors slip in from time to time. :p
    Need to fix that, too.

• Greenman019
    What happened after the final whistle @ale85bg ?
  • ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    What happened after the final whistle?
    Oh, at the end of the Philly match there's been a cutscene with many Sounders players going towards Keller and patting him on the back (the one I posted a photo of).
    The ashaming thing is just that I wrote "the more touching" instead of "the most touching".
    I'm writing this story not only because I like this career a lot, but also as a means to improve my English skills... So I should really avoid mistakes like that. :joy:

It's always good to relax after a difficult training session, which I ended once again almost breathless.
    And it looks memory is failing me too: I've always known pre-season training sessions are painful, but I always remembered "regular" training sessions being somehow lighter.
    Now after training I'm aching almost everywhere day in, day out. But no matter how difficult the day has been: there's nothing stopping me from playing some FIFA with the kids after dinner.
    So it's once again time to lean back on the sofa, kick off our shoes and turn our Xbox 360 on to play some FIFA 11.
    Suddenly, the phone starts buzzing... And I'll let you guess who it is.

This is how the conversation goes on from there.

mUCOn12.png

I knew he would've liked to talk about our recent defensive form (or lack thereof, most likely), so asking me out for a beer with the rest of the staff sounds like a good idea: I've never been a big drinker, but from time to time I allow myself to have a beer, especially if it's with the right people. And the Sounders' coaching staff are the right people you can have some fun with.

So I finish the match and then reach Sigi and his staff at their usual bar.
    As soon as I open the bar's door, it's Sigi coming towards me with a bottle of Bud. "Here KK, have a beer!"

"Thanks Sigi! So, what's up?"

"Uh, nothing special. I just thought you would enjoy a night out with the staff. And, on a serious note, I've seen that we seem to suffer a little back there lately. I made my mind up about the issue, but I would love to know your stance about it. Come, take a seat and tell me whatever you think about it".

We sit at the table with the coaching staff, put our bottles of beer down and I start explaining: "Well, Sigi... We're not going to find a quick solution to this. I don't see any serious problem with our defence: Parke and Hurtado are a great duo, and Pat Ianni has got what it takes to be a starter, too. On the other hand, Taylor Graham used to be pretty good back in the day but lately he's become a little slow and clumsy..."

I stop and take a breath, Sigi notices it: "...Aaand?"
    There's nothing to do about it, Sigi can almost read my mind. He knows there's another thing worrying me.

"And well, Sigi, I fear I'm not the one I used to be 15 years ago anymore. I've grown a little clumsy too and my reactions aren't as good as they were back in the day. Surely my positioning and my ability to foresee what's going to happen have gotten better over time, but they hardly make up for me having slowly turned into an oldie".

He laughs. "KK, I knew you would say such a thing. And I called you here for a reason: I wanted to make sure you understand what I'm about to tell you..."

I nod silently, and he keeps on: "Your contribution here is invaluable and I have an unconditioned trust in you. You're the team captain, my right-hand man both on and off the pitch, and you're doing a brilliant job. Cheers!"

He lifts the bottle of beer, so do I. We take a sip from our bottles, and I must admit I'm a little worried to see him so serious... Until he starts talking again:
    "That being said, I expect you to lead the team to a win against Toronto and nothing less".

That's the old, funny Sigi I used to know... I wonder if he'll ever change.
  • Greenman019
    The old man can still do it, no problem
  • ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

Wow, finally the match is over... Now I can go grab some ice to put on my poor shoulder, I need it badly.
    I went down clumsily while trying to stop Plata from scoring the 2-1 goal and I made an unnatural movement with it: now it's black and visibly swollen and it hurts a lot when I move it.
    I'm experienced enough to know it's not dislocated and there's nothing broken, but boy how it hurts.

There's a thing that makes me almost forget the pain though: Sigi asked for a win and we delivered, that's really the most important thing.

It's not been an easy match though: half an hour into the match, I had to save a point blank effort by Avila, while we had to wait until minute 40 to record our first shot on goal. It's been a close range, powerful strike by Fredy Montero who bounced off a defender's arm and went out for a corner.
    Fredy instantly ran to the referee raving about it, to no avail: the only thing we got was a corner.

But fate follows strange paths at times: from the subsequent corner, Rosales crossed the ball in, Ianni headed it towards the goal but a defender cleared in into Alonso's path and our man Osvaldo fired it home, with Frei almost reaching it.
    nZDubYO.png
    Had Frei saved that, it would have surely been a 'save of the year' contender, but he couldn't do anything about it.

The second half has been a carnage: Alonso went down after a tacke and had to be brought out with a stretcher. Then it was Ianni's turn (in Toronto's defence I have to say that he did all by himself), and halfway through the second half also Rosales had to leave the pitch with a bruised rib after being blatantly elbowed. My vibrant complaints only resulted in the referee threatening me to show me the yellow card, and by minute 75 we were left with no more substitutions.

Around minute 80, with Toronto trying to overload our box, Hurtado won a ball and cleared it as far as he could, finding Montero all alone on the counter: he got one-on-one with Frei, made him sit down with a fake shot and then knocked the ball in the open net. 2-0 for us!

Unfortunately, though, we eventually haven't been able to keep the clean sheet. After the 2-0 they started charging us big time, and we eventually conceded: during the stoppage time Plata found himself in a good posotion, fired a shot which I somehow managed to save although falling on my shoulder, then proceeded to collect the rebound and to power the ball into the open goal.
    U6l35oI.png
    This is him trying to collect the ball from the back of the net to quickly bring it to the centre spot, and if you look at the background you can see me on my knees, most likely swearing in pain.
    His run towards the centre circle has been useless though, because as soon as we kicked off again the referee said it was over.

So now I'm here, trying to grab a bag of ice to at least relieve the pain a little, happy because the undefeated run is still going on, and also a little annoyed for the goal conceded in the stoppage time which costed me a clean sheet that I had already almost reached.
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    Brutal to give up two goals like that. Like the touch with the text message as well. Great story so far
  • Greenman019
    Good win. The late goal to ruin the CS sucks though.

Still think you'll achieve 10 though.
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    For a moment, I thought the meeting with Sigi would result in him asking Keller to step back and possibly consider an early retirement...whew!

p.s I'm impressed that you are able to write this with English being a second language. It inspired me to pick up Spanish again until I priced the Rosetta Stone program: "Ay Caramba!"
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    A good win but shame you couldn't keep a clean sheet
  • theodom101
    Yeah, I thought the meeting would mean being asked to retire, or at the very least look elsewhere for opportunities. Suffice to say, it was a relief when the opposite happened.

Good to pick up the 3 points, shame about losing the clean sheet so late on
  • Ahmer50x
    7490 posts League Winner
    I thought you were getting benched in that meeting :lol:
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice win but age seems to be catching up with KK - I know how he feels :D Although I think he can still reach the target of 10 clean sheets.
  • Ashy
    7384 posts Big Money Move
    Quite like the text message addition, and so far so good with another 3 points, I wouldn't worry about clean sheets too much as long as the team is winning, I still think you can hit the target of 10
  • ale85bg
    Like the touch with the text message as well. Great story so far
    Ashy wrote: »
    Quite like the text message addition, and so far so good with another 3 points
    Thanks guys! Yeah I figured out it could be a nice addition indeed, glad you liked it.
    For a moment, I thought the meeting with Sigi would result in him asking Keller to step back and possibly consider an early retirement...whew!
    theodom101 wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought the meeting would mean being asked to retire, or at the very least look elsewhere for opportunities.
    Keller actually retired at the end of the 2011 season, but... I plan to play him as long as he actually can. :joy:
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I thought you were getting benched in that meeting :lol:
    Well, indeed KK will be on the bench for a couple of matches now. Nothing major though. :)
    A good win but shame you couldn't keep a clean sheet
    Still think you'll achieve 10 though.
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Although I think he can still reach the target of 10 clean sheets.
    Thanks guys! It's been unlucky to concede so late in the game, but I also believe that the target of 10 clean sheets can still be reached despite KK having to miss a couple of matches now.
    The problem here is that he's not the only one, there are a lot of players out... And when I say a lot, I mean a lot: Keller, Parke, Riley, Ianni, Rosales and Alonso won't be able to play the next match. Alonso, especially, picked up a sprained ankle and will miss the next four matches (at least). Apart from Ianni which is a rotation player for the moment, they're all starters. :astonished:

• ale85bg
    Once in a while, it's good to watch your teammates undergo a training session without actually having to do so yourself. It's been two days now since the match against Toronto and my shoulder still hurts, so I can't train: that's why I'm having a walk with Sigi on the touchline instead, with him showing me how he intends to field the team for the next match against DC United.

"Look at this list KK, not a single one of these players will be able to play. How on Earth am I supposed to compile a decent starting XI with half of my first team out?"
    I quickly read the list then I look around: Parke is actually running but he still has a guard on his shoulder, Ianni is slowly limping towards the bench. Rosales and Alonso are sitting near the touchline and from time to time you could hear one or the other burst into laughter, while Jamie Riley on the other hand is biting the bullet forcing himself to perform the painful and difficult task of trying to run, but the look on his face clearly tells that his ankle is still aching.

Good news for us, at least Terry Boss has fully recovered from the injury he picked un in the pre-season against Atalanta and he's ready to make his seasonal debut against DC United next Wednesday. Just in time, I'd say.
    I believe it will be like the second match in three years that he plays for the Sounders, provided that he doesn't get injured again in the next two days.

When Sigi enters the pitch to give directions to the players training, I sit on the bench and take my tablet out of the bag: I haven't watched the table once since the season has started, and this could aswell be a good moment to do so.

NVBDkLS.png

Things are not looking bad, honestly. Not at all.
    Our main objective according to the board is to reach the playoffs, and even reaching them via the wildcard stage would do... I must admit things are really falling into place pretty nicely now, after the disastrous beginning.
  • ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

As we approach the Kennedy Memorial Stadium by bus, I think that I gotta love the free wi-fi in the hotels. Hadn't it been for the free wi-fi, I would have most likely lost this little gem, that happened shortly before going to bed yesterday:
    aZgbhL1.png
    This is the kind of things that usually make me laugh out loud, and it really makes you see how funny Sigi is when he's on a good day. After seeing that I decided to call it a night and go to bed: I won't be playing today, but I'll still be on the bench supporting the boys out on the pitch, so I thought that I would try to be rested at least, as certainly I cannot say I am in good shape.

As we leave the bus and enter the stadium I walk on Sigi's side and I somehow hear him mumble. Paul Allen tries to say something to Sigi, who grunts in response. Then he turns to me and says "Would you believe it? We also lost Evans... I must field Sanyang! SANYANG! I can hardly remember his face, and I'm forced to play him as a starter!"
    I can really say nothing to him: without the first choice between the posts, with one defender available out of four, without half of the starting midfielder... I really wouldn't want to be him.

And thanks Heaven I'm not him, so when Wolff scores for DC United after 15 minutes of play it's not me having to invent something to get back in the match.
    As strange as it sounds, it's their defender Kitchen who brings us back to the match when, during the stoppage time of the first half, decides to kick Levesque's knee for no apparent reason:
    dptvcOZ.png
    Fredy Montero scores the penalty to make it 1-1, but Levesque has to leave the pitch. As if we hadn't already seen enough injuries this season.

During the second half we have some chances to even take the lead, but Billy Hamid just says 'no'. And he then says 'no' again. And again.
    Minute 65 and they're ahead again, once again thanks to Wolff who scores the 2-1. He's not top goalscorer of the league by chance, apparently.
    But as long as Kitchen is on the pitch, there's hope: following a corner, once again he crumbles upon Montero, forcing the referee to award another penalty to the Sounders.
    Fredy Montero delivers again: it's all square once again, 2-2!
    pSPTRgR.png
    But then, you award two penalties to the away team and don't you want to award at least one to the hosts? Which kind of heartless referee would do that? Surely not the one we have here tonight, as when we've just got into minute 85 he awards a penalty to DC United for this totally harmless tag-team challenge made by Boss and Graham against Pontius:
    cVEqBPc.png
    And Terry also has the courage to get up and complain about not having touched the opponent!
    Pontius walks to the spot and scores the penalty: 3-2 to DC United.

And to add insult to injury, they also score the fourth in the stoppage time. Goodbye undefeated run, goodbye dignity for Sigi Schmid, who tears off his jacket, slams it against the bench's side in wrath, then proceeds to jump over it like a fury insulting whoever tries to calm him down.

This is another thing you may not know about Sigi: he's just a little temperamental at times.
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Tekkonkinkreet
    446 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited September 2016
    Really enjoying this, life in the old dog for sure. Could Keller move on to a managerial role at some point?
  • Greenman019
    Well that sucks. Quite a hefty loss to halt the unbeaten run...

And you didn't even have the chance to do anything about it.
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Ha! Nice bit with the Boss. Bill Hamid is an excellent keeper, but what a crazy game with DC United. Love the Sounders summary page, but when I tried to follow on Twitter, the link didn't work. :p
  • Wyojasond
    7580 posts League Winner
    :D :D that Facebook feed was hilarious. Lol.
  • Chris
    5210 posts Moderator
    Tough loss to end such a good run, hopefully it doesn't have a knock on effect
  • ale85bg
    Really enjoying this, life in the old dog for sure. Could Keller move on to a managerial role at some point?
    Thanks man! Who knows, surely he has the knowledge to become a manager sooner or later...
    Well that sucks. Quite a hefty loss to halt the unbeaten run...
    And you didn't even have the chance to do anything about it.
    It actually sucks, but we're facing an injury crisis right now so there's little we could do. And the next match is against Columbus... Currently 2nd in the East. :cry:
    Ha! Nice bit with the Boss. Bill Hamid is an excellent keeper, but what a crazy game with DC United. Love the Sounders summary page, but when I tried to follow on Twitter, the link didn't work. :p
    Thanks mate! I remember him for a match against Portland (it was in 2011 too if I remember correctly) in which he saved a penalty only to the referee ordering to have him re-taken as Hamid was not on the line.
    He saved it again, and the referee once again disallowed it for the same reason (and booked Hamid as he was complaining), and Hamid ended up conceding on the third attempt.
    :D :D that Facebook feed was hilarious. Lol.
    Thanks man! Hearing this from you makes me happy (and also a little proud).
    Tough loss to end such a good run, hopefully it doesn't have a knock on effect
    Well, we'll be playing the Crew next... Wish us luck as we'll certainly need it. :confounded:

• theodom101
    Shame about the loss and unlucky with the injury list starting to pile up now