9 Anthony Martial
39 Marcus Rashford

TrainerCoach

Louis van Gaal
Post edited by Ryan on

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    7496 posts League Winner
    Now that I'm back, I wanna give my two cents on the discussion about summer signings that was taking place on the old forums. Thinking realistically, I'd like us to sign the following players: Clyne, Laporte, Iturraspe, Depay, and Danny Ings.

I'm envisioning a 4-3-3 formation as follows:
    De Gea
    Clyne---Smalling---Laporte---Shaw
    Iturraspe---Herrera
    Mata
    Di Maria---Rooney---Depay

I would also offload: Evans, Falcao, Lindegaard, Hernandez, van Persie, Powell, Cleverley, Thorpe, Amos, Keane, Nani, Henriquez, and one of Rafael/Valencia (probably the latter for me, but LvG will get rid of the former).
  • I don't think Clyne is particularly good, and even though he approaching his last 12 months, he'd cost an awkward price. I do not think van Gaal will be in the market for a #6, he values Carrick very highly and then has Blind with his utility as foil. He seeks the 'balance' in midfield (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9717320/manchester-united-manager-louis-van-gaal-confirms-the-club-will-attempt-to-sign-a-top-creative-midfielder-this-summer) which translates into a physical/defensively capable box-to-box midfielder. Schneiderlin would be perfect. A forward like Ings is definitely necessary - vital that we bridge the gap between Rooney and Wilson for a second choice striker.
  • Ahmer50x
    7496 posts League Winner
    Picked Clyne because he has an understanding with Shaw and also because he's been the most rumored so far. Point is, we need a RB who Louis trusts.

As for the midfielder, that's why I picked Iturraspe. He'd essentially play the Matic to Herrera's Fabregas. They even have an understanding having played together at Bilbao. Schneiderlin is awesome too, not that different of a player, but I don't like how he's been effectively moaning about UCL football all season.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    Rooney, Wilson and Ings would be such a pitiful selection of strikers.
  • Ryan
    9353 posts Moderator
    Janmaat for the RB spot tbh
  • Ahmer50x
    7496 posts League Winner
    Ryan wrote: »

Would take him happily, but haven't seen him linked.
  • PES
    5165 posts Big Money Move
    Isn't he like...terrible? :?
  • Ryan
    9353 posts Moderator
    PES wrote: »
    Isn't he like...terrible? :?

Nope. He is very good, has the odd lapse defensively and lacks pace, but pretty good at literally everything else.

• We won't play like Chelsea with Matic and Cesc. van Gaal has mentioned in the past that in his desired formation, he plays with 4 'defensive' players. That is; the two CB's, the #6, and the defensive box-to-box. That role is key for him. At the minute he does not have one. He bypasses this rule currently playing Ander as the #8 because Fellaini provides physical balance. He sees (or saw, maybe Ander is convincing him otherwise) Herrera as a #10, so he will be signing a new midfielder to play beside him. It's why he played Rooney there for a while, to see if he could fit it for him.

van Gaal will not be buying Janmaat. He dropped him for Kuyt at Brazil.
  • Ahmer50x
    7496 posts League Winner
    edited April 2015
    Personally, I just don't see Carrick as much of a CDM. Much like Blind, he's very good at picking off the opposition's passes but struggles to impose himself physically like Matic does.

I see Iturraspe playing as the CDM sitting in front of the back four, Herrera as the box to box midfielder that you were speaking about (though I understand your point that Louis may not see him that way and that he may be a bit too attacking for the role), and Mata as the creative X factor.

Also, assuming we're in the CL next season, I see Blind, Fellaini, and Carrick all still at the club playing plenty of matches, rotating in and out as Louis plans for particular types of opposition and matches.
  • Chxrman
    149 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Clyne is definitely most likely but if I'm honest, I'd be more than happy with Srna for a season or two if the latter isn't available this summer. Not many will agree and he's not going to be the long term solution we need but he's got more than enough experience at CL level to help us for a few seasons at least.
  • Srna is awful.
  • Welbeck
    5098 posts Moderator
    I hear Jenkinson is available.
  • Bob Loblaw
    11181 posts Has That Special Something
    Srna 3930007226.gif
  • Nem
    4977 posts Big Money Move
    Dont worry all, the Harry Kane av will be making a return soon.

May even 'shop it so that Lescott, Ings and Bale are in the background running to celebrate with him
  • This Laporte kid the real deal?
    As for you allowing Powell to leave, what a waste of talent he has been Ferguson rated him so highly as well, another player who has never really been given a chance. :(
  • Andy
    7802 posts League Winner
    You can leave Laporte at Bilbao thx.
  • PES
    Laporte should have been signed instead of Rojo. I guess you're getting Hummels and won't like it.
  • In all fairness Rojo has been a decent signing, he's had a solid season.
  • Evra
    2236 posts
    edited April 2015
    Hummels will be okay, I think. I can already see parallels in Kosc+Oaf last season in a Big Chris+Hummels duo.

Hummels also seems to have a [however feigned] streak of self-confidence. We do lack that particular trait at the back.
  • Ahmer50x
    7496 posts League Winner
    edited April 2015
    PES wrote: »
    Laporte should have been signed instead of Rojo. I guess you're getting Hummels and won't like it.

I would love Hummels, despite my concerns about his supposed lack of pace, but my only concern is that van Gaal would have only one senior left footed center back in Rojo. He seems to not like pairing two right footers whenever he can avoid it. I suggested Laporte instead as I believe he is left footed and would give us some options in terms of left footers at CB.
    Greg wrote: »
    This Laporte kid the real deal?
    As for you allowing Powell to leave, what a waste of talent he has been Ferguson rated him so highly as well, another player who has never really been given a chance. :(

Like Zaha, he seems to suffer from an attitude problem. See under his Leicester loan.
  • PES
    Evra wrote: »
    Hummels will be okay, I think. I can already see parallels in Kosc+Oaf last season in a Big Chris+Hummels duo.
    Why do you make that sound like a good thing? :?
    Hummels also seems to have a [however feigned] streak of self-confidence. We do lack that particular trait at the back.
    It's a case of over-confidence with him. He isn't self-critical at all, instead he's regularly blaming team mates publically when they screw up (usually he's sugarcoating it relatively well, so the media hardly takes notice; they're very Dortmund friendly anyway). He is a top, top player on his day, but that happens far too rarely to justify the hype and price. The usual Hummels-performance lacks focus. Not to mention he's hardly ever fully fit anymore.

• Louis can fix that.
  • ViVaWhom
    3618 posts National Call-Up
    so is this the real football section then
  • Jenko
    13845 posts Has That Special Something
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    so is this the real football section then

Yes
  • ReusKrispies
    2507 posts Fans' Favourite
    Utd <3 <3 Depay to join next season?
  • Teh Zombz
    2743 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

I would also offload: Evans, Falcao, Lindegaard, Hernandez, van Persie, Powell, Cleverley, Thorpe, Amos, Keane, Nani, Henriquez, and one of Rafael/Valencia (probably the latter for me, but LvG will get rid of the former).

I hope we can keep Nani, I reckon LVG could turn him into a consistent player

• murphy
    945 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Nah, Nani can **** off. The Memphis deal is already wrapped up, there is no need for Nani.
  • Teh Zombz
    2743 posts Fans' Favourite
    Don't care for Depay at all
  • Ahmer50x
    7496 posts League Winner
    "It's noteworthy that if the season had started on deadline day, when each club had a settled squad, United would be second in the table, just a point behind leaders Chelsea, and preparing for a tilt at the title in the April 18 run-in with the table's top team."

That gives me real confidence going into next season, especially since Woodward and van Gaal will hopefully have articulated and executed the vast majority of their summer transfer strategy by then to enhance the squad further.