Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Should be more love for Christopher Smalling in here. Been absolutely fantastic recently.
  • Should be more love for Christopher Smalling in here. Been absolutely fantastic recently.
    Top, top player.
  • JPedz
    940 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Smaldini.
  • Antparry92
    11420 posts Has That Special Something
    Should be more love for Christopher Smalling in here. Been absolutely fantastic recently.

No.

I honestly hate seeing his name down on the team sheet. Far too raw and hasn't developed since he's come here really. Makes far too many basic mistakes and has still to this day produced THE worst individual performance I've seen on a football pitch against Olympiakos 2 years ago
  • Have a word with yourself.
  • G000ner
    2872 posts Fans' Favourite
    @antparry92 I agree he has been awful for the majority of his career, but he is currently United's best centre back. So he must have developed marginally unless your centre backs are that bad. I find it weird you're using performances from over 2 years ago.
  • Awful over the majority of his career? He was fantastic at Fulham, and looked brilliant in his first season at Manchester United. Sir Alex massively hindered his development by clinging onto Ferdinand and Vidic as much as he could, often shunning Smalling onto the bench for large periods or placing him at right back. He was undoubtably the clubs best CB last season and has continued to do so this year, whilst slowly emerging as a leader on the pitch. On defensive ability in the league I would only rate Koscienly as unanimously better. Alderweireld is on an equal level, and perhaps John Terry when the defensive line is deep.
  • Bob Loblaw
    11205 posts Has That Special Something
    He was also forced to play out of position a number of times under Ferguson and barely put a foot wrong, his delivery from crosses was not the best but what can you expect from a no nonsense british centre half.
  • Chris Smalling, not Phil Jones.
  • Bob Loblaw
    11205 posts Has That Special Something
    Evra wrote: »
    Chris Smalling, not Phil Jones.
    Smalling has played about 50 games at right back for United under Moyes and Ferguson.
  • Antparry92
    edited April 2015
    Awful over the majority of his career? He was fantastic at Fulham, and looked brilliant in his first season at Manchester United. Sir Alex massively hindered his development by clinging onto Ferdinand and Vidic as much as he could, often shunning Smalling onto the bench for large periods or placing him at right back. He was undoubtably the clubs best CB last season and has continued to do so this year, whilst slowly emerging as a leader on the pitch. On defensive ability in the league I would only rate Koscienly as unanimously better. Alderweireld is on an equal level, and perhaps John Terry when the defensive line is deep.
    He wasn't fantastic at Fulham, he was raw and was a gamble. Don't think you could even nominate a defensive player last year to be honest. Still think our best defensive lineup is Valencia-Rojo-Jones-Blind.That comment about being second only to Koscielny in the league defensively made me laugh. Perhaps John Terry....What about Cahill? Fonte? Reid? Would have all them better than him defensively as well as a few others........Have a word
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Reid and Cahill are so bad.
  • G000ner
    edited April 2015
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Awful over the majority of his career? He was fantastic at Fulham, and looked brilliant in his first season at Manchester United. Sir Alex massively hindered his development by clinging onto Ferdinand and Vidic as much as he could, often shunning Smalling onto the bench for large periods or placing him at right back. He was undoubtably the clubs best CB last season and has continued to do so this year, whilst slowly emerging as a leader on the pitch. On defensive ability in the league I would only rate Koscienly as unanimously better. Alderweireld is on an equal level, and perhaps John Terry when the defensive line is deep.
    He wasn't fantastic at Fulham, he was raw and was a gamble. Don't think you could even nominate a defensive player last year to be honest. Still think our best defensive lineup is Valencia-Rojo-Jones-Blind.That comment about being second only to Koscielny in the league defensively made me laugh. Perhaps John Terry....What about Cahill? Fonte? Reid? Would have all them better than him defensively as well as a few others........Have a word

Fonte 2cgki87.jpg, Cahill 2cgki87.jpg 2cgki87.jpg, Reid 2cgki87.jpg 2cgki87.jpg 2cgki87.jpg. Koscielny is absolutely miles ahead of them. Only Terry and Sakho are close currently.
  • Welbeck
    5098 posts Moderator
    He's talking about Smalling not being better than them, I'd hope. Fonte isn't bad tbf.
  • G000ner
    edited April 2015
    Welbeck wrote: »
    He's talking about Smalling not being better than them, I'd hope. Fonte isn't bad tbf.
    Actually I see how he could mean it now. But yeah Smalling is definitely better than Reid and Cahill anyway
  • Antparry92 wrote: »
    Smalling is better than all of those you buffoon.
  • Antparry92
    edited April 2015
    Welbeck wrote: »

This :lol:
    And to clear up I meant he was no where near Terry also

Terry and Fonte for CB in TOTY for me
  • PES
    5166 posts Big Money Move
    £70m for those three would be farcical.
  • Agreed. £29m for Hummels and £20m for a 12-month contract Clyne is absurd. Memphis' price is acceptable as he has a lot of potential.
  • PR0DIGY84
    283 posts Sunday League Hero
    Agreed. £29m for Hummels and £20m for a 12-month contract Clyne is absurd. Memphis' price is acceptable as he has a lot of potential.

Going to be a lot of clubs after Clyne I imagine I wouldn't mind having him either.
  • what do you think is reasonable for Hummels?
  • Teh Zombz
    2798 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2015
    PaKu wrote: »
    what do you think is reasonable for Hummels?

30m-ish in todays market. He is a class CB imo, he only looks bad this season because the team as a whole have been playing awful. Look at the WC for instance, looked a class act + nearly everyone was saying how good he is before this season
  • Antparry92
    Teh Zombz wrote: »

30m-ish in todays market. He is a class CB imo, he only looks bad this season because the team as a whole have been playing awful. Look at the WC for instance, looked a class act + nearly everyone was saying how good he is before this season
    Would have to go along with this...Crying out for a CB, can't see Clyne happening now nor Memphis really with the form of Young currently and we still Mata and ADM as well
  • PES
    5166 posts Big Money Move
    €20m. Possibly €25m, but that's where any club should draw the line for a defender that has his problems with basic defending.
  • PR0DIGY84 wrote: »
    Agreed. £29m for Hummels and £20m for a 12-month contract Clyne is absurd. Memphis' price is acceptable as he has a lot of potential.

Going to be a lot of clubs after Clyne I imagine I wouldn't mind having him either.
    It'll just be those two. City don't really have any need, nor Arsenal. Spurs/Liverpool wouldn't be able to compete with Utd/Chelsea if they were interested.
  • Ryan
    9368 posts Moderator
    City could probably do with him. Sagna really hasn't been very good for them, while Zabaleta's performances have really dropped this season compared to previous. Plus it looks like they are going to be losing Milner, so will need a HG player to replace him.
  • Mike
    7728 posts League Winner
    We'll just get a few Richard Wrights and Aaron Cresswell, no problem.
  • Welbeck
    5098 posts Moderator
    Mike wrote: »
    We'll just get a few Richard Wrights and Aaron Cresswell, no problem.
    don't forget Ross Barkley :)
  • Daniel
    1721 posts Play-Off Hero
    Clyne would be the perfect Sagna replacement. His performances for England have put me off him massively, though. Looks like he'd be a major liability in European games.