An extended critique of FIFA game play problems.

So, lots of rage about how FIFA plays, but not normally a lot of extended analysis. I know this is probably a forlorn hope, as I've done this in the past to little affect, but this is my studied response to what is most frustrating about this game. Please not, I don't play online and don't play much FUT, but I think a lot of the problems I notice in kick off and CM carry over

There are three broad categories of problems that can be expanded on that are at the core what is the bad gameplay:

1. Auto-mated actions and canned animations at conflict with other actions. (Actions taken by player I allegedly control that does not match button input)

2. Input failures (I push button, action not taken)

3. Poor recognition of game action by AI controlled players

So one, a lot of the shooting and jumping and save actions are too canned and to reliant on programmed assistance that overrides user input. This affects everything from a shot taking too long to execute because the shooting animation is too long and conflicts with the running animations, to the assisted controls being too much at variance from the stick position. So this means your passes are not going close to where you are aiming, or you have no control at all from where your shot goes. Particularly notable are double button press shots that rocket over the bar, the high number of shots that hit the frame of the goal, and open nets being much easier to miss than hit with any amount of speed applied to the shot.

Solution: please make this game more dependent on user input and expand the possibilities for the path of the ball. It rubber bands to the post or other players much more than it should. Having a ball go into open space is a good thing.

Two: Please trust me to succeed or fail based on an input. If I press Y with the ball in the air in my defensive zone, I want the keeper to come to the ball. He'd better come. If I am defending and the ball is going over the line for a goal kick, do not try and control the ball if I don't pull the trigger. Do not touch if I don't want you too! Do not auto tackle! Do not try and adjust my jump time. Do not high shoot why I low shoot! When I say crowd the keeper, get men in the six yard box!

Solution: Less auto-actions by "controlled" players please!

Three: the worst thing about AI players in this game is the failure to recognize the ball. Too many times you are at the mercy of the auto switch on offense or defense. How many times have we tried to pass to a player, almost hit him with the ball, but since another player has been auto-switched he does not touch the ball? How many defenders fail to recognize an attacking threat? How many midfielders fail to get back and defend on a rush? Why do my rushing players back away the moment there is a shot, and never ever look to contest a rebound or look for a loose ball on a corner?

Solution: do not code to only have one player go for the ball! Multiple players should go for the ball. Aggressiveness on attack or the number of players behind the ball can be adjusted as appropriate. I might not want eight players on defense at the time, but sometimes I do. This problem is why the set piece options are so poor now. Corners are particularly bad.

Comments

• SuPeRz
    858 posts Semi-Pro
    edited November 2017
    Very true. However I think auto-switching on the whole should be separate and reason number one on the list for why gameplay is so bad at times. You have auto-switching set to air balls and it is switching you on ground passes. Sometimes you run a defender perfectly into the path of the ball anticipating an interception only to be autoswtiched off that player to another. Of course the now AI controlled player let's the ball pass right by his feet!!!!

Autoswitching, poor AI awareness and unresponsiveness due to animation locks really mess this game up!!!

PS. Goalkeepers are very inconsistent as well
  • JRSPC3
    13 posts Ball Boy
    You can get many of your desired changes simply by changing to the manual community.

Most obvious example being passing into space.

The problem with the way you and all the top players in the world play the game, is you play default mode.
    This means the computer is playing more than you are.

Learn to play manually and most of these issues go away.
  • JRSPC3 wrote: »
    You can get many of your desired changes simply by changing to the manual community.

Most obvious example being passing into space.

The problem with the way you and all the top players in the world play the game, is you play default mode.
    This means the computer is playing more than you are.

Learn to play manually and most of these issues go away.

I used to be a manual player before FIFA 17, but the engine change really harmed manual in my mind. Especially since the switching mechanics still trump a good manual pass. If you don't switch to the right player the movement of your target will ruin the chance. Manual shoot never made much sense to me and also the reduced trajectory of ball movement still meant a lot of ball that go straight to defenders or the goal frame.
  • JRSPC3
    13 posts Ball Boy
    You can still aplly curve to your shot when playing manual so I'm not sure experience what you mean.