Fifa 18 Career mode has some major flaws

I actually only play FIFA for the single playeer career mode and I must say, FIFA 18 feels like a step back compared to '17. I always enjoy taking a 4th division English team all the way up to the PL. Sadly, there are so major issues with the new features that got added, that it's hurting the SP experience. In some cases these flawed new features are just frustrating, but not gamebreaking, but in other cases they are actually hurting the gameplay big time.

I've been waiting for patches to fix some of the issues, which they should be entirely fixable, but some issues I encountered are purely game design.

Let's start with the first new feature that did nothing but hurt career mode: Squad Hub

First problem with Squad Hub is the attributes tab, which replaced the useful tab of Squad Report - the tab in which you tracked player growth.

For some unknown reason it has been decided to leave out multiple attributes that you should be able to track in the new Squad Hub, like Vision and Strength. Why on earth did those get removed? It is highly annoying not being able to monitor the growth of the youthful talents you incorporate in your main team.

Second annoying thing about squad hub is that it's a mess. Why do we have 4 different tabs when the old system worked just fine? Why is the "contract" page from the 17 career suddenly included in to the '18 squad hub? Having all this stuff in different tabs makes it hard to track all of it and keep it organized. Contracts are part of the manager functions so they should be in either the office tab, or maybe in the transfer tab, definitly not in the squad hub.

There was also nothing wrong with the old transfer system. We used to be able to select whether we wanted to sell or loan out players in one in the transfer window, but now we have to go to squad hub -> financial go to the player and then select the transfer option we want. Same thing with contracts, we now have to go to squad hub -> financial and then pick one of the 2 new options to negotiate contracts (and both those new options are pretty awful additions too, but I'll get to that in a bit).

It seems like EA has tried to bunch all the squad activities together to make it easier to work with, but they have overdone it and now it's messier than ever.

Flawed new addition number 2: Contract negotiations.

There is a major flaw in the contract negotiations as in you can NOT offer a player a full contract of role, wage, contract length. Instead you have to start at role, then go to length and finish it off with the wage. This makes no sense.

For instance, when you work your way up through the leagues, and have a semi-decent youth player with great growth potential, you want to bind him to you for a longer period, to avoid him being poached away by a big club. But, if I want to make him sign a long-term contract I first need to offer him an important role, but that's not always possible to do, because the player still has to grow and I can't afford to player with a much weaker talent, instead of the better & more experienced player. This makes it incredibly hard to hold on to youthfull players.
Now if we could offer a full contract and then negotiate about each part of the contract individually, that would make sense. I could offer that talented player a very good wage IF he's willing to sign for a longer period & agrees to a less important squad role. Being able to offer a full contract would thus actually solve a lot of problems regarding making players stay.

Furthermore, the delegate option for contracts is as useful as Anne Franks drumkit because you can neither influence the contract length nor squad role, just the wage. Having no control over these 2 options makes the delegate option pretty useless.

There are actually more problems with contracts.

Flawed new addition number 3: Promoting Youth Players to your main squad

This baffled me the most out of all things they messed about with from '17. For some infuriating reason I can no longer offer the contract to the youth players when they join the main squad, instead, the game generates a contract for the players automatically, including the squad role?! Now how does this hurt the game?
In my first season I scouted a great goalie. He's now already rated 74 halfway through the 2nd season and does not want to extend his contract for another year due to "wanting a new adventure" (read he's too good). This means that in 1,5 seasons I need to have a good replacement goalie ready to take his place. Luckily for me, I scouted 2 more great goalies with great potential.

To speed up the growth of these 2 goalies I promoted them both to the main squad. Problem is now: They both got the Important role. How is this a problem? Now both are angry as hell, because they only get to play a couple of games this season, and one already requested a transfer that I can not cancel. This means I'm down to 1 goalie and have to search for another good back up goalie when my main goalie, with role crucial goes on his new adventure.

Sure, I could buy a new goalie, but money is limited when you're advancing with a 4th division team and this was just something that should not have happened if only they didn't mess about with the system.

Was there anyone that ever even complained about manually making the contract offers to youth players? I highly doubt it. They literally broke something by trying to fix something that wasn't broken at all.

And one more thing about negiotating:

When we loan a player from another club we have to negotiate about the % of wage we want to take over from the team loaning us that player. But when the player himself wants to loan out a player, there is no such negotiation.

For me, as I try to progress through the leagues, it would be very useful to be able to stall my developping youth players in a league I just promoted out of, so that they get a lot of playtime and grow quickly, yet I can not set the option of loaning out a player for 0, resulting in a massive increase of failed transfers in '18 compared to '17.

It just feels like all these new features are so rushed, not tested and not thought through, creating a very frustrating career mode.

Lack of new addition: Training of certain skills missing

Final point is the lack of being able to train certain skills effectively. Why is there no goalie reaction training? Surely that's part of a normal goalkeepers training IRL.

Why can we still not train strength? Why does stamina not get a massive boost when one of my players is fit as can be and played 50+ matches in a single season? Surely my box-to-box midfielder should have had a bigger stamina boost than +3, taking him from 52 to 55?

Things like these are severely hurting the growth of youth players and are making them less useful. Especially now that acceleration & sprint speed have been slightly nerfed. Strength is more important than ever and we still can not influence it in the career mode, which makes no sense because hitting the gym is seemingly something that every players does once they join the Premier league, for instance.

Fixing this would also make youth player more valuable. Currently the only players that can actually reach their potential are very physical players and/or very fast wingers. Simply because Strength, Speed, Reactions and some other factors cannot be trained and grow very very slowly over the season.

Anways, that's that. There are some other minor things that are annoying, like that latest news takes about 30 seconds to update, it's even harder to track the transfers that take place, and that the scheduling of matches doesn't make sense (I had a league match on tuesday and then an european game on wednesday?), but those are very minor issues compared to the things stated above.

This'll probably be ignored anyway, but atleast I tried.

Comments

• TomAuk
    56 posts Park Captain
    Amen !
  • Great points but sadly FIFA 18 career mode is pretty much dead! EA developers don’t care about it. I’ve gone back to playing 17 again and having a good time with it. Thinking of picking up PES18 when it’s cheap and giving it a go. I was a huge fan of PES when it first came out until FIFA started to crush it.
  • I actually don't mind the new squad hub. Once you get used to it it's pretty easy to use.
    Your dilemma with the 2 young Goalkeepers would probably happen in real life if they both have huge potential but aren't getting enough game time.
    There are alot of frustrations with it though. Career mode used to be all I ever played but I'm in my 3rd season now and getting bored with it. The gameplay against the AI just feels the same every match. I play on legendary but find it quite easy to keep cleansheets.
  • Thatsgold007
    93 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Agree with everything bro but as you said, sadly will be ignored by EA
  • lenny0121 wrote: »
    Your dilemma with the 2 young Goalkeepers would probably happen in real life if they both have huge potential but aren't getting enough game time.

It's not that I know that they aren't getting enough game time - it's that the game decided to give both the "important" role, not allowing me to set them as candidates for the upcoming seasons, but already making them a big part of the main squad. This is just weird.

Normally you'd be able to say "Hey, you're my first back up goalie, and you are my 2nd back up goalie". Now they weren't just fighting to be back-up goalie, they also expected to be featured every other week in the main squad + play time, it's just a mess.
  • CarlAFC88
    28 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels this way the best thing I think they've done with career mode is adding the cut scenes when negotiating with other clubs but that's even getting boring now the Squad hub I can use and understand it but the other way as you described is much easier but after 3rd season of career mode and it's boring games play out in the same way even on legendary the only problem I have is not keeping clean sheets it's always 1 shot 1 goal with the AI but I will definitely be moving to PES18 played the demo it is much better then FIFA in every way graphics gameplay and you can play the way you want simple fact EA don't care and don't listen to there fans and never fix problems that we want fixing instead they create more problems every time they update it FIFA'S DEAD WITH THIS but worse thing and most annoying thing is this game had the potential to be great
  • Jup im also glad im not the only one! I filed a bug report on the 9th of november about not seeing some of the stats at the Squad Hub like Strength and Vision. My report got closed 2 hours later without any response. So a couple of minutes ago FIFA was updated and I thought oh well maybe it has been fixed but nope... Also, you cant see your GK stats in the Squad Hub aswell, only the regular stats like normal players. I dont even care about those stats? I really don't see why these things are not being picked up. They seem like super easy fixes?
  • Fifa 18 career mode is riddled with so many bugs it’s a joke such a shame as I used to enjoy playing it and it had so much potential to be a great game, but with FUT and them earning extra income from that the career mode got a couple of added features with the cut scenes and a shed load of bugs to go with it so career mode is dead. sort it out EA!
  • Mindphaser
    337 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited December 2017
    Yeah I came here after a while to check if they fixed any of these issues . Turns out EA didn't bother to do anything. Just as I'm not bothering with FIFA anymore - 18 is the last one i buy.
  • JonnyMac
    1 posts Ball Boy
    edited December 2017
    I couldn't agree with you more Helplessdeer!! I also have issues when I am playing the Career Mode as a player. You design the face of the player and there is no photo displaying when you pause the match or comes to the end of the match and they show the highlights. I am very disappointed with EA Sports at the moment! They seem to focus on the other part of the game so they can make more money. This year so far they made US$4,8 billion!! I think that it is enough money to focus in the whole game all together!! Greedy b*st*rds
  • Hmm, if you can form your points into suggestions for future micro-transactions that would be more helpful, then EA might want to listen.
  • I agree with the first sentence!
  • Hmm, if you can form your points into suggestions for future micro-transactions that would be more helpful, then EA might want to listen.

After the whole Star Wars Battlefront drama, this hit a little too close to home :pensive:

But I don't think it's just an EA problem, it's an industry problem. It's no longer about creating good games, it's all about the profit. If you read the responses from the devs on their reddit AMA, it was clearly a corporate decision to add the pay-to-win boxes. The devs wanted to make a good game (and quite frankly, they did a pretty decent job), but a profit-maximizing decision was made by the publisher, which not only hurt the devs game, but also hurt the face of the corporation... temporarily at least.

Only thing we as consumers can do is just ignore the games that have all these micro transactions, but that won't work, cause all the parents will still buy FIFA for their kids for christmas, new year or whatever holiday they celebrate.
  • gxcpl
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 26
    I agree... This year’s carrer mode is a big step back!
    The new negotiation system is awful! I can’t even offer a player I don’t want anymore to other teams. I can only wait for some offer (that will fail 90% of the time) or cancel their contracts. I can’t even offer them to a weaker team just to avoid they complaining during all the season... And I agree the menus make it worse! Now I have to search again for a player I already have on shortlist to start scouting him again! Before we could do it straight from shortlist menu!

Basically, every team “is not willing to loan this player right now”, but the next day they loan the same player to a CPU’s team. Actually, every player I start to scout CPU comes and steal him first.

The negotiations are boring and extremely restrictive. Not fun AT ALL.

And the contract bugs are overwhelming... Sooooo many bugs! I negotiated a transfer but there was no option to negotiate with the player. A few days later he was “disappointed with me” and instantly signed with another team! I couldn’t do ANYTHING but watch it happen...

Not to mention all the gameplay bugs... Fouls not being called, sliding tackle fouls and no yellow card, gk holding balls that came by defenders kicks (or even themselves! I’ll post a video...). And that shtty bug when there’s an offside and the camera doesn’t even focus the player ready to kick the ball back to the gane.

REALLY disappointed... Too bad PES are still a lot of steps behind with the licenses. They could steal a lot of disappointed players, like they did in the past...
  • gxcpl
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Oh, and I think FUT is total garbage! I think it’s such a dumb mode... blargh
  • EA please fix the transfer issue in my player career, i get no offers what so ever 84 rated player and top scorer like wtf??? Get your money out your ear and listen to the feedback ffs
  • IT IS SO HARD TO SCORE PENALTY IN FIFA AGAINST COMPUTER!! I miss like 70% of the time in penalty against computer!! EA you have to fix it!!!!
  • I agree career mode has step back from Fifa 17 ..
    Player progress has issues ..

1- Free kick training gold training challenge is become impossible ..
    I had to do simulation only .. because become hard ..especially if your free kick accuracy is in 60s

2-Some features are blocked like jumping heading and heading winning

Any one has solution to these problems .. please advise.

• Taavinho wrote: »
    IT IS SO HARD TO SCORE PENALTY IN FIFA AGAINST COMPUTER!! I miss like 70% of the time in penalty against computer!! EA you have to fix it!!!!

I aim to the keeper's left, then as I'm about to run up (after I've powered the shot up) swing the aim to his right... Seems to send keeper the wrong way majority of times.
  • Negotiations breaking down when you've accepted an offer for a player - a real pain in the arse when you're trying to clean out the dead wood in your squad.
    Dr_roha wrote: »
    I agree career mode has step back from Fifa 17 ..
    Player progress has issues ..

1- Free kick training gold training challenge is become impossible ..
    I had to do simulation only .. because become hard ..especially if your free kick accuracy is in 60s

2-Some features are blocked like jumping heading and heading winning

Any one has solution to these problems .. please advise.

Free kicks just a nightmare in general - it was penalties in 17, obviously free-kicks this year... Corners next year?

• KevinT
    22 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Interesting to read... I have only played Mobile since 2012 and I miss career mode (last seen in 2014). In Mobile they force you to play Attack. Which is rigged against you much like what you see when you score early.
  • Scoobs1904
    10 posts Ball Boy
    I also only play career mode, I am currently on about my 30th season (currently Exeter), and on the whole I like the gameplay. But what irritates me is that there are so many aspects that, while they sound like a good idea, just don't work in practice. It seems that the developers had a big meeting where they proposed changes (not improvements on the whole) and implemented the ones that sounded good, but then didn't have the time/budget/interest to actual properly test the gameplay. I have been making a list while I play but to be honest I really don't believe Fifa have any real interest in developing the SP mode as it not a cash cow for them. I don't know how many people buy the game for SP but I'm sure that their research has shown that its not enough to worry about. Many of the issues could easily be sorted, and the vast majority of posts on here agree. But there has been no patch of note for career mode. We all just wait for 19 (or 20) to see if the issues have been addressed. However, I am sure there will be changes and new things, but they won't have been fully tested by gamers outside of Fifa, and we will all be complaining to deaf ears next year about the same or different issues. It is such a shame as the Career Mode could easily be outstanding and put Fifa on a whole different level. But there is no real competition because of the trademark issues etc. I'm sure I will buy 19, but I won't buy it new, so Fifa will lose my £50, but will they care about that. Absolutely not, because it won't even make a scratch.