Ultimate difficulty

Ohma
36 posts Last Pick at the Park
Why is this not an option when playing career mode? Why only put it inside FUT? It doesn´t make any sense!!!

Don´t you guys want to provide a real challenge for offline players? Or have you stopped caring about career mode aficionados entirely?

You program an Ultimate AI, but don´t put it inside the major offline mode in the game. Absolutely ridiculous.

Comments

• TomAuk
    56 posts Park Captain
    I think if i played on ultimate i would smash something as AI are frustrating enough on Legendary i.e last minute goals.
  • milan_7
    336 posts Sunday League Hero
    TomAuk wrote: »
    I think if i played on ultimate i would smash something as AI are frustrating enough on Legendary i.e last minute goals.
    Not trying to sound lie I am bragging but legendary is too easy IMO, and I think a lot of people I know agree.
  • Ohma
    milan_7 wrote: »
    Not trying to sound lie I am bragging but legendary is too easy IMO, and I think a lot of people I know agree.

Exactly. Legendary in Fifa 17 was ridiculously easy. You could basically smash the AI whenever you wanted (I am playing with full manual settings btw). The thread "Why is legendary too easy" from last year is proof that many many people feel the same.

It´s just **** to program an Ultimate difficulty, but not include it in career mode. It should be very easy to offer that option. Career mode should be a challenge, whenever I feel I can win whenever I want, that´s when the game is not a game anymore.
  • TomAuk
    56 posts Park Captain

I must admit i generally get promoted from league 2 to prem in consecutive seasons playing on legendary, defo for the last few years.
    Still adjusting to the gameplay atm but i'm sure it will be similar this year so Ultimate would be a nice option to have.
  • Danic123
    1114 posts Professional
    I agree with the comments made. Legendary is too easy after a while. For more seasoned players, almost immidiately.

You can change the sliders if you want to make it more difficult mind, but I agree you shouldn't have too. I like winning so don't alter the sliders, but it's an option if you want it.

Fwiw, Ultimate difficulty doesn't seem too much an upgrade on legendary anyway.
  • I’ll just stay over here in my corner playing on semipro/professional...
  • Ohma
    The major problem with the AI is that it´s not adapting to how you play. So when you find a weakness (and believe me, you WILL eventually), you can pretty much exploit that weakeness game after game. From then on, every game becomes the same.
  • Momalpas123
    192 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Ohma wrote: »

Exactly. Legendary in Fifa 17 was ridiculously easy. You could basically smash the AI whenever you wanted (I am playing with full manual settings btw). The thread "Why is legendary too easy" from last year is proof that many many people feel the same.

It´s just **** to program an Ultimate difficulty, but not include it in career mode. It should be very easy to offer that option. Career mode should be a challenge, whenever I feel I can win whenever I want, that´s when the game is not a game anymore.

So are you confirming legendary is p1ss easy again this year? If so, not buying.
  • Cooler08
    351 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited September 22
    If EA do make the CPU challenging, they will make the CPU players press hard constantly when your on the ball, the CPU GK will make super human saves and their players will pass the ball around at a high tempo with great accuracy and they'll be ultra clinical in front of goal. Or the rubberbanding will kick in and your players will become lethargic, lose the ability to pass fluidily, make off the ball runs or shoot with accuracy. In other words, it won't feel natural or realistic.

• Momalpas123
    Cooler08 wrote: »
    If EA do make the CPU challenging, they will make the CPU players press hard constantly when your on the ball, the CPU GK will make super human saves and their players will pass the ball around at a high tempo with great accuracy and they'll be ultra clinical in front of goal. Or the rubberbanding will kick in and your players will lose the ability to pass fluidily, make off the ball runs or shoot with accuracy. In other words, it won't feel natural or realistic.

No, I think last year was as much to do with how easy it was to take the ball off the CPU & How often they would give it away than anything. None of us are playing a 90 minute game so naturally you're condensing much of that action to 8 minute halves or something to that effect. This means CPU should be much more effective on the ball and a real challenge to dispossess.

In reality, its simple. Fifa 16 was not easy on legendary for most. Fifa 17 was. If there is no option to play on a challenging level again I wont buy. So just looking for that feedback.
  • Ohma
    edited September 23

So are you confirming legendary is p1ss easy again this year? If so, not buying.

No, I have only questioned why Ultimate difficulty is not included in career mode. Irregardless of Legendary in Fifa 18 being a challenge or not.

With that said, I have now tested Legendary difficulty for 10-15 games (with full manual settings), in the full game (with EA Access) and here is my verdict (at least so far):

- Attacking AI in FIFA 17 was beyond horrible. I could concede zero goals whenever I wanted. This year...is very different. I have played games with 5 star teams and being smashed 0-3, 0-4, even 0-5. In one game I was very clumsy with the ball in midfield, lost it and was punished instantly. The AI attacks and will punish you if you make mistakes. It is very eager to score. It can be frustrating sometimes, because they use one-touch very often. It´s a lot harder to read the AI, and predict what it will do in attack. It can be very difficult to recapture the ball, at least against 4-5 star teams.

- AI attacking pressure is also much improved. In previous FIFA´s, I have always felt way too comfortable with the ball. In FIFA 18, they will often mark you hard and try to take the ball from you if you relax. Passing the ball around requires more skill (manual settings), passes feel more manual so to speak. And the ball does not stick to you like glue, like in previous versions of the game. It´s not perfect, but it feels a lot more natural this year.

- Defensive AI is also improved. Last year was ridiculous, I could basically run on the flanks and score whenever I wanted. Anytime a defender lost its marking or position, you had an opened path to goal, because other defenders would not cover up for their mistakes. In this year, they follow you hard, they pressure you on the ball, on the flanks. And often it´s a 2-3 man pressure, not a one man pressure, making it even harder to find spaces. You need to be quick making decisions, in order to create something.

I need to play more games, maybe I find a weakness soon, but overall...Legendary this year is promising. Legendary last year was amateur. I use to find AI weaknesses quickly in previous FIFA´s, but haven´t so far found any that completely destroys the fun and challenge with the game. So far so good.

But don´t take my word for it, test the demo, or even better, test the full game with EA access if you can.

• Saviro
    209 posts Has Potential To Be Special

No, I have only questioned why Ultimate difficulty is not included in career mode. Irregardless of Legendary in Fifa 18 being a challenge or not.

With that said, I have now tested Legendary difficulty for 10-15 games (with full manual settings), in the full game (with EA Access) and here is my verdict (at least so far):

- Attacking AI in FIFA 17 was beyond horrible. I could concede zero goals whenever I wanted. This year...is very different. I have played games with 5 star teams and being smashed 0-3, 0-4, even 0-5. In one game I was very clumsy with the ball in midfield, lost it and was punished instantly. The AI attacks and will punish you if you make mistakes. It is very eager to score. It can be frustrating sometimes, because they use one-touch very often. It´s a lot harder to read the AI, and predict what it will do in attack. It can be very difficult to recapture the ball, at least against 4-5 star teams.

- AI attacking pressure is also much improved. In previous FIFA´s, I have always felt way too comfortable with the ball. In FIFA 18, they will often mark you hard and try to take the ball from you if you relax. Passing the ball around requires more skill (manual settings), passes feel more manual so to speak. And the ball does not stick to you like glue, like in previous versions of the game. It´s not perfect, but it feels a lot more natural this year.

- Defensive AI is also improved. Last year was ridiculous, I could basically run on the flanks and score whenever I wanted. Anytime a defender lost its marking or position, you had an opened path to goal, because other defenders would not cover up for their mistakes. In this year, they follow you hard, they pressure you on the ball, on the flanks. And often it´s a 2-3 man pressure, not a one man pressure, making it even harder to find spaces. You need to be quick making decisions, in order to create something.

I need to play more games, maybe I find a weakness soon, but overall...Legendary this year is promising. Legendary last year was amateur. I use to find AI weaknesses quickly in previous FIFA´s, but haven´t so far found any that completely destroys the fun and challenge with the game. So far so good.

But don´t take my word for it, test the demo, or even better, test the full game with EA access if you can.
    • There's like zero tactical impact in FIFA , every team plays the same .
    • There's zero physical contact , AI pressures but if you just dribble around they don't recover their positions.
    • There's zero defensive compactness , as in real life teams look to stay compact and move down/up the field very compact as a team and covering their positions . Also the attackers just won't defend at all , as a result they leave HUGE gaps in the midfield which makes it very easy to move the ball straight forward .
    • If you notice in FIFA 17(not sure if they fixed this) but in throw ins , noone gets near to defend like at all , defeding positioning is a mess in FIFA.
  • Ohma
    Just tested this and yes, it seems as if there are quite large gaps between midfield and defenders overall, leaving you with opportunities for long shots, which btw seem a bit overpowered. Hope this isnt the dealbreaker. They have better positioning on the flanks though, which I could exploit last year.

Maybe this could be fixed in the sliders settings, but obviously, it could potentially make the AI worse in some other way.

The thing is, once I get comfortable with the game and how it plays, problems and weak AI spots are often revealed. And that tend to ruin the game. Some AI defensive compactness and maybe even more aggression could be useful.
  • Legendary is easy, but play superstar on pes. Youll soon prefer fifas legendary
  • Ohma
    Legendary in Fifa 18, with manual settings, is definitely way more challenging than in Fifa 17. Out of around 20 games played so far I have won 4 and lost 16. In FIfa 17, the statistics would be 20 wins, 0 losses, zero goals conceded.

Maybe I just suck atm and will find some weak spots. I remember that Fifa 17 at first felt challenging but became **** easy after a while. But so far I haven´t experienced that with Fifa 18. It should be happening by now.

6 hours left with EA acccess. Still some time left to explore how good or bad the AI really is.

• Momalpas123
    Appreciate the feedback Ohma, sounds really promising. There are typically a few areas you can exploit when attacking which suck but to be honest, I choose just not to use them if they are egregious. The biggest issue last year was that the AI on legendary could not string enough possession together when they have the ball and exploit your mistakes. Id win 10 out of 10 games by a couple of goals to zero. The AI would try killer passes too soon and would never come off. Some times just gifting the ball back to you.

If youre sayiung the AI is more ruthless, thats massively encouraging.!
  • Ohma
    edited September 26
    You can be absolutely certain that the attacking AI will exploit opportunities to score. On legendary. If you lose the ball in a dangerous position, they will exploit that. So you need to be careful where you lose the ball, which means that you can´t relax . This is especially a challenge when playing with manual settings, obviously. I have played too many games now to know for certain that the attacking AI is not dumb. Sometimes it can be frustrating because they will use a lot of one-touch, so you need to be careful not to rush on them, since that will create open spaces for them and you will be out-played. I have also conceded many goals from long shots, so if you give them that opportunity, be prepared to be punished.

Obviously it´s not absolutely perfect in every sense, but compared to Fifa 17, the attacking AI is maybe 10 times more difficult to defend against. Keeping a clean sheet is definitely a challenge. I have only kept a clean sheet for 3 games so far.

• Momalpas123
    You can be absolutely certain that the attacking AI will exploit opportunities to score. On legendary. If you lose the ball in a dangerous position, they will exploit that. So you need to be careful where you lose the ball, which means that you can´t relax . This is especially a challenge when playing with manual settings, obviously. I have played too many games now to know for certain that the attacking AI is not dumb. Sometimes it can be frustrating because they will use a lot of one-touch, so you need to be careful not to rush on them, since that will create open spaces for them and you will be out-played. I have also conceded many goals from long shots, so if you give them that opportunity, be prepared to be punished.

Obviously it´s not absolutely perfect in every sense, but compared to Fifa 17, the attacking AI is maybe 10 times more difficult to defend against. Keeping a clean sheet is definitely a challenge. I have only kept a clean sheet for 3 games so far.

Thank you Ohma, I'll be buying the game! the attackng AI was the biggest issue I had with it last year. If its improved, then at the very least I'll be able to find settings that are workable. Whether it has to be manual or otherwise.
  • Cooler08
    351 posts Sunday League Hero
    Appreciate the feedback Ohma, sounds really promising. There are typically a few areas you can exploit when attacking which suck but to be honest, I choose just not to use them if they are egregious. The biggest issue last year was that the AI on legendary could not string enough possession together when they have the ball and exploit your mistakes. Id win 10 out of 10 games by a couple of goals to zero. The AI would try killer passes too soon and would never come off. Some times just gifting the ball back to you.

In FIFA 17, when you played a season on Legendary, what was the league table like at the end of the season in terms of W/D/L?

• Momalpas123

In FIFA 17, when you played a season on Legendary, what was the league table like at the end of the season in terms of W/D/L?

Fifa 17 was the fist version of Fifa that I didnt complete a full season. I got through 20 games in one season completely unbeaten before trying full manual, messing with sliders and basically getting very annoyed. I packed it in after the second update and played FM all year.

Getting game today and am hopeful for sure.
  • Cooler08 wrote: »

Fifa 17 was the fist version of Fifa that I didnt complete a full season. I got through 20 games in one season completely unbeaten before trying full manual, messing with sliders and basically getting very annoyed. I packed it in after the second update and played FM all year.

I have exactly the same problem.

For the first year, i'm not sure if i'll be buying Fifa because legendary is too easy. I have Fifa 17, but played it just a few times and didn't even start a carrer. For me, there was no challenge in the game.

I love to play Carrer Mode, not Ultimate. So, if this problem persists, there's no reason to buy 2018 version. I've tried PES 2018 demo, but felt it was even easier. And i had bad impressions of FIFA 18 demo.

If you've already played the full version, could you tell me your impressions about legendary? Is CPU able to score at least one goal per game? hahahaha

Thank you!
  • Momalpas123

For the first year, i'm not sure if i'll be buying Fifa because legendary is too easy. I have Fifa 17, but played it just a few times and didn't even start a carrer. For me, there was no challenge in the game.

I love to play Carrer Mode, not Ultimate. So, if this problem persists, there's no reason to buy 2018 version. I've tried PES 2018 demo, but felt it was even easier. And i had bad impressions of FIFA 18 demo.

If you've already played the full version, could you tell me your impressions about legendary? Is CPU able to score at least one goal per game? hahahaha

Thank you!

I think Ohmas feedback is encouraging, will try to update how it plays tonight.
  • mkunited
    27 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited September 29
    I've

definitely recommend using custom gameplay sliders. There are some people that have spent countless hours testing out the different sliders and settings like Matt10L. He hasn't posted customs sliders for fifa 18 yet.

Thank you!

I've played career mode on fifa 18's beta. It was definitely too easy. On legendary, I quit my career mode with Man United after winning 25 games in a row. This was the beta and maybe the full game has changed with the new patches though.

I would definitely consider using custom sliders. There are some people that have spent countless hours and created really good custom sliders. After using Matt10L's custom sliders, Fifa 17's career mode became more entertaining. The sliders/settings slowed the game and made first touch/passing worse in a good realistic way. The AI attacking also improved.
  • Georginho38
    121 posts Has Potential To Be Special

I was a World Class player usually but this year I'm smashing it in Legendary averaging 4 goals a game . Disappointing as I expected to hardly finish top 5 with struggle and am winning the league easily over PSG on first season. Also signed for free Leno, A.Herrera and A.Sanchez on January for next June with almost no negotiation. Too unlikely to be pleasant.
  • Ohma
    edited September 30
    In Fifa 17, my career mode stats, before I stopped playing, were: 16 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses, 1 goals conceded.

Now, in Fifa 18, my stats so far are: 3 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses, 10 goals conceded. Maybe my style of play makes Fifa 18 harder for me atm and over time I will realize how to consistently beat the AI game after game, but honestly, I doubt it. When I lose the ball in dangerous situations they often take advantage of that.

I wish the defensive AI were a little bit more compact, between defenders and midfielders. But overall, they are a lot more aggressive than in Fifa 17. At least I am not comfortable with holding possession during the last 1/3 of the pitch. Which is most important. So I am happy atm, it provides my with a sufficient challenge. Hopefully it stays like that over time.

Even though the game provides me with a sufficient challenge atm, I am not that impressed by the way it plays: passes still feel too robotic, it has that 12 year old ping-pongy feel at times, even on manual settings. And I like a simulation feel. PES 2018 is incredibly at providing me that, but unfortunately it lacks in the challenge department.
  • gocdmb
    24 posts Last Pick at the Park

That's what I don't understand. Some players are complaining that the Defensive AI is too easy while others, like myself, think it is WAY TOO OP!!. I'm a Career Mode player and have been playing on Legendary for over 2 years. Now, I cannot even get a shot off on Legendary!! I had to go all the way down to Professional before I pulled my hair out!! This has to be some kind of quality control or testing issue. There shouldn't be such a huge gap between players opinions on the Defensive AI.
  • Sk Rapid Wien 1899
    94 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    If EA do make the CPU challenging, they will make the CPU players press hard constantly when your on the ball, the CPU GK will make super human saves and their players will pass the ball around at a high tempo with great accuracy and they'll be ultra clinical in front of goal. Or the rubberbanding will kick in and your players will become lethargic, lose the ability to pass fluidily, make off the ball runs or shoot with accuracy. In other words, it won't feel natural or realistic.

That's it ...
    because, what does a harder difficulty mean normal in any computer game ?

THE "AI" STARTS TO CHEAT like hell and that isn't fun ...
    it isn't fun for me, if I have a speed 90 player, that a CPU player with speed 50 is faster.

But how realistic is an adapting "AI" nowadays ?
    NOT a single strategy game could offer that, if it would be possible , I am sure they would use it !

So the OP means, he wants a more cheating setting, but this could be done with the sliders, so no need to invest DEV time for that task, because it isn't possible !
  • Sk Rapid Wien 1899
    94 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    gocdmb wrote: »

That's what I don't understand. Some players are complaining that the Defensive AI is too easy while others, like myself, think it is WAY TOO OP!!. I'm a Career Mode player and have been playing on Legendary for over 2 years. Now, I cannot even get a shot off on Legendary!! I had to go all the way down to Professional before I pulled my hair out!! This has to be some kind of quality control or testing issue. There shouldn't be such a huge gap between players opinions on the Defensive AI.

Maybe it is because of ONLINE and OFFLINE, most strategy games are terrible, when you play ONLINE, as they aren't able to use the data for calculation to send in time between all players ... so "HARD" Online is there somehow "EASY" Offline , that is why I only use NON CHEATING settings and hope it is still fun :-)
  • Momalpas123
    first full weekend on the game. Legendary is 100% the same p1ss easy difficulty it was last year. I even tried full manual with CPU pass error set to 1 and still absolutely ridiculous how easy it is to defend on this game. The CPU goes for too many killer passes which end up just giving possession back to me. I'm once again leading the league in defending, with just a couple of goals allowed.

So look, I'm not mad, whatever, I went through all of this last year and am not going to get frustrated anymore. I will pickup PES for the first time... ever and continue to look in to the forum to see if EA fixes this in a future update.

Its genuinely inconceivable to me that there is no way for experienced offline players to play auto, manual or otherwise against the CPU without a challenging game. It was a real challenge for everyone on legendary before Fifa 17... and now its a joke.

I'll keep checking in but it's clear Career Mode is done. They made a couple small aesthetical adds which are pretty inconsequential to the overall experience. Thats basically it.

It would be helpful frankly if they'd just do away with CM since they so clearly dont give a care for offline players anymore. Anything otherwise is essentially like false advertising.

shame.
  • Momalpas123

Thank you!

Can confirm, same as last year. Up to you but might want to wait for an update and more feedback.