FIFA 18 Starhead Thread.

RollsReus
1209 posts Professional
edited April 15
STARHEAD THREAD

Ladies and Gentleman, for the 7th consecutive year, it is time again for the latest edition of the FIFA Starhead Thread. The annual, most popular thread on the entire forum. For the second year in-a-row since moving to the new forum website, we managed to breach 1 million views - showing how in-demand our desire for the latest instalment to be delivered with our deafening demands is.

As has become tradition, this thread will be the hub for starhead news from all need-be aesthetic fans who arrive from all corners of the internet to find out what is going on in regards to faces we can expect to see in FIFA 18. We're lucky enough to have a community of dedicated users who show up year-in, year-out to post and add to the discussion and often have our very own detectives who find out any news before we hear officially from official news outlets. I can truly say that this thread wouldn't be what it has become without the passion from our community and that I believe many of the big breakthroughs we have received in recent years is as the result of our loud demands being heard.

Naturally we will have new users coming into this thread for the first time, who are very welcome to become part of the discussion. To you, we say that we are well aware that there's on-going problems with FIFA and that graphics can't be the main focus on the development team, but there is enough threads for these situations. This thread is committed to just one side of the title, something that has their own team for, so we ask that you respect our place and don't post for arguments sake.

Also, it's worth checking out our own thread resident @VapexKarma's YouTube channel as he routinely posts videos showcasing many different aspects of player faces plus other content such as FIFA vs PES face comparisons, other aesthetics such as manager faces as well as career mode series. With a steady subscriber base, he's a good outlet for the community!

That said, as always, there are rules to be stuck by:

[*]This thread is for player face discussion only, for discussion of everything else to do with FIFA 18 please use other more appropriate threads.
[*]Please use the Off Topic section to discuss PES. A small amount of PES face discussion is allowed in here but only for comparison purposes. Anything else/excessive PES face discussion will be removed.
[*]We understand graphics aren't everyone's cup of tea. Please be aware that we also want gameplay updates and fixes but this thread is solely just for starheads. EA have numerous departments working on different aspects of the game. There are gameplay-specific threads for you to air your thoughts.
[*]Please do not quote posts that include numerous pics, nor create quote chains.
[*]Please be respectful of everyone's opinion. Arguing for the sake of arguing will get us nowhere.

With that said, here's to a longer year, friendos!
Post edited by RollsReus on

Comments

• RollsReus
    1209 posts Professional
    edited April 15
    For those of you who are not familiar with what a starhead is, it occurs when a team is dispatched by EA to a football clubs training facilities where they sit the team down in their makeshift studio to take a number of photos in which - over time - they are applied to a players' in-game face. The results are quite outstanding.

There are 4 different types of faces in FIFA. They are the following:-

Scanned
    when a player receives the treatment mentioned above.

juv-dybala-lg.jpg

Starhead
    When a team sent by EA take multiple pictures with one camera to apply to players' in-game counterpart.

a-picture-of-zlatan-ibrahimovic-in-fifa-17.jpg

Custom
    when the players' in-game is designed by the graphics team without the aide of a photoshoot.

CqK6mm-WgAAPyK8.jpg

Generic
    when a player has a in-game face that is modelled on them without going into great detail.

nainggolan.jpg
  • RollsReus
    1209 posts Professional
    edited April 15
    FIFA 17
    Bayern Munchen
    Inter Milan
    2016/2017 Premier League (rescan)
    Juventus (rescan)
    Additions to the Women's roster

FIFA 16
    2014/2015 Barclays Premier League (rescan)
    Bournemouth
    Watford
    Norwich
    Real Madrid
    FC Barcelona (rescan)
    Entire Women's Roster
    Paris Saint Germain (rescan)
    Olympique de Marseille (rescan)
    Olympique Lyonnais (rescan)
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

FIFA 15
    2013/2014 Barclays Premier League (minus Fulham and Cardiff City)
    Leicester City
    Burnley
    QPR

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
    USA National Team

FIFA 14
    Lille OSC
    Olympique de Marseille (rescan)
    Olympique Lyonnais (rescan)
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Everton
    Newcastle (rescan)
    Borussia Dortmund
    Atletico Madrid
    FC Barcelona
    Liverpool
    Aston Villa (rescan)
    AC Milan (rescan)
    Arsenal (rescan)
    Chelsea (rescan)
    German National Team (rescan)
    Valencia (rescan)

FIFA 13
    Hamburger
    Valencia
    Germany National Team(rescan)
    Manchester City (rescan)
    Chelsea (rescan)

FIFA 12
    Aston Villa
    Newcastle United
    Manchester City
    AC Milan
    Germany National Team
    Olympique de Marseille
    Paris Saint Germain
    Vancouver Whitecaps

FIFA 11
    Juventus
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Bordeaux

Top teams that are in desperate need of treatment

VFL Wolfsburg, Schalke 04, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, RB Leipzig, Sevilla, Paris Saint Germain (rescan), AS Monaco, Lazio, Fiorentina, Napoli, A.S Roma, AC Milan (rescan), FC Porto, Benfica, Sporting C P, Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe, Beşiktaş, Zenit Saint Petersburg, R.S.C Anderlecht. It would also be awesome to get some National Team scans like we used to with the German National Team.
  • Ajaxamsterdam
    142 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Let's hope for a year with many real faces!
  • VapexKarma
    95 posts Park Captain
    That time of year again!
  • ChrisW1991
    279 posts Sunday League Hero
    I hope they don't let us down with star heads again, the demand is surely too high to ignore? We definitely at least need scans for the whole of La Liga and Bundesliga, for me that would be amazing aswell as a prem re scan which we know about
  • Pwalie86
    214 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Frostbite probably took up most their time last year so this year I would expect many more starheads and scanned players. 4K is going more mainstream now so generics will look worse. If you're playing on Scorpio this year then you want players to look their best.

Think we already know about Swansea being scanned again which will be good for the Championship (ha we're getting relegated.)
  • Futbol22
    464 posts Sunday League Hero
    Cheers @RollsReus for kicking this year off. Looking forward to the highs & lows of this edition.

As Roma would be great among many others!
  • Steph3998
    1042 posts Professional
    I'm expecting nothing this year, last year was a huge disappointment to be honest :disappointed:
  • GlennMufc
    223 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hoping for something really different this year and not the usual 2-3 teams scanned ! @Rolls-reus96 cheers for the new set up hoping for a good year
  • nyx88
    1119 posts Professional
    Steph3998 wrote: »
    I'm expecting nothing this year, last year was a huge disappointment to be honest :disappointed:

Agreed. I hope for big news but expectations are very low.
    Pwalie86 wrote: »
    Frostbite probably took up most their time last year so this year I would expect many more starheads and scanned players. 4K is going more mainstream now so generics will look worse. If you're playing on Scorpio this year then you want players to look their best.

Think we already know about Swansea being scanned again which will be good for the Championship (ha we're getting relegated.)

Yes Swansea is confirmed.

Infos/Leaks we have so far:

■ Confirmed scans
    ▪ Confirmed scans wihtout knowing when it happened.
    ● rumoured scans

▪ .2017 Toronto FC
    ■10.02.2017 Manchester City
    ■07.03.2017 Burnley FC
    ■30.03.2017 Swansea
    ■06.05.2017 Hull City

Toronto fc
    scan_giovinco_fifa_18-576x1024.jpg
    Man.City

Burnley
    BPOIc1p.jpg
    Swansea
    C8LOJkDXkAAZiZt?format=jpg&name=large
    Capture Lab Timeline for Fifa 17:

■ 5.03.2016 Chelsea London
    ■ Around 9.03.2016 Norway Woman in ROTTERDAM for Olympic Qualifiers
    ▪ Between 25.03.-30.04. Juventus Turin
    ■ Around 4.05.2016 Leicester City
    ■ 5.08.2016 Middlesbrough
    ■ 8.08.2016 Hull City
    ▪ Between 25.07. and 24.08.2016 Stoke City
    ■ 31.08.2016 Adidas Event London
    ■ 2.09.2016 Wembley Cup

• RollsReus
    1209 posts Professional
    To the guys thanking me; don't worry about it. I only make the threads, It's you guys that maintain it.

I was thinking the same (about 4k) this year. A lot of texture differences on faces and body types. Hoping we get a bit more this year.

On the topic of Swansea possibly going down -- kinda related cos of Gary Monk -- I hope Leeds get promoted and would look forward to them and Brighton being scanned.
  • Futbol22
    edited April 16
    EA should definitely make sure they make a starhead for Belotti. Would be a travesty if they didn't. No Serie A or La Liga treatment this year....
  • ChrisW1991
    279 posts Sunday League Hero
    Futbol22 wrote: »
    EA should definitely make sure they make a starhead for Belotti. Would be a travesty if they didn't. No Serie A or La Liga treatment this year....

I think with Real Madrid having a deal with EA they need a re-scan in fifa 18 for players like Asensio, Kovacic, Casemiro ect
  • nyx88
    1119 posts Professional

You THINK no La Liga or Serie A treatment or do you KNOW something? :)

EA has to improve now in terms of graphics. With 4k becoming a topic more and more and new more powerful consoles on the market they just can't keep all the generics in the game.
    I watched the Final of the virtual Bundesliga today. It was streamed live by a big german sports tv broadcaster. And in all honesty. How emberrassing for ea. What an arcady ping pong gameplay. This isn't football anymore. And very few players (only bundesliga players used) had real faces. The game looked just poor - oh and the games were played in a generic stadium of course.
  • Futbol22
    nyx88 wrote: »

You THINK no La Liga or Serie A treatment or do you KNOW something? :)

EA has to improve now in terms of graphics. With 4k becoming a topic more and more and new more powerful consoles on the market they just can't keep all the generics in the game.
    I watched the Final of the virtual Bundesliga today. It was streamed live by a big german sports tv broadcaster. And in all honesty. How emberrassing for ea. What an arcady ping pong gameplay. This isn't football anymore. And very few players (only bundesliga players used) had real faces. The game looked just poor - oh and the games were played in a generic stadium of course.

Almost certain EPL deal prevents EA from being able to give as much attention to opposing leagues. EPL is branding itself as the most accessible, entertaining, competitive etc. & they would not sign a deal with EA unless there was some limitations on what EA can do with other leagues. The EPL is using every outlet to forward their product.

The "La Liga deal" that was announced last summer was just a "dog & pony show".....

• ManzGOTIT
    1449 posts Professional
    Nice nice as always it's a start of hopefully something big...keyword there is hopefully

Didn't join the ending of the last star head thread but it's good to see that everyone is disappointed with EA and realizing that PES is doing an arguably better job and FUT has ruined FIFA

FIFA 18 needs to step up otherwise it is horrible news for the franchise
  • Pwalie86
    RollsReus wrote: »
    To the guys thanking me; don't worry about it. I only make the threads, It's you guys that maintain it.

I was thinking the same (about 4k) this year. A lot of texture differences on faces and body types. Hoping we get a bit more this year.

On the topic of Swansea possibly going down -- kinda related cos of Gary Monk -- I hope Leeds get promoted and would look forward to them and Brighton being scanned.

I grew up near Leeds and I've wanted them to return to Premier League for many years now. With Garry Monk as boss they simply HAVE to get promoted!

I still think that the first year on Frostbite they decided not to spend as much time on scans and even stadiums to just focus on getting the game running. I'm not sure how it all works as I'm not a tech person, but everytime Fifa has a new engine the first year always seems a bit barren. Fifa 07 if I remember correctly only had 6-8 leagues on Xbox 360 version.

Found out there were even less stadiums than normal as well, so there's hope they will go all out this year. Can you imagine generics in 4K? :D Because not just resolution but textures as well.

• ShaunBrunskill
    576 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited April 17
    Ahhhh. Nice to see my Neymar photo make it onto this page haha B)

P's we definitely want Leeds up!!!
  • Nkp20mufc
    303 posts Sunday League Hero
    FIFA 18 comes out, we'll spend the rest of the year complimenting the dev team on what an amazing job they've done once again of ignoring most of the up and coming talents of the game from other leagues. And meanwhile PES show them how lazy they all are by adding about 700 new faces per month. The excuse the fifa team have is that they need more time to add the scan of a goalkeeper from a prem club that nobody has ever heard of and that may or may not actually even end up in the game. Or will mysteriously appear then disappear via a squad update.
  • Futbol22
    edited April 17
    Fabinho should also have a starhead in FIFA 18. Shocking if EA doesn't create starheads for Fabinho. Seems almost certain to move to the EPL this year.
  • Alright guys, new poster on here. Been wondering for a while now why EA don't send the starhead team to scan national sides as opposed to doing European teams here and there. That way we'd end up with a good portion of players who deserve starheads, along with a few up and comers who have received call ups. For example if they scanned Germany instead of Bayern last year, we would still have the likes of Boateng and Hummels but also with the bonus of youth players like Sane and Brandt who aren't going to get a scan unless they move to a PL side. I'd expect Sane to get his for FIFA 18 after his move to City last year, but it's frustrating playing with him for a year with them while he looks absolutely awful.

It looks as if we aren't going to get any new full league scans, so I think doing it this way would be the next best thing. It'd give us a huge selection of players with starheads from all over the world (possibly not South America because of EA's licensing problem with Brazil?) and it would make it better with players who move in the summer before the season starts, to have a higher chance of getting a scan. Any of you guys got thoughts on this?
  • tommy_p_5
    233 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    ElDiabl0 wrote: »
    Alright guys, new poster on here. Been wondering for a while now why EA don't send the starhead team to scan national sides as opposed to doing European teams here and there. That way we'd end up with a good portion of players who deserve starheads, along with a few up and comers who have received call ups. For example if they scanned Germany instead of Bayern last year, we would still have the likes of Boateng and Hummels but also with the bonus of youth players like Sane and Brandt who aren't going to get a scan unless they move to a PL side. I'd expect Sane to get his for FIFA 18 after his move to City last year, but it's frustrating playing with him for a year with them while he looks absolutely awful.

It looks as if we aren't going to get any new full league scans, so I think doing it this way would be the next best thing. It'd give us a huge selection of players with starheads from all over the world (possibly not South America because of EA's licensing problem with Brazil?) and it would make it better with players who move in the summer before the season starts, to have a higher chance of getting a scan. Any of you guys got thoughts on this?

They have scanned the German national team twice I think and USA appear to have been scanned before too. It's been suggested a few times that if EA sent a scanning team to an international tournament (similar to the women), they could scan national teams between games. The potential problem with this is that venues (and therefore teams) are often spread across a whole country and move to different locations.

The U20/21 Toulon tournament in June may be a decent shout to scan some up-and-coming talent (The 2014 tournament had players such as Rabiot, Kane, Marquinhos, 2013 = Kurzawa, Sidibe, Carrasco, Rafinha, Andre Gomes, 1998 = Lampard, Campbell, Fowler - Riquelme won best player).
  • Pwalie86
    Could Confederations Cup this year prove a chance to get some scans as well?
  • ManzGOTIT
    1449 posts Professional
    Brighton promoted which is cool
    Love their stadium as well
    Expect their starheads to be in
  • mickjacobjr
    382 posts Sunday League Hero
    ManzGOTIT wrote: »
    Brighton promoted which is cool
    Love their stadium as well
    Expect their starheads to be in

That's a given with their players scanned but doubt they will be scanned till later till near end of window in summer
  • Futbol22
    @nyx88 remember these days!

http://m.imgur.com/FgIoAad?r

• nyx88
    1119 posts Professional
    edited April 18
    @nyx88 remember these days!

http://m.imgur.com/FgIoAad?r

Of course i remember... the hope for a scanned bundesliga these days. But in the end it was only Bayern scanned and not even the whole squad.

It was actually this screenshot wich i have posted here ...i think it was last June or July.
    Ck-BvS5XIAUj1Ph.jpg
  • RollsReus
    1209 posts Professional
    quite happy with Brighton as they have a generic squad. Hoping they can get a decent player from abroad to be scanned like most promoted teams do, a la Pererya and Fischer.
  • DUKESTER-x
    2835 posts National Call-Up
    RollsReus wrote: »

I grew up near Leeds and I've wanted them to return to Premier League for many years now. With Garry Monk as boss they simply HAVE to get promoted!

I still think that the first year on Frostbite they decided not to spend as much time on scans and even stadiums to just focus on getting the game running. I'm not sure how it all works as I'm not a tech person, but everytime Fifa has a new engine the first year always seems a bit barren. Fifa 07 if I remember correctly only had 6-8 leagues on Xbox 360 version.

Found out there were even less stadiums than normal as well, so there's hope they will go all out this year. Can you imagine generics in 4K? :D Because not just resolution but textures as well.

I already have a very good 4K TV & PS4 Pro pretty much all scanned players look lifelike but the generics look disgustingly bad I refuse to have ANY generic near my FUT team.
  • henryclay1844
    525 posts Sunday League Hero
    Brighton is a good team to go up, but EA have failed to include a proper commentary that names teams like Brighton, Watford, Bournmouth and instead uses generic pronouns in commentary like "change for home team", "corner for team that is leading." I hope they improve the audio presentation for a bunch of teams along with the scans for the PL. The stadium pa announcements were one of the few nice surprises last year.