Day 5 of the World Cup - What are your predictions? Let us know here.

Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1316 posts Professional
    "It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A!"...

Sorry, I digressed. Big win over Houston, so maybe Seattle has figured a few things out?
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well played - nice win. A double from Montero and a clean sheet sounds like a good day at the office :)
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    Wonder what the record clean sheets are for the MLS?
    Well, Meola recorded 16 clean sheets with Kansas City... And then Rimando scored 14 with Salt Lake in 2010.
    Wikipedia apparently can read the future: they say there will be 15 clean sheets scored by Nielsen in 2012: they're not gonna happen in my opinion. :joy:
    Chris wrote: »
    10 clean sheets always start with 1, good job
    Thanks! Yeah, of course I needed to start somewhere. :D
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Big win over Houston, so maybe Seattle has figured a few things out?
    Surely. The centre-back duo put in a wonderful performance, and apparently Montero playing behind Fucito (and not on his side) seems to work better for both. :)
    BistroXII wrote: »
    A double from Montero and a clean sheet sounds like a good day at the office :)
    Thanks man! As we were fresh from two defeats in two matches, I would've signed also for a 1-0 win with a totally invented penalty in the loss time honestly.
    But yeah, it's been a very good display by the boys. Hopefully they can keep the momentum. :)

• ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Guys, this is going to be tough... But I know you can do it. Right?"
    This is Sigi speaking as usual, minutes before we leave the locker room and enter the pitch.

And it's once we are on the pitch that we really translate his words into action: Montero and Fucito form a wonderful duo upfront, and create trouble for Busch in any way they can.
    But there's another duo, at least as good as the one we have upfront and probably even more important, who's is here right in front of me: Hurtado and Parke once again are playing a flawless match. Every cross, every through ball, every opponent trying to dribble past them... Everything gets stopped with apparently no effort.

And it's Hurtado indeed who opens the ball to the right for Riley shortly before the half time whistle: Riley advances near the touchline, he knocks the ball toward the middle where Alonso reaches it. Alonso makes it run for Montero, who controls it perfectly. Fredy Montero gets his head up, sees Fucito, calls for the one-two and it's him again in front of the keeper... Fredy goes for the shot...
    1FfWgco.png
    Yes baby, the Sounders are ahead thanks to a great teamwork display finalized by Fredy Montero with a clinical strike!

The second half is the chance for a couple of players to get their breath back, as Sigi calls Alonso and Hurtado to the bench to send Evans and Ianni in. Without Hurtado we suffer a little more at the back, but Parke is everywhere. Every-bloody-where.
    It's mainly thanks to him that I've not made a single save yet tonight.

On the other side, Busch at times isn't enough. A dozen of minutes to the end, and Fucito finds again Montero all alone in the box. Fredy controls it, he places a controlled shot, and it's Bobby Burling clearing it when it's already past the keeper.
    fVLIGgm.png
    Tough luck, we're still 1-0 and we're holding out until the match is over, no-matter-what.
    Honorable mention to our man Lamar Neagle who, during the stoppage time, trolls an opponent by knocking the ball away before he could pick it up for a throw in:
    kgF83yC.png
    Bad boy Neagle in action. Look at the wonderful 'angel' look on his face... "Wasn't me!" :joy:

San Jose however don't have the time to complain, as shortly after the throw in the referee blows the final whistle.
    It's over my friends, the Sounders have won their second match in a row with another shutout, no less!
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Ashy
    7794 posts League Winner
    edited September 2016
    Fantastic result, looks like you might be creating a little winning streak here if this continues!
  • Greenman019
    2737 posts Fans' Favourite
    Another shut-out towards the CS goal. Wonder how long it'll continue.
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good result, well played Neagle - love that kind of stuff in a match :)
  • ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    Fantastic result, looks like you might be creating a little winning streak here if this continues!
    Another shut-out towards the CS goal. Wonder how long it'll continue.
    Thanks guys! Next match is against Chicago. I've lost 2-1 to them while playing some friendlies before getting the career underway (even if I was still playing FIFA 12 from time to time, I really needed to get my head around a couple of things before starting) but this time I hope it'll be different.
    They seem to struggle at the back, if we manage to score early enough it could turn into an easy win. :)
    Good result, well played Neagle - love that kind of stuff in a match :)
    Thanks! Honestly I wasn't expecting it to happen. But it happened so naturally that I thought "well, I need to take a screenshot of it". I agree it's a nice touch, like what happens when a player gets injured and receives treatment outside the field: if he's able to join the match again you can see him with his arm raised, trying to be seen by the referee so he could grant him the right to enter the pitch again.
  • ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Well done guys, well done! You absolutely played them off the park!"
    It's Sigi congratulating after the third win in a row, this time against Chicago.

"And what about you KK, don't tell me you're trying to record all of the 10 shutouts in a row! How many minutes have passed now since the last goal you conceded? 300 perhaps?"
    That's a pretty accurate guess, as they're indeed 295, to make three clean sheets in the last three matches.
    I'm still nowhere near Tony Meola's 16 shutouts in the 2000 MLS season (a season in which, for the record, he also spent more than 680 minutes in a row without conceding) but it's still something.

"Listen here, I want everyone to congratulate with our guys at the back for the brilliant performance and especially with our man from Lodi here, Pat, who played a wonderful match".
    Sigi gets close to Patrick Ianni and gives him a strong pat on the shoulder, making him almost choke with the water he was drinking.
    Today Ianni entered the pitch in the second half for Parke, and played great. He had indeed made a couple of mistakes in the match against San Jose, but I agree with Sigi: today he's been perfect and the praise is well deserved.

Surely he's been also helped by the result, as the match turned in our favour pretty early: after less than 10 minutes into play, Fucito scored the 1-0 goal with a hard shot along the ground which rebounded off a defender's foot becoming impossible to reach for their keeper Johnson.
    And the nightmare for Johnson had just begun: shortly after, it was Montero to score with a powerful left-foot screamer to the top corner, once again impossible for Johnson to reach, making it 2-0 for us:
    lmwrsUm.png
    They tried to react, but Parke and Hurtado proved impossible to get past.
    And things didn't change a bit when, five minutes into the second half, Sigi subbed Pat Ianni in for Parke who was complaining about an aching shoulder: Ianni won everything in the air, while Hurtado as usual held back our opponents with his strength.
    This man from Colombia, despite actually being the shortest centre back we have, is probably the most tough to get past. Here's him shielding the ball waiting for me to collect it, a scene that has been seen several times during the match:
    MlpMdmw.png
    Shortly before the end of the match, when we all thought it was over, a great display of teamwork by Alonso and Nate Jaqua led Fernández to find himself 20 metres far from goal with the ball on his left foot. He didn't have to think twice about it: he fired a shot that once again Johnson couldn't reach, making it 3-0:
    35OyOn0.png
    So, knowing Sigi, I already know he'll be bragging like there's no tomorrow with the press about this match and about the Sounders being back where they deserve: it has probably been our best match so far, and it brought us back in a playoff spot after a disastrous beginning of the season after all, so he has at least a little right to brag here.

From now on, consistency will be key: Philadelphia literally trashed us during the pre-season, it's about time we get our revenge.
  • Ashy
    7794 posts League Winner
    Consistency is key indeed, a massive 3-0 win, love that result it shows you dominated the game scored a few and kept another clean sheet!
  • ale85bg
    Consistency is key indeed, a massive 3-0 win, love that result it shows you dominated the game scored a few and kept another clean sheet!
    Thanks mate, it's indeed been a great match. And the most important thing, even more important than the result, is that I enjoyed playing this match a lot (well it applies to the entire career honestly, I'm having a lot of fun with this). :)
  • Greenman019
    Another big result. When will you next concede, never it seems :D
  • ale85bg
    Another big result. When will you next concede, never it seems :D
    Seeing how they outplayed us in the pre-season... I'd need a miracle to not concede against Philly. :joy:
  • Wyojasond
    8145 posts League Winner
    Sorry man, I've gotten a bit behind so I just went back and got caught up. Couple of massive victories! That clean sheet record looks like it is going down!
  • Virtual_K
    1316 posts Professional
    edited September 2016
    I intended to comment on the Neagle incident, but during my last series of comments I let you slip through the cracks, sorry. :'( It was funny; I captured one of those moments on video.

Keller is proving that age is all in the mind. Sure would like to get another glimpse of his calendar. ;)
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • theodom101
    484 posts Sunday League Hero
    Looked like a well deserved win there. Keep it up and Keller is a record breaker for sure.
  • Chris
    5236 posts Moderator
    Clean sheets for days now haha, going for a record or something? haha
  • JamieC
    679 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Some great results there :)
  • ale85bg
    That clean sheet record looks like it is going down!
    Oh well, Meola's record is a little far to be honest. 10 clean sheets would be more than enough. :)
    Sure would like to get another glimpse of his calendar. ;)
    Oh, knowing Sigi I believe something similar will come soon. :p
    theodom101 wrote: »
    Keep it up and Keller is a record breaker for sure.
    Well, he's still too young to break the "oldest MLS player ever" record... Maybe he could try doing something about those shutouts, even if Meola's record is almost unreachable. :joy:
    Chris wrote: »
    Clean sheets for days now haha, going for a record or something? haha
    I honestly haven't checked the longest shutout streak in the Sounders' history but if we've not done already better, we're surely close.
    JamieC wrote: »
    Some great results there :)
    Yeah, three wins in a row, without conceding no less, can be defined "great results". Thanks! :)

• BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Another good win, your on a bit of a roll :)
  • ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Keep it up guys, you've played a great first half against a difficult opponent!"
    This is Sigi trying to boost our morale: it's half time in Philadelphia and we're still 0-0.

It's been a very entertaining match despite the result though: Montero had a clear-cut chance but my fellow oldie Mondragón denied it with a great save, then 30 minutes into the match it's been my turn to say "no": Mwanga to McInerney, alone right outside the goal area. He tried to place a low ball at the bottom corner, I quicky went down and deflected it out for a corner.
    I don't know how I managed to reach it, as it was nearly point-blank. The only thing I know is that I deflected it with my hip and it crossed the line near the right side of the post. Well, 'right' for me at least: if you asked him I'm sure he'd say that it was the wrong side.

Shortly after that, it was Zach Scott to win a ball in a dangerous area right outside our box with a great tackle.
    4Hijd42.png
    They probably played better than us, but we once again proved tight enough at the back and it's been enough for the moment.

And now we're here, with Sigi trying to give us the right motivation to try and grab the fourth win in a row.
    "Zach, well done. Keep playing like this and you'll be a contender for the 'man of the match' award".
    Zach Scott wasn't supposed to play, but he had to enter the pitch after 5 minutes for Riley, who suffered a sprained ankle and who's now here with us in the locker with a huge ice bag on his foot.
    Sigi gets close and quickly grabs the bag, throwing it towards Neagle. "Oops! Sorry Jamie, I did it by accident!"
    Riley tries to complain, and it's Montero answering while handing the bag to me: "Be a man and stop whining Jamie, some 25 thousand people sprain their ankles everyday and no-one has ever died from it!"
    Everyone in the room laughs, it's good when there's this kind of banter between teammates, getting on well together is the most important part of being a team.

So we come out on the pitch with the right attitude and there's only us for like ten minutes. Then they grab the ball off Alonso, there's a through pass for McInerney: he's past Hurtado, he enters the box, he shields the ball from the oncoming Leo González and... He scores.
    uqM5HIY.png
    That's it, my clean sheet streak ends at minute 58, after 353 minutes without conceding. The home fans go wild, but as soon as they calm down I hear a roar coming from our fans. They're singing all together and it takes a little to me to understand what they're singing: it's the refrain of "We will rock you" by the Queen, but the words are "Kasey, Kasey Keller" instead. I raise my arms and gesture an applause towards them, and they roar again all together.
    Thank you guys, I love you all.

Even if we've conceded, we aren't giving up: it's minute 75 when Montero opens it on the left for Fernández, who controls it and sends it to the middle where Nate Jaqua is one-on-one with Mondragón. Jaqua fires a shot, Mondragón deflects it with his body but can't retain it and the ball rolls right into the path of Neagle.
    All of our fans are already rejoicing but Neagle fumbles it and nearly lets it bounce away, only to control it in the very end and knock in into the open goal. All squared, this is the equalizer!

Nothing more happens from here to the end of the match, but the most touching moment happens after the final whistle: with all the away fans singing "Kasey, Kasey Keller" again, all my teammates come towards me and hug me, patting me on the back.
    EziCtwZ.png
    The shutout streak has come to an end but you can be sure it's not over here: 10 clean sheets I promised, 10 clean sheets I'll deliver. Still 7 to go!

• Virtual_K
    1316 posts Professional
    It's quite a fan base the Sounders have who will travel 2300 miles for a road game in enough numbers for their chants to be heard on the pitch. Next to the Timbers Army, Seattle fans travel quite well, an underappreciated aspect of MLS. Good stretch of matches for Keller, I expect him to exceed 10 clean sheets. Still waiting for a peek of that calendar, and the league table to boot. :)
  • ale85bg
    I've read this thing about the Sounders' fans:
    Hanauer and team targeted a different audience: 18 to 40-year-old hardcore sports fans, the kind that would be there rain or shine, through thick and thin (and not at youth soccer tournaments across the state every weekend). “You know, the crazies that sit behind the goal and chant and sing the entire game,” laughs Hanauer.
    That kind of behaviour looks a lot like what European fans would do... And some European fans do indeed travel insane distances for matches! :joy:
  • ale85bg
    Another good win, your on a bit of a roll :)
    Well, the winning streak is over and so are the shutouts, but... Hopefully the undefeated run will keep on for some other matches! :)
  • Virtual_K
    1316 posts Professional
    ale85bg wrote: »
    That kind of behaviour looks a lot like what European fans would do... And some European fans do indeed travel insane distances for matches! :joy:

After rereading my post, I realized I was unclear. Europeans fans are at a level far and above what we have in the USA for the sport, but I see inspiring signs from Sounders and Timbers fans. Galaxy fans are pervasive, but more subdued. My underappreciated reference was geared more towards the travel distance an MLS teams endures during the regular season. Throw in trips to Central America for CONCACAF champions league and the frequent flier miles really add up, especially for Canadian teams. It's why we have conferences and a contributing factor (although much more complicated) to why relegation hasn't been adopted...yet (I expect at some point in the future it will exist in some form).
  • Wyojasond
    8145 posts League Winner
    ale85bg wrote: »

After rereading my post, I realized I was unclear. Europeans fans are at a level far and above what we have in the USA for the sport, but I see inspiring signs from Sounders and Timbers fans. Galaxy fans are pervasive, but more subdued. My underappreciated reference was geared more towards the travel distance an MLS teams endures during the regular season. Throw in trips to Central America for CONCACAF champions league and the frequent flier miles really add up, especially for Canadian teams. It's why we have conferences and a contributing factor (although much more complicated) to why relegation hasn't been adopted...yet (I expect at some point in the future it will exist in some form).

I would love to see the MLS adopt the relegation format. I tried explaining the concept to my NFL friends and they couldn't even imagine it. Of course a few of them are Raiders fans so there team would always be going down. Lol. Another great update Ale. Sorry to see the clean sheets stop but can't expect that to last forever.
  • Greenman019
    Another game unbeaten. Shame about the goal for you but as a team, looking very formidable.
  • theodom101
    484 posts Sunday League Hero
    Unlucky with the clean sheet streak ending. Still a good run though, keep it up.
  • ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    Thanks everyone! I'd also love to see some kind of promotion/relegation between MLS/NASL/USL but as it's been pointed out it's difficult at the moment mainly because it's not something belonging to American sports (yet).

5wIVKKZ.png

"OK guys, I'll be firm and direct: this is not the result I was hoping for".
    This is Sigi speaking, after we only managed to snatch a draw against Colorado. With a stoppage time goal from Fucito, no less.

"We've all been a little absent this evening. Haven't we, Zach?"
    Scott scored a somehow hilarious own goal to make it 2-1 for the Rapids at minute 69, and I'll be honest: I really thought we woud end up losing when he deflected a totally harmless cross into his own net.

Everything looked like it would go downhill for us since the beginning: it was just minute 12 when Parke asked for a substitution, holding his shoulder again.
    O7xKzTC.png
    With Ianni feeling off colour, it was Taylor Graham to enter the pitch instead.
    We managed to hold on until minute 35, then they scored.
    Graham completely lost his man: our opponent thanked and powered the ball home. Nothing I could really do about it unfortunately.

Luckily enough we're hard to die, and Fucito scored the equalizer right after half time:
    eNlcMTq.png

Joyce performed another brilliant save against Montero (who else?) shortly after, meaning that the score would remain balanced... Until Scott scored.
    In the wrong goal.
    Yeah, he collected a low cross from their right wing, but he only managed to let the ball bounce against his shin and go in. Once again, no-one could do anything about it. Apart from Zach, obviously.

When everything looked like lost, it was Montero to lead the attack once again. In the stoppage time he went on a run by himself, only to find himself all alone in front of Joyce and hit the post. Luckily enough for us, our man Mike Fucito was there: he collected the ball after it bounced off the post, he controlled it and he gently knocked it between the posts.

Sigi isn't really happy with this performance and neither am I honestly, but the undefeated run goes on.
    In spite of this, I really expect Sigi to have something to say about this match.
    I'm already foreseeing his "KK, do you mind having a word?" when he enters the training pith tomorrow.

Well, let's sleep over it. Tomorrow is another day.
  • BistroXII
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Still a good draw and a good little comeback after the 69th minute own goal.