Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Question: Given the job Xumetra has done in the absence of Flores, will he be given the chance to keep his starting spot, or are you looking to bring Flores back as soon as possible...or will you just ask Siri to flip a coin?
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Dear journal,

We're halfway through January and I really wish I could turn back time and reach Christmas Eve again.
    First and foremost, I would never let Andreas enter that cursed ice rink... And then, with Andreas, maybe the results would be different.
    We haven't really shined lately. To be honest, we've been really really poor: three points in three matches aren't enough at all if we want to end above mid-table...

3YqQGVo.png

Siy2WZ1.png

IBWAL4T.png

This wonderful run of form won't make the fans and the press more friendly in tomorrow's press conference unfortunately, will it?
    Maybe it's time to call it a night and to have some rest, tomorrow answering to all those questions won't be easy.

See you tomorrow dear journal, wish me luck!
  • IAmLikingFlame
    3874 posts National Call-Up
    Yikes that's a crappy month... my advice would be to score more and concede less.
  • Greenman019
    2432 posts Fans' Favourite
    With your form suffering as of late, are you at risk of being drawn into a relegation battle?
  • Danimal5981
    523 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm from the #DutchDugOut: I would like to know if the target of Levante has changed, given the fact you're so little amount of points away from European football?

Are you targeting any reinforcements during the winter transfer window and for which positions?

Don't you think a little more discipline on public channels and social media should be in order? Little children are gossiping on all kinds of fora....
  • Chip
    203 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Damn, you need goals son
  • subpop
    766 posts An Exciting Prospect
    In your opinion, which are the priorities to reinforce the team?

• ale85bg
    Dear journal,

the day has come. I dressed up, I took the metro from the hotel to the stadium, and now I'm here in the press room. There are not many people, but the majority of the ones in here don't look exactly friendly-minded. Let's see what hapens...
    oxq7tBn.png
    I sit down, there's a board member by my side. He tells me that I can refuse to answer a question if I don't find it fit, but I turn to him and say "I said any, and I meant any". He tells me not to worry, that it won't take long. Right now I feel like I'm a man sentenced to death who's going to be shot, if I have to be honest.
    Then, he says "we can begin", addressing the audience. So it begins.

Given the job Xumetra has done in the absence of El Zhar, will he be given the chance to keep his starting spot, or are you looking to bring El Zhar back as soon as possible... Or will you just ask Siri to flip a coin?
    Well, if I had to ask for advice I'd reach out to Sigi, not certainly to Siri... Jordi Xumetra has been wonderful during El Zhar's absence, and he won himself a place in the starting XI. El Zhar is being re-introduced gradually as you can see from the most recent matches: ten minutes against Atlético, half an hour against Deportivo, a half against Elche. He isn't fit for the 90 minutes yet, and Jordi is getting tired... So I believe this one is the best option.

Mr. Keller, what about the other injury? How do you respond to the allegations that you intentionally rigged the ice to intentionally make Ivanschitz slip and injure himself to try to cover up an affair involving Sigi Schmid and Ivanschitz's wife?
    Well, forcing Andreas to stay home instead of training and playing isn't exactly the best way to help his wife have an affair, don't you think? Anyway I know Sigi: he's way too lazy to have an affair so far from where he lives. The thing here is that we must find a way to prevent such injuries from happening again.

Yikes that's a crappy month... Maybe also due to injuries. My advice would be to score more and concede less.
    Thanks for the advice, we're exactly trying to achieve that. I'm sure that this one will be the ideal solution fo the team but unfortunately it's not so easy to achieve.

Damn, you need goals son
    I know it! We're working on it... Injuries have somehow spoiled our season so far, even if I'm really happy about the replacements. Both Jordi Xumetra and Rubén García have been great when called on the pitch, so I believe we're on the right track.

It surely must be due to injuries, but... With your form suffering as of late, are you at risk of being drawn into a relegation battle?
    The table is really tight here in the middle. All the teams are packed and, well, it could be.
    A couple of bad results more and we'll find ourselves in 15th or 16t position unfortunately. Yet a couple of good results and we could end up being 7th.

I'm from the #DutchDugOut: I would like to know if the target of Levante has changed, given the fact you're so little amount of points away from European football?
    Well, we're really close to both red zone and Europa League spots. It all depends on the results of the next to and a half months... Who knows, maybe we could access Europa League via the Copa del Rey!

Are you targeting any reinforcements during the winter transfer window and for which positions?
    We're following a couple of players but there's nothing more I can say now. The starters are good enough at the moment, any change would be made to ensure more depth.

In your opinion, which are the priorities to reinforce the team?
    As I believe that the starting XI is good enough, and that we have plenty of depth upfront (García, Martins, Barral, Xumetra are all players that can play upfront) and enough in the middle, maybe we'll do something at the back. Don't expect huge signings though, as I said depth is what we're looking for.

Don't you think a little more discipline on public channels and social media should be in order? Little children are gossiping on all kinds of fora....
    You're talkin' about the Pepe vs. El Zhar quarrel, aren't you? El Zhar might aswell have overreacted but let's face it, it's been a reckless challenge which deserved a straight red. Period. I can see why he got mad.

Do you like pizza? Because rumour has it Levante is for sale and a famous Italian entrepreneur is interested in buying...
    I don't know anything about the board and Levante being up for sale. You should really ask the board about that. Anyway, I do like pizza so even the alleged new owner decided to employ it as the official lunch of the club, that would be OK with me. It won't be much OK with the players though, do you imagine them after a month or two of eating pizza each and every day?

Did you hear about Platini's new idea, the European Club Superleague? What do you think about it?
    I've heard about the idea and I find it quite interesting but I haven't read anything in depth about it yet, to be honest.
    While it surely looks convenient for big clubs (as they wouldn't have to travel to the outskirts of a far Eastern Europe country's capital to win a match 5-0 without even putting any effort in it anymore), I don't know how smaller clubs would be able to feature in it.
    I mean, let's say they replace the current Champions League with a 20-teams round robin tournament, then what? What are all the other teams supposed to do? Domestic leagues?
    Do you really believe that a Liga BBVA season without Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atlético (just sayin' the first three names from the top of my head here) would attract much audience? I don't think so, unfortunately.

So what would you suggest?
    Different tiers maybe? Like ECSL-1 with the best teams, ECSL-2 with mid-table ones and ECSL-3 with weaker ones... Then, promotion and relegation inside these tiers, and between these league structure and domestic leagues.
    This would surely mean something more for mid-table clubs in my opinion. One would go to see a Levante vs. Atalanta match in ECSL-3 than a Levante vs. Ponferradina in Liga BBVA in my opinion, and would prevent very weak teams (sorry Ponferradina fans) to enter the ECSL structure without being strong enough.

Then, the board member asks for any more questions, and no-one answers. Luckily enough, I must say. It's not been that short, I doubt I would be able to stand this press conference much longer...

We salute everyone and slowly exit the room from one side, while the press and the fans exit it from the opposite one.
    It's been better than I had expected, dear journal, but I'm really dead tired. And I really need to read further into that Platini idea, it doesn't sound that bad in my opinion with some tweaks.
  • Wyojasond
    7727 posts League Winner
    What a month :s team needs some major changes going forward for sure. Apologies again for falling so far behind. That Platini idea sounds pretty amazing.
  • Greenman019
    Nice press conference write up :)
  • Chip
    He does like Pizza

Pizza is a great food, Carbs, Fat and Protein

Brilliant stuff
  • ale85bg
    edited March 8
    Apologies again for falling so far behind. That Platini idea sounds pretty amazing.
    You don't have to apologize... And yes, it sounds like a great idea, if I only had the time to implement it and to find the right "fixes" to key problems!!! :confounded:

Nice press conference write up :)
    Thank you man, glad it's appreciated even if it turned out being pretty long.

Chip wrote: »
    He does like Pizza
    Pizza is a great food, Carbs, Fat and Protein
    Brilliant stuff
    Who doesn't like pizza after all? By the way, what's this thing with pizza? I don't understand...

Dear journal,

another month has ended and we're still around mid-table. While this is in line with the board's expectations, I don't hide that I would've loved to be in a better position by now, table wise.
    But hey, at least the Copa del Rey round against Valencia is still open: we managed to snatch a draw, which should've really been a win, at the Ciutat de Valencia, and now we're going to the Mestalla knowing that we can defeat them.

w2SbfvX.png

In the league, things aren't really going bad: after defeating Elche in the first half of the month, we defeated also Villarreal, away from home. Something no one would've foreseen. Then, well, we had to accept that Athletic Bilbao is most likely better than us, even if they played all the match with the intent to have us leave the pitch in pain. El Zhar and Víctor had to be brought out after facing harsh challenges, and they actually managed to intimidate us to the point that we couldn't manage a single shot on goal. They did one, and they succeeded. That's life.

yQ7lZ0G.png

Bful4IP.png

• Danimal5981
    Exactly what I proposed in the help thread. All nice and well to make up your own questions but it becomes more authentic when you need to respond to in-story words, remarks, criticism and questions from others.
  • Chip
    Pizza is just great. I miss it, haven't had Pizza in like 3 weeks. :disappointed:

Decentish results, win the Copa
  • JoshDFC
    745 posts An Exciting Prospect
    dropped down the table a bit after some difficult results but not a bad three games even with the loss considering who you played
  • Greenman019
    Exactly what I proposed in the help thread. All nice and well to make up your own questions but it becomes more authentic when you need to respond to in-story words, remarks, criticism and questions from others.

Was a good idea and it turned out well for this one. I think Virtual_K did one as well which was also good.

Anyways few good results on the whole. Would be nice to progress in the cup but Valencia away will be tough.
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    I believe @ale85bg Calcio Como thread was the first time I came across the writer asking the readers questions and then incorporating that into the story. I know other people have done it before, including myself. It is a good idea whoever started it.

Some mixed results as of late. I think winning the cup has grown increasingly important, but you might want to sit Juanfran out for that match. :D

• ale85bg
    edited March 9
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    dropped down the table a bit after some difficult results but not a bad three games even with the loss considering who you played
    Yeah, the matches have been against difficult opposition, but we managed to gather some points anyway and that's all important. Plus, we're taking on Valencia and we still have a chance to advance.
    Exactly what I proposed in the help thread.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I believe ale85bg Calcio Como thread was the first time I came across the writer asking the readers questions and then incorporating that into the story.
    Was a good idea and it turned out well for this one. I think Virtual_K did one as well which was also good.
    Thanks guys! I like experimenting so it may be that it was me introducing the "other postes" ask thing... I don't remember honestly but it's surely fun: not only it "forces" you to think about answers that you wouldn't have given to yourself, but it could also show you new ways to develop the story that you wouldn't have considered otherwise. See the thing about the new owner, which I wouldn't have thought about without Chip's question. :)

Chip wrote: »
    Pizza is just great. I miss it, haven't had Pizza in like 3 weeks. :disappointed:
    Decentish results, win the Copa
    I also love it... I use to have it once a week, so...
    For the Copa, we're working on it. Maybe I'll leave Juanfran out as suggested, as we signed a CB in the winter transfer window so maybe it's time to see how he plays! :D

az50JcD.png

• subpop
    Hopefully you can reinforce the team to push for higher objetives. Probably the team is where they should be... but I wish you can find the way to grow.

BTW... I really liked the interview and I agree with @Danimal5981.
  • ale85bg
    subpop wrote: »
    BTW... I really liked the interview and I agree with @Danimal5981.
    Thanks man, much appreciated! :)

Meanwhile, January also means transfer market... We haven't been that active on the market, and all in all it's been a pretty dull transfer session. The biggest deal has been Vela from Real Sociedad to Manchester United... Go figure! :joy:

vNaxRTo.png
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Still some hope that Keller can get his team to qualify for Europe whether its Copa del Rey or climbing the table a few more spots. Hope Landon does well in Germany. :)
  • Greenman019
    Bang mid table, that's alright.
  • Wyojasond
    7727 posts League Winner
    Moving up nicely and only 8 points off of second. Not bad at all. Still a chance to make a run in the second half of the season for Europe
  • ale85bg
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Still some hope that Keller can get his team to qualify for Europe whether its Copa del Rey or climbing the table a few more spots.
    Well, surely not by winning the Copa apaprently... We would've been quailfied until minute 93... Then they scored the winner. Awful, awful feeling. I almost wanted to reload and replay the match, I felt really defrauded, really ripped off.
    ISzeTJE.png

Bang mid table, that's alright.
    Still a chance to make a run in the second half of the season for Europe
    Well we'll hardly go anywhere if we keep performing like this. Too many points dropped, too mixed results...

cItzzvH.png

Ii8620k.png

myEYXeJ.png

• Greenman019
    That sucks. Pretty much the last kick of the game but it is Valencia I guess, they're a good side. Not really recovered from it yet it seems, in a bit of a rut still.
  • IAmLikingFlame
    3874 posts National Call-Up
    Aw damn that's an awful feeling every time. :( You've still got a lot of work to do with this club
  • Danimal5981
    if all games among all teams are leveled, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'relegation ghost' looming. You need a string of good results....and fast.
  • Virtual_K
    1006 posts Professional
    Ahhh! Stoppage time goals are the worst! :s Can't really fault Keller for the Barcelona loss; at least he wasn't leading 4-0 on aggregate. :D European qualification just got tougher.
  • Wyojasond
    7727 posts League Winner
    :s Damn, such a brutal month. Need to turn it around quickly or risk a relegation battle instead of a European one
  • subpop
    It looks like Europe is only a dream with these results. As you say, they are mixed... I don't think you will end up in relegation battles, but you would really need a great run of results to think about Europe... it seems too unlikely.

And LaCopa... what a shame... in the 93 vs Valencia. Too painful.