FIFA 17 Starhead Thread

RollsReus
1169 posts Professional
edited June 2016
STARHEAD THREAD

Ladies & Gentleman, it's that wonderful time of the year again when rumours start sprinkling out of the EA HQ about the details of the latest instalment of the FIFA series that gets us all excited in anticipation of the new release in September. As is tradition, this thread will keep on top of the news we find throughout the remainder of our wait for the game whilst acting as a hub for us fans of the aesthetic side to discuss the fine details through-out the 12 month period.

The Starhead Thread officially started way back in 2011 for the future release of FIFA 12 by a user by the name of Chase Watterson. Prior to that, we had a fairly large thread detailing the debut of starheads for FIFA 11. Since the first Starhead Thread; the interest and demand for starheads has grew larger with every edition of FIFA. The FIFA 16 Starhead Thread was the largest actual thread on the FIFA Forums -- with just under 1 million views and over 6 thousand comments as of writing -- which is a great achievement in itself when you consider the popularity of the Ultimate Team section. For this, I thank each and every one of you for contributing throughout the years. We are all equally responsible for this accolade and I'm sure the FIFA 17 version of this thread will only build on this success. Throughout the years, we have seen many users come and go. Each have helped and contributed to our efforts. You know who you are. Once again, thank you.

Now. Enough of this sappy stuff. Since this is a forum, there will be rules we will need to abide to:-
  • This thread is for player face discussion only, for discussion of everything else to do with FIFA 17 please use the FIFA 17 News Thread.
  • Please use the Off Topic section to discuss PES. A small amount of PES face discussion is allowed in here but only for comparison purposes. Anything else/excessive PES face discussion will be removed.
  • We understand graphics aren't everyone's cup of tea. Please be aware that we also want gameplay updates and fixes but this thread is solely just for starheads. EA have numerous departments working on different aspects of the game. There are gameplay-specific threads for you to air your thoughts.
  • Please be respectful of everyone's opinion. Arguing for the sake of arguing will get us nowhere.
Post edited by Alastair on

Comments

• RollsReus
    1169 posts Professional
    edited June 2016
    For those of you who are not familiar with what a starhead is, it occurs when a team is dispatched by EA to a football clubs training facilities where they sit the team down in their makeshift studio to take a number of photos in which - over time - they are applied to a players' in-game face. The results are quite outstanding.

There are 4 different types of faces in FIFA. They are the following:-

Scanned
    when a player receives the treatment mentioned above.

FGN386-0.jpg

Starhead
    When a team sent by EA take multiple pictures with one camera to apply to players' in-game counterpart.

maxresdefault.jpg

Custom
    when the players' in-game is designed by the graphics team without the aid of a photoshoot.

maxresdefault.jpg

Generic
    when a player has a in-game face that is modelled on them without going into great detail.

nainggolan.jpg
    Post edited by RollsReus on
  • RollsReus
    1169 posts Professional
    edited November 2016
    FIFA 17
    Bayern Munchen
    Inter Milan
    Premier League (rescan)
    Juventus (rescan)
    Additions to the Women's roster

FIFA 16
    2014/2015 Barclays Premier League (rescan)
    Bournemouth
    Watford
    Norwich
    Real Madrid
    FC Barcelona (rescan)
    Entire Women's Roster
    Paris Saint Germain (rescan)
    Olympique de Marseille (rescan)
    Olympique Lyonnais (rescan)
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

FIFA 15
    2013/2014 Barclays Premier League (minus Fulham and Cardiff City)
    Leicester City
    Burnley
    QPR

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
    USA National Team

FIFA 14
    Lille OSC
    Olympique de Marseille (rescan)
    Olympique Lyonnais (rescan)
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Everton
    Newcastle (rescan)
    Borussia Dortmund
    Atletico Madrid
    FC Barcelona
    Liverpool
    Aston Villa (rescan)
    AC Milan (rescan)
    Arsenal (rescan)
    Chelsea (rescan)
    German National Team (rescan)
    Valencia (rescan)

FIFA 13
    Hamburger
    Valencia
    Germany National Team(rescan)
    Manchester City (rescan)
    Chelsea (rescan)

FIFA 12
    Aston Villa
    Newcastle United
    Manchester City
    AC Milan
    Germany National Team
    Olympique de Marseille
    Paris Saint Germain
    Vancouver Whitecaps

FIFA 11
    Juventus
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Bordeaux

Top teams that are in desperate need of treatment

VFL Wolfsburg, Schalke 04, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, RB Leipzig, Sevilla, Paris Saint Germain (rescan), AS Monaco, Lazio, Fiorentina, Napoli, A.S Roma, AC Milan (rescan), FC Porto, Benfica, Sporting C P, Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe, Beşiktaş, Zenit Saint Petersburg, R.S.C Anderlecht. It would also be awesome to get some National Team scans like we used to with the German National Team.

List of every face in the game thus far:- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HhMWoWlhUflxU_-pD8CQyPpAqmrQEoz_QBd384Ic1M0/pubhtml#
    Post edited by RollsReus on
  • jul1anr1k
    57 posts Park Captain
    Great work, mate! :)

Fingers crossed for many new faces. Oh, and Frostbite Engine.
  • Steph3998
    944 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Nice presentation B) Can't wait for FIFA 17 news !
  • FifaBoy2007
    592 posts Sunday League Hero
    Nice work as always @RollsReus !!

Here's hoping (with the news of Frostbite) EA have finally pulled their finger out!

P.S. Bundesliga shouldn't have re-scan next to it as it hasn't been scanned yet.
  • Low Ki
    7537 posts League Winner
    jul1anr1k wrote: »

Don't expect too much, FIFA's always been rushed through development. Most genes using these new engines need massive work to port it from one engine (Ignite in this case) to another (Frostbite).

IMO it won't be until FIFA 18 where they fully utilise Frostbite at least.
  • FifaBoy2007
    Low Ki wrote: »

Don't expect too much, FIFA's always been rushed through development. Most genes using these new engines need massive work to port it from one engine (Ignite in this case) to another (Frostbite).

Scary thing is they worked on Fifa 14 for 2 years using Ignite :joy:
  • nyx88
    1004 posts Professional

But they started working on Fifa 17 already in at least 2014.
  • jul1anr1k
    57 posts Park Captain

I know. I'm not expecting great things the first year, if it's true, but the sooner they drop Ignite, the better, as it will benefit the game in future releases. Frostbite is a much better engine than Ignite, which is just a glorified last-gen engine.

Looks like PES 2017 is going to be incredible either way, so if EA can't fully utilize the engine until next year, that's fine by me. I'll buy both anyways - as usual.

• FifaBoy2007
    nyx88 wrote: »

Says who?
  • I hope the frostbite is a reality.
  • nyx88
    1004 posts Professional

Says who?

Peter Moore said that in 2014!
    "You have parallel development that goes on where you have frontrunners that are thinking about what FIFA 16 is and in some instances FIFA 17 because there are development and engineering and tech decisions that need to be made.”

https://www.vg247.com/2014/08/11/ea-is-already-working-on-fifa-16-and-17/
  • FifaBoy2007

Says who?

"You have parallel development that goes on where you have frontrunners that are thinking about what FIFA 16 is and in some instances FIFA 17 because there are development and engineering and tech decisions that need to be made.”

Yes as in what goes on as in ideas etc and the steps to make that happen, they're always planning, they don't just decide one year this is what we will do for the next Fifa, my point is they sad that in 2012 about Fifa 14, lol, but look what we have 3 years later..
  • Cesc
    89 posts Park Captain
    @ RollsReus

You should change the Aubameyang picture as your one is a modded face made by AmaroWaade :smiley:
  • nyx88
    1004 posts Professional

Says who?

Yes as in what goes on as in ideas etc and the steps to make that happen, they're always planning, they don't just decide one year this is what we will do for the next Fifa, my point is they sad that in 2012 about Fifa 14, lol, but look what we have 3 years later..

What do we have three years later? A game that looks pretty much te same every year thats for sure but i think things can only get better with frostbite 3. They have worked on implementing it in fifa for at least two years. Maybe they did not put that much work into ignite anymore because they were developing fifa 17 already. And they can share technologies now between games and studios. For example mass effect and mirrors edge will use crowd technologies from rory m ilroy pga tour. There is a whole team that worked or is working on hair effects wich can be shared between all frostbite 3 based games. And frostbite evolves. Maybe they will announce frostbite 4 at e3 ... who knows.
  • RollsReus
    1169 posts Professional
    Thank you, gentleman. Here's to a great year!
    Cesc wrote: »
    @ RollsReus

You should change the Aubameyang picture as your one is a modded face made by AmaroWaade :smiley:
    ahh. If anyone can find a decent custom face that's present in FIFA 16, I'd be very grateful.
  • simsieg
    9369 posts League Winner
    edited June 2016
    Really hope they've scanned a new league this year.
    Post edited by Alastair on
  • Cesc
    89 posts Park Captain
    edited June 2016
    RollsReus wrote: »
    ahh. If anyone can find a decent custom face that's present in FIFA 16, I'd be very grateful.
    > https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6rf6uyRKmFE/maxresdefault.jpg

Three custom faces at once :smiley:
  • ManzGOTIT
    1291 posts Professional
    HELLO ELLO ELLOOOOOO HERE WE GOOOOO!!!!!!
    Officially the start of the FIFA 17 journey; here's hoping for a better year than last years shambles

Nice work Reusy @RollsReus
  • viva Colonia
    1066 posts Professional
    edited June 2016
    reus. everytime i see his face ig i question myself how this can still be the same damn fifa 12 face. unbelievable
  • jul1anr1k
    57 posts Park Captain
    Only 10 days left until we get to see some faces. Hang in there, fellas.
  • Futbol22
    399 posts Sunday League Hero
    Cheers RollsReus! Hopefully this year we will get more starheads than last.
  • RollsReus
    1169 posts Professional
    many thanks, lads. Like I said, it's not my baby. It's all of us that makes this thing.

Also thanks, @Cesc. Mucho appreciated!
  • tommy_p_5
    221 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Here we go again...
    News and leaks seem even less this time round, with only four pictures of scanning I think.
    There seemed to be a big build-up last year with the result being underwhelming, so this year I'm being sceptical.
  • Futbol22
    399 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited June 2016
    reus. everytime i see his face ig i question myself how this can still be the same damn fifa 12 face. unbelievable

Unbelievable that they would leave it for so long.... One of the best!
  • Tobes
    78 posts Park Captain
    Whoooo hopefully a few leaks soon
  • Limatheus
    82 posts Park Captain

13310581_731168163691544_4133870011778901779_n.jpg?oh=640a63c3388fa55f789b5dd61a4dcbfb&oe=580D331D&__gda__=1472353681_9e5de7cb8b7f5f392ddcd45006e4961e
  • ManzGOTIT
    1291 posts Professional
    edited June 2016
    Limatheus wrote: »
    13310581_731168163691544_4133870011778901779_n.jpg?oh=640a63c3388fa55f789b5dd61a4dcbfb&oe=580D331D&__gda__=1472353681_9e5de7cb8b7f5f392ddcd45006e4961e

Interesting this is, does that mean that FIFA 17 will be a new game graphically?
    Post edited by ManzGOTIT on
  • diegoLacamara
    70 posts Park Captain
    I've always read this threads, first time commenting, hope we finally get good news in the face department, I'm tired of Serie A been so left over, it's time EA step up.
  • ManzGOTIT
    1291 posts Professional
    what does that mean?
    I've always read this threads, first time commenting, hope we finally get good news in the face department, I'm tired of Serie A been so left over, it's time EA step up.

I think it wont be FIFA 17, because in terms of importance Bundesliga and La Liga are better and are most likely to receive better treatment
    BUT Thats not according to me, I love Serie A this is how EA sees things

However players like Dybala, Naingolan, Handanovic etc. need faces
This discussion has been closed.